F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > BMW and Brexit
GetBMWParts

06-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

BMW and Brexit

BMW joins Airbus in Brexit warning - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44582831
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Airbus I can see moving, although I believe there could be technical workarounds put in place.

Even then with airbus and it's defence arm, it's not clear how it would justify closing UK plants but not other none EU plants.

With BMW, bit like cutting your throat, close UK manufacturing, move it to Europe then play extra tax to sell a more expensive product to one of its biggest markets.

Back to airbus, if it removed UK jobs, it would also lose a tech capability and put some new contracts at risk (NATO comms upgrade etc).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Didn't Airbus say they were looking at possibly moving to the US? Which is also not in the EU?
I think BMW will be more worried about 20% Trump tax on an important market
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Bit of sabre rattling spured on by the treasury to prove a point before the customs union vote next week.
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Look at how many EU grants have been given to move factories and production from the UK to other EU countries. How many are moved from other EU states to other countries not Inc the UK.

Yes some costs are cheaper but the number is quite alarming.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Doesn’t matter how many companies issue warnings, we’re still going ahead with the utter fucktardedness of Brexit no matter what, it seems, just to keep those cretins who voted for it happy!
Appreciate 6
rlmesq1038.50
willjames709.00
F30Andy1774.00
JD64270.50
Dyl432.50
      06-23-2018, 01:13 AM   #7
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

It is utter shite whichever way you look at it. Brexit is a cunts dream with 10000 different opinions backed up by 10000 different reports.

We’re fucked now, we’ve just got to try and make the most of a shit turd sandwiche. I spend my life in the cream of uk manufacturing companies and to a man, resources, energy, effort and enthusiasm are being diverted to working our what the fuck are we going to do, given today’s latest pile of wank stained news. All that energy and effort and funding was supposed to be going into developing innovative, high quality products the rest of the world wants to buy.

There’s billions being put into the uk specifically to ramp up the technology and innovation rape to send back to the home country which is usually China or India. This is accelerating down the food chain into uk start ups, a complete cluster fuck.

And the real kicker is that the figures will show short term we’re all doing well and in 15 or 20 years time we’ll wonder why the uk has lost its innovation sparkle to 5billion Chinese and Indian citizens living the dream.

Airbus, hmm, we’ll see, that’s a big ask to work out how to make wings from the ground up. BMW, MB et al, they’ve deep pockets, deeper than an even an extended term of that spam face gimp herding cottager.

It’s all about the legacy and ours will be ‘what the fuck, you all made this decision and you hadn’t even thought about the outcome either way? Cunts’.

And I fucking despise that utter self serving shit Corbyn, my only slight glimmer of satisfaction when I see the placenta faced stool is that the popular press assures me that when Diane ‘numbers’ abbot was fisting him she went in dry.

Weather looks good, have a lovely weekend everyone and don’t forget the sun cream if you’re outdoors.
teaston10994.50
sahajesh2294.00
      06-23-2018, 01:26 AM   #8
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Most of the leavers I know now think Brexit is a bad idea given what they know now.

It’s only the thick twats that still think it’s good idea, just wait until it’s more expensive for them to fly to Alicante for their weeks holiday in Benidorm then they’ll be crying into their full cooked.
Appreciate 4
willjames709.00
F30Andy1774.00
Derrymilk190.00
Dyl432.50
      06-23-2018, 01:29 AM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
It is utter shite whichever way you look at it. Brexit is a cunts dream with 10000 different opinions backed up by 10000 different reports.

We’re fucked now, we’ve just got to try and make the most of a shit turd sandwiche. I spend my life in the cream of uk manufacturing companies and to a man, resources, energy, effort and enthusiasm are being diverted to working our what the fuck are we going to do, given today’s latest pile of wank stained news. All that energy and effort and funding was supposed to be going into developing innovative, high quality products the rest of the world wants to buy.

There’s billions being put into the uk specifically to ramp up the technology and innovation rape to send back to the home country which is usually China or India. This is accelerating down the food chain into uk start ups, a complete cluster fuck.

And the real kicker is that the figures will show short term we’re all doing well and in 15 or 20 years time we’ll wonder why the uk has lost its innovation sparkle to 5billion Chinese and Indian citizens living the dream.

Airbus, hmm, we’ll see, that’s a big ask to work out how to make wings from the ground up. BMW, MB et al, they’ve deep pockets, deeper than an even an extended term of that spam face gimp herding cottager.

It’s all about the legacy and ours will be ‘what the fuck, you all made this decision and you hadn’t even thought about the outcome either way? Cunts’.

And I fucking despise that utter self serving shit Corbyn, my only slight glimmer of satisfaction when I see the placenta faced stool is that the popular press assures me that when Diane ‘numbers’ abbot was fisting him she went in dry.

Weather looks good, have a lovely weekend everyone and don’t forget the sun cream if you’re outdoors.
There is more to airbus than wings, it's a rather large consortium which includes both civilian and defence. It is also not just focused on aircraft but also other areas.

Agree with the rest, although industry in the UK began a death by 1000 cuts by moving manufacturing to China etc.

As a footnote, China is now becoming too expensive and companies are looking elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 03:28 AM   #10
Cero ceto
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport+

I think it s great and the sooner we are out of that carupt organisation the better. The only reason we may not get a God deal is because of all the idiots complaining about leaving which are playing right into Europes hand. Mark my word that if we don't get a good deal then the blame lies squarely with those idiots trying to stop it!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 03:59 AM   #11
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Most of us really don't know if it'll work out for the best or not. It's political posturing at the mo.

I voted to remain. But I'm cool with us leaving. Do we really want to be joined at the hip with the Italys, Greeks and Spains?

My first thought at the news that BMW might stop UK production was to say ok, it's goodbye then. I'll look at something else. On a bigger scale, do BMW want that?
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2018, 04:12 AM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consett Mag View Post
Most of us really don't know if it'll work out for the best or not. It's political posturing at the mo.

I voted to remain. But I'm cool with us leaving. Do we really want to be joined at the hip with the Italys, Greeks and Spains?

My first thought at the news that BMW might stop UK production was to say ok, it's goodbye then. I'll look at something else. On a bigger scale, do BMW want that?
Pretty much same here, I voted remain but believe everyone should get behind getting a deal.

Nynorsk that has had experience of sorting out a commercial agreement will understand the need for a United front and not have a clear backing without in house fighting or disagreement.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 04:13 AM   #13
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIIJAR View Post
I think it s great and the sooner we are out of that carupt organisation the better. The only reason we may not get a God deal is because of all the idiots complaining about leaving which are playing right into Europes hand. Mark my word that if we don't get a good deal then the blame lies squarely with those idiots trying to stop it!
This the favourite bad brexit argument I see. If it's bad, it's the fault of the people that always thought it would be bad. Not the fucktards that wanted it, didn't realise just how fucking complicated it would be and forced it through on an emotional vote. Then they've had to go through with it at pace because they'd built up such vitriolic hatred within the country.
I voted remain, I still think being in is better than out but the EU does need a radical overhaul. I also believe just as strongly that we could thrive outside the EU but what it needs is a whole lot of research, discussion and planning as the EU touches almost every part of how we function as a country. Part of that planning should have been done pre-referendum, but no one thought they'd win. It should certainly have been done prior to article 50 being pushed through.
If it turns out to be the shit show that we all now fear it's not because people haven't backed it, it's because the incompetent clowns running it and the even bigger incompetent cunt that's supposed to be in opposition.
Appreciate 3
JD64270.50
      06-23-2018, 04:24 AM   #14
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I've never bought a plane, but I have bought a few bimmers

If they get arsy there's always a c43 amg

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #15
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobB View Post
I think it's a great idea
You do fit the bill of my post so I’m not surprised
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #16
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
This the favourite bad brexit argument I see. If it's bad, it's the fault of the people that always thought it would be bad. Not the fucktards that wanted it, didn't realise just how fucking complicated it would be and forced it through on an emotional vote. Then they've had to go through with it at pace because they'd built up such vitriolic hatred within the country.
I voted remain, I still think being in is better than out but the EU does need a radical overhaul. I also believe just as strongly that we could thrive outside the EU but what it needs is a whole lot of research, discussion and planning as the EU touches almost every part of how we function as a country. Part of that planning should have been done pre-referendum, but no one thought they'd win. It should certainly have been done prior to article 50 being pushed through.
If it turns out to be the shit show that we all now fear it's not because people haven't backed it, it's because the incompetent clowns running it and the even bigger incompetent cunt that's supposed to be in opposition.
Couldn't have put it better myself, mate

I've read some bollox on this forum, but this one takes some beating: "Mark my word that if we don't get a good deal then the blame lies squarely with those idiots trying to stop it!"

Unless they are saving the best for last, which I somewhat doubt, May and her incompetent, jingoistic, out of touch and ill-informed Brexit team are leading us nowhere - a f***ing disgrace, period
      06-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #17
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Nynorsk that has had experience of sorting out a commercial agreement will understand the need for a United front and not have a clear backing without in house fighting or disagreement.
But in reality I suspect for a lot of those engaged in the sort of in-fighting and disagreement to which you refer it's really a means of trying to scupper the whole process. They want to remain and believe that if the choice comes down to leave with no deal or remain we'll look into an abyss, fold and do the latter; therefore doing everything possible to compromise the UK's negotiating position - and make a no deal outcome more likely - perhaps makes complete sense as far as they're concerned?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #18
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Some of you guys have got it all wrong:
The twats are the Remainers who are more than thick as two short planks but of shit also!
How anybody in their right senses wants to be ruled and their future determined by Europeans who have tried to bring down our country for hundreds of years, I do not know.
All these other EU countries have at some time or other been ruled by foreigners many times, even up to recent times.
We have not for near 1000 years.
So, as long as the U.K., England in particular, has it’s own independence and does not become eventually a vassal state of the EU, a possible temporary down turn due to Brexit, is of no hard sweat.
The biggest danger to the U.K. has always been left wing extremists of the elk of Corbyn etc.
You lads cannot possibly comprehend how grim life was like in the ‘70’s having to work a 3 day week, raise a family and pay a mortgage with no benefits other than child allowance, all due to the shortage of power & coal brought on by strikes by those trying to kill off capitalism.
Brexit is the best move that the U.K. has ever made since holding off the Nazis allowing eventual victory.
As far as BMW is concerned and their comments yesterday, might I ask what real ‘investment’ BMW have in the U.K. now, other than dealership franchises and leasing a bit of property in Pall Mall and Battersea?
Their move from the U.K. would just mean present dealers changing to other makes as dealers do and what I would do also.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
As far as BMW is concerned and their comments yesterday, might I ask what real 'investment' BMW have in the U.K. now, other than dealership franchises and leasing a bit of property in Pall Mall and Battersea?
Their move from the U.K. would just mean present dealers changing to other makes as dealers do and what I would do also.
BMW makes the Mini and Rolls Royce and employs about 8,000 people in the UK
      06-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #20
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
The biggest danger to the U.K. has always been left wing extremists of the elk of Corbyn etc.

You lads cannot possibly comprehend how grim life was like in the ‘70’s having to work a 3 day week, raise a family and pay a mortgage with no benefits other than child allowance, all due to the shortage of power & coal brought on by strikes by those trying to kill off capitalism.

o.

Not patronising much!

When you consider quite a few of us are over 50 and from the North and very much remember life in the 70's.

Coming from the North East and lived on banks of the Tyne pretty much over looking Swans, Walkers yards, Harrison's etc I can remember how it was and just how hard things were.

The fact you could actually afford a mortgage sort of says you did not have it that hard, chances are your parents owned a car I never the 70's, Not many that went to my school came from homes with a mortgage.

Fully agree about the left part of labour killing the country, equally the likes of thatcher killed what was left.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #21
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

Years ago, during the war...

Hmmm.
Now, what were they all about?

Oh yes.
Stopping foreign invasions of our country.
      06-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Anyone who works at Airbus and alike and voted for Brexit...

:: you idiots!