F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > That's what I get for oil change
Studio RSR

12-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #23
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
That sucks man...

I used to live in So Cal and my experience was that reputable repair shops do a far better job than places here in Canada. Maybe its a California car culture thing, or maybe the lawyer to person ratio is higher and repair shops bring their A game.

I had a similar thing happen here in Canada and the repair shop the dealer owns should only be allowed to work in taxis. There were prep marks and fish eyes, it was horrible.

Fortunately, I have several lawyers in my family, they contacted the dealership and the found a factory painted hood to swap for the one they ruined and all was resolved without filling suit.

From your photos it looks like they will have to replace and paint a new front bumper as the fastening tabs look broken. I would let the paint cure before applying the clear bra. The paint they use for the bumper needs to be mixed with a plasticizing compound in order to prevent it from cracking. There will be color and clear coat. The paint needs about 30 days to fully cure before you should apply wax or sealants, I would imagine that a clear bra falls into that category.

Take a look at this

Hope it helps!

B.

Last edited by bueller; 12-03-2015 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #24
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Shit happens, they owned it and are taking care of it so no sense getting worked up about it. Its not like they wrapped it around a telephone pole and were trying to fix it knowing it would never be the same car again. Its just a bumper and if your car is like most there were probably a few rock chips in it that were driving you crazy.
BTW, I really like your wheels, I don't know if I have ever seen that style BMW rims.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 02:06 AM   #25
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

The thing I would ask them if I were the OP is: is there any other damage done to the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #26
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Screw that. Have them take a new bumper off a new car on their lot for yours. This way you don't have to deal with crappy repaint. A man cannot replicate was a machine does in painting. I don't care how experienced they are. There are too many curves and crevices to get that perfect application and then if it gets hit and they did not flex it right it peels. Not to mention many of the replacement parts are damaged and have to be repaired prior to painting. So even a new bumper can have damage. And I guess a new one on a new car can too from shipment.

Time to trade it in.

Hope it all works out.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #27
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily View Post
Screw that. Have them take a new bumper off a new car on their lot for yours. This way you don't have to deal with crappy repaint. A man cannot replicate was a machine does in painting. I don't care how experienced they are. There are too many curves and crevices to get that perfect application and then if it gets hit and they did not flex it right it peels. Not to mention many of the replacement parts are damaged and have to be repaired prior to painting. So even a new bumper can have damage. And I guess a new one on a new car can too from shipment.

Time to trade it in.

Hope it all works out.
So you trade you car in every time it has a damage?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 01:40 AM   #28
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Updates: My car is still in the body shop for repair. So far, no damage was made beside the front bumper. Dealer has to replaced the bumper front lip and clear bra. Will update you guys when I see my car again. Hopefully it will look the same. Also, I am going to contact BMW USA for this. I understand shit happens sometimes, but the way they treated it is like it can be fixed no big deal. That is what really pisses me off.
      12-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #29
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
Updates: My car is still in the body shop for repair. So far, no damage was made beside the front bumper. Dealer has to replaced the bumper front lip and clear bra. Will update you guys when I see my car again. Hopefully it will look the same. Also, I am going to contact BMW USA for this. I understand shit happens sometimes, but the way they treated it is like it can be fixed no big deal. That is what really pisses me off.
I'm not sure if going to BMWNA at this point will really serve your situation as long as the dealership is working to make things right and you are ultimately satisfied with the repair job. Accidents do happen, and to a car dealership they usually look at it as another one of many cars they deal with, they simply aren't going to see it as an owner does. Most doctors are the same way with patients. But of course if you feel that action will serve you then certainly do it.

Here's a pic of my 2006 Cadillac STS-V, bought it with 108 miles on the odo.

If you look on the body at the door sill (the lowest piece below the doors) That part extended lower than any other model they sold at the time (2006) and if it was put on the lift to do any work a tech had to be careful and puck it or they could get damaged, crushed, as you will see in these pics.

Those particular pictures are from the Third time they did that to my car. Each time the tech would never say anything after they did it, just return the car to the service advisor. I would discover it (by then I knew to look after). In that particular instance the tech denied he even put the car on the lift when they had to replace a tire, he said he just jacked the car up. Obviously one can see the crush marks from the points on the lift and they would match to the lifts they used. So not only would the tech damage the car and not mention it, they would try to lie about it. I happen to be there one time getting a part for my car and saw another owner's STS-V come into the drive from service who had also just had his sills crushed by their lift. Which I pulled him aside and warned him about before he left. The dealership always took care of and replaced the body parts, but to me there was an obvious problem with the people they chose to work on one of their most expensive models at the time, and needed extra attention when being put on the lift. But after three times of it happening to me that was no longer just an accident, this was a sign of serious negligence.

I had multiple service / damage issues with the two V cars I owned by the dealership, and is the main reason I left the brand. At the time the next closest dealership was across town and they were no longer worth owning if that's what I would have to do to get service.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #30
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Almost two weeks and still w/o the car? Also as someone mentioned they should have pulled a bumper off of another car on the lot just to get you back on the road, offer you other free services (walnut blasting, wheel refinishing) for the inconvenience. Minor note but look at the loaner contract as some dealers may have a certain mileage restriction per day. For this situation you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #31
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz
Quote:
Almost two weeks and still w/o the car? Also as someone mentioned they should have pulled a bumper off of another car on the lot just to get you back on the road, offer you other free services (walnut blasting, wheel refinishing) for the inconvenience. Minor note but look at the loaner contract as some dealers may have a certain mileage restriction per day. For this situation you should be fine.
You can't just pull a bumper off of another car to fix one.

Let me help here with a little car and body manufacturing and maintenance knowledge; have also done a BMW, Benz, and Porsche factory tour. The process sounded very similar for each.

Each car is build married to exact parts, during the manufacturing, not one part is exchanged for the same from another car unless heavily damaged. Example, the doors come off of the car, yet follow on a tract along with the car frame until rejoining at the end of the process and the engine is dropped in.

Replacement parts, yes, even OEM don't always fit perfectly; depends on how made. That is also an M Sport bumper, which is in shorter supply, so getting it over from Germany likely took around 7 days. May have been made even seeing that this is a USA spec car.

Now for paint, paint must be matched due to weathering, wear, etc. it's not a fast process, plus this guy wanted a paint coating reapplied over the clear coat. Paint must also cure. This entire process may be another 3-5 days.

Already I'm up to 10 days. I estimate this will take 12-16 days if lucky.

Welcome to the world of foreign cars people. Good thing is, once it's done, it'll be done right as long as the OP wasn't a jerk. Do that, and they will really screw you.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #32
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
The time taken so far, as said by another poster, is to be expected tbh. It all comes down to their attitude though. If they were suitably apologetic then personally I'd be as gracious and kind as possible about it; we've all made mistakes and felt awful for them so basic human empathy makes me inclined to be forgiving of honest and honestly apologised for mistakes. It also tends to be worthwhile, as when I've been gracious in my complaint the staff couldn't do enough for me then and in the future.

If, though, they've treated it like it doesn't matter as you seem to say then I'd have at 'em!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #33
VCuomo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
... Also as someone mentioned they should have pulled a bumper off of another car on the lot just to get you back on the road ...
That's hilarious! Where are you playing next weekend?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #34
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCuomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
... Also as someone mentioned they should have pulled a bumper off of another car on the lot just to get you back on the road ...
That's hilarious! Where are you playing next weekend?
As hilarious as it sounds. They did it on my X5. So you say it can't be done, but it can be. And if you don't ask you will never know.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #35
MforLove
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

Make sure the dealership doesn't go through your insurance and just pay the deductible, I know places that have....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #36
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily View Post
As hilarious as it sounds. They did it on my X5. So you say it can't be done, but it can be. And if you don't ask you will never know.
Kinda crazy. Then the guy buying that new X5 off the lot unknowingly ends up with a replacement repainted bumper? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I read the BMW port prep facilities keep around 10 different shades of estoril blue alone for touchups/repairs. That's just to match the brand new factory finish due to manufacturer variations. It seems like a crapshoot to swap a bumper from another car off the lot and hope it matches exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #37
Alano_Mpower
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Sorry but dont worry.

You wont notice the difference.
Front bumper swap is super easy.

I took mine off and put it back myself....
No issues at all.

Great opportunity to request no holes drilled for front plate.. Go with magnetic plate holder
is there some DIY guide on that?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #38
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

buffoons!

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired