F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > BMW F30 3 Series Coding DIY - Code Auto Start Stop, DVD, Folding Mirrors, Etc.
proTUNING Freaks

08-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #595
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Me either. It affected something like 2000 cars!

Apparently it's not something that can be retrofitted. They are just providing a discount off the price.
I don't buy that. If they won't do it, I would have the cost of a 6FL USB/AUX Retrofit and 6VC Telematics Combox quoted by Bimmer-Tech or Bimmer Retrofit (with a 6NR BMW Apps hidden in there) and make them knock it off the sales price before I agreed to sign off on the car.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #596
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I don't buy that. If they won't do it, I would have the cost of a 6FL USB/AUX Retrofit and 6VC Telematics Combox quoted by Bimmer-Tech or Bimmer Retrofit (with a 6NR BMW Apps hidden in there) and make them knock it off the sales price before I agreed to sign off on the car.
See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=639696
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #597
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k12f30 View Post
My bad confused edit cafd for edit ftl. Maybe if I read the instructions you provided ... Dough!!
Well, read it a third time, as it is FDL.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #598
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Sorry, but no way, no how, do I accept that car as built. Those aren't minor features, they are a necessity these days, especially the BT.
It worked for me!

I had a base car built, I mean BASE! I only had metallic paint and heated seats.

This Estoril M Sport with moonroof and heated seats was on my radar from a friend who declined it over the BT/USB issue. I swooped and made an offer and got the car for LESS than my BASE car.

I do not use BT, don't need it, never have. USB I will miss, but if I have AUX I can use an Ipod for media storage. Now if it's missing the AUX, I will whine to get SAT radio for free.

For some people it's a deal breaker. I so wanted an M Sport and got it. A lot of M Sport goodies on the list that out weigh what I gave up. Just the sport seats are worth it!

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #599
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My bad confused edit cafd for edit ftl. Maybe if I read the instructions you provided ... Dough!!

Quote:

I guess wants his car to go a lot faster!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #600
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
There you go. In post 21, Technic stated you can do the Combox Retrofit for about the same $750 plus labor:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=21

He is the Ft. Lauderdale, FL Delaer for Bimmer-Tech.

Have Bimmer-Tech include 6FL, and whatever that total cost is, that is the amount I would insist BMW deduct from the agreed upon sale price.

Otherwise, they can put it on their lot, and see how long their "Special" ZOC Optioned car sits there.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #601
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There you go. In post 21, Technic stated you can do the Combox Retrofit for about the same $750 plus labor:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=21

He is the Ft. Lauderdale, FL Delaer for Bimmer-Tech.

Have Bimmer-Tech include 6FL, and whatever that total cost is, that is the amount I would insist BMW deduct from the agreed upon sale price.

Otherwise, they can put it on their lot, and see how long their "Special" ZOC Optioned car sits there.
You are correct. I should have said that the dealer would not retrofit it...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #602
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
No it doesn't, not on EU/ROW-spec F20/30 anyway.
For German market, BMW Live is only available with 6NH (if u spec 609 & 6NK/NL it deletes it). For UK market it's only available with 6NK, it deletes it if u spec 609.
Also, the video above stated specifically that it is for cars not equipped with nav (either business or professional).
You may be right. I don't know for sure. I talked to my source that does retrofits, including BMW Live, for a living, and his response as to what is required was as follows:

For Telematics Combox:

S6VCA Control for Combox
S609A Navigation system Professional
S633A Preparation, mobile phone, Business (or S639A Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN)

For Media Combox:

S6VCA Control for Combox
S644A Preparation f mobile phone w Bluetooth

So, I asked him if it had to be Nav Professional, or could it also work with Nav Business, and he said he had never seen it or heard of it, but he didn't rule it out.

And now that I think more about it, I think when BMW Live first appeared in the 1-Series, it was with Nav Business.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #603
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
So, It's $375 to BMW to unlock with the code or nothing else.
I know where you can get the Sat SDARS radio FSC Code for under $180, and that includes Importing and Activating it.

PM me if you want details.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #604
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
I know where you can get the Sat SDARS radio FSC Code for under $180, and that includes Importing and Activating it.

PM me if you want details.
PM'd

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #605
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
You may be right. I don't know for sure. I talked to my source that does retrofits, including BMW Live, for a living, and his response as to what is required was as follows:

For Telematics Combox:

S6VCA Control for Combox
S633A Preparation, mobile phone, Business (or S639A Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN)

For Media Combox:

S6VCA Control for Combox
S644A Preparation f mobile phone w Bluetooth

So, I asked him if it had to be Nav Professional, or could it also work with Nav Business, and he said he had never seen it or heard of it, but he didn't rule it out.

And now that I think more about it, I think when BMW Live first appeared in the 1-Series, it was with Nav Business.
No no, the "new" BMW Live first introduced in F20 requires only radio professional (i.e. 6.5" screen, no nav) & 6NH. It doesn't require nav or combox of any sort. This is confirmed by both ordering guides & online configurators for various EU markets.
For F30, only 6NH is needed for BMW Live as radio professional is already standard. If u spec any of the nav packages it automatically deletes BMW Live as BMW Online & Internet is included instead.
This new BMW Live is currently only available in F20 & F30, all other models need nav+combox for this feature.

Goto page 18, for 6AL it said not with either of the nav packages. There are no further requirements as UK-spec have 6NH as standard already.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659673

Last edited by clarence; 08-25-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #606
BMWs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

This is so confusing! I don't have NAV or BMW Assist. Can I activate BMW Live, for weather, news, etc. I have a US spec X3. And if so how? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #607
demge01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320ed

Garage List
Quote:
No no, the "new" BMW Live first introduced in F20 requires only radio professional (i.e. 6.5" screen, no nav) & 2NH. It doesn't require nav or combox of any sort. This is confirmed by both ordering guides & online configurators for various EU markets.
For F30, only 2NH is needed for BMW Live as radio professional is already standard. If u spec any of the nav packages it automatically deletes BMW Live as BMW Online & Internet is included instead.
This new BMW Live is currently only available in F20 & F30, all other models need nav+combox for this feature.

Goto page 18, for 6AL it said not with either of the nav packages. There are no further requirements as UK-spec have 2NH as standard already.
In the UK BMW Live is a £95 option - no other options needed. I assume you mean 6NH rather than 2NH?
I also assume I have to get my phone set up for internet tethering? On my mobile contract thats extra.

I'll have a go this weekend and see if I can get BMW Live working.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #608
2k15f30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Quote:
It's just not my day I guess.....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #609
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No no, the "new" BMW Live first introduced in F20 requires only radio professional (i.e. 6.5" screen, no nav) & 2NH. It doesn't require nav or combox of any sort.This is confirmed by both ordering guides & online configurators for various EU markets.
For F30, only 2NH is needed for BMW Live as radio professional is already standard.
I'll buy that. In theory, all that should be needed for BMW Live is a screen (CID), and a Bluetooth Module with PAN Service. I just checked, and since 6NH (Not 2NH) does support tethering (BT PAN), it seems all that is needed for BMW Live is present.

Quote:
If u spec any of the nav packages it automatically deletes BMW Live as BMW Online & Internet is included instead.

Goto page 18, for 6AL it said not with either of the nav packages. There are no further requirements as UK-spec have 2NH as standard already.
This I don't buy exactly, but maybe I am just hung up on on the terminology. When you spec in one of the Nav Packages like ZMB or ZMP, you loose 6AL BMW Live because in those packages 6NH Bluetooth is replaced with 6NL Bluetooth with Telematics, which includes the Combox Telematics, and with that comes 612 BMW Assist. 612 BMW Assist and 6AL BMW Live can not coexist. It is one or the other. So, with 612 BMW Assist, BMW Includes 616 BMW Online to replace 6AL BMW Live. The two offer some similar features like primitive News, Weather, Google Local Search, and Applications (e.g. Yelp, Fuel Prices; Not 6NR BMW Apps); however, 6AL BMW Live also includes Google Panoramio, Google Street View, and Internet Browser functionality, none of which is available with 616 BMW Online. Given they are fundamentally different in that 616 BMW Online uses the GSM module / SIM card in the Combox for data, whereas 6AL BMW Live uses Internet Over Bluetooth (Tethering / PAN) and your cell phone carrier for data, I would not consider 616 BMW Online the "new BMW Live", and I would argue the lack of an Internet Browser means it does not include "Internet".

Quote:
Originally Posted by demge01 View Post
In the UK BMW Live is a £95 option - no other options needed. I assume you mean 6NH rather than

2NH?
I also assume I have to get my phone set up for internet tethering? On my mobile contract thats extra.

I'll have a go

this weekend and see if I can get BMW Live working.

Cheers.
You don't think 2NH M-Sport Brakes is required for BMW Live?

Yes, you need a phone that supports BT PAN Service and a Tethering Plan with your carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs View Post
This is so confusing! I don't have NAV or BMW Assist. Can I activate BMW Live, for weather, news,

etc. I have a US spec X3. And if so how? Thanks!
It seems so assuming you have 6NH and Radio Professional. See my earlier Post here for Coding:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=568

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #610
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I assume you mean 6NH rather than 2NH?
Slip of finger, see my previous posts.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #611
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This I don't buy exactly, but maybe I am just hung up on on the terminology. When you spec in one of the Nav Packages like ZMB or ZMP, you loose 6AL BMW Live because in those packages 6NH Bluetooth is replaced with 6NL Bluetooth with Telematics, which includes the Combox Telematics, and with that comes 612 BMW Assist. 612 BMW Assist and 6AL BMW Live can not coexist. It is one or the other. So, with 612 BMW Assist, BMW Includes 616 BMW Online to replace 6AL BMW Live. The two offer some similar features like primitive News, Weather, Google Local Search, and Applications (e.g. Yelp, Fuel Prices; Not 6NR BMW Apps); however, 6AL BMW Live also includes Google Panoramio, Google Street View, and Internet Browser functionality, none of which is available with 616 BMW Online. Given they are fundamentally different in that 616 BMW Online uses the GSM module / SIM card in the Combox for data, whereas 6AL BMW Live uses Internet Over Bluetooth (Tethering / PAN) and your cell phone carrier for data, I would not consider 616 BMW Online the "new BMW Live", and I would argue the lack of an Internet Browser means it does not include "Internet".
Wht don't u buy? I didn't say BMW Online is the new BMW Live. I said the F20/F30 w/o nav/combox is the new BMW Live, the old BMW Live being the one needing prof nav+combox.
BMW Live for F20/30 w/nav is still offered on cars where their markets don't have telematics service. For those that have BMW Assist, Internet (614) offers whts missing in BMW Assist Online.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #612
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wht don't u buy? I didn't say BMW Online is the new BMW Live. I said the F20/F30 w/o nav/combox is the new BMW Live, the old BMW Live being the one needing prof nav+combox.
BMW Live for F20/30 w/nav is still offered on cars where their markets don't have telematics service. For those that have BMW Assist, Internet (614) offers whts missing in BMW Assist Online.
Well, that is the way I read it, or misread it as the case may be, but if you didn't say it, ok then.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #613
demge01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320ed

Garage List
Good news guys it works!

I'll do some more testing tomorrow but so far I have activated and registered OK and it appears to work.

Nice find Clarence - your'e a star!

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #614
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Clarence is right. For all the countries that sadly are missing Assist there is Nav with Live and Internet. Live is a subset of Online from what I can gather. I guess this means that we don't get the telematics combox even though BMW say we have the same hardware. It really sucks that I can't get the fancy traffic info if I visit Germany.

I and till getting nav prof 2013 for my F31 though
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #615
BMWs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Has anyone in the US gotten this to work? We need to code our VIN I believe to get it to work. I tried without doing that an nothing changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #616
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Good news guys it works!

I'll do some more testing tomorrow but so far I have activated and registered OK and it appears to work.

Nice find Clarence - your'e a star!

Well done! How did you pair internet with your phone? Mine keeps searching then says can't connect.
Appreciate 0