F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Which Front Grill will you choose?
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: Which Front Grill will you Choose?
Gloss Black 59 77.63%
Matte Black 15 19.74%
Carbon Fiber 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

02-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
LOL, dammit, I think I'm the only tard that voted for the CF...

I don't know, I have the gloss Black M Performance ones, and they're nice, but I would like to tie the CF Spoiler to the front somehow...otherwise it just looks like i have an MG car with a CF spoiler.
My wheels are dark gray, I have the gray of the rear diffusor and a CF rear plate frame, I will have CF mirror caps...so to have just a little in the front, the carbon grilles will pull it all together. I think it only looks bad on an extreme close up.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Maybe it's me, but I really don't see the excitement about sticking carbon fiber trim pieces on a car. It's sole purpose in life is light weight without compromising strength. CF trim bits are akin to lipstick on a pig. But, I also understand everyone's tastes and desires are different. To each his own.

Oh, and chrome or gloss black for me. I have gloss black on my EBII now, but I actually did like the chrome as well. It does flow nicely from the headlights thanks to those little "tabs" on the sides. Remember that the grills are really BMW's main trademark and always has been. They are happy to have them stand out a bit in stock form.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Maybe it's me, but I really don't see the excitement about sticking carbon fiber trim pieces on a car. It's sole purpose in life is light weight without compromising strength. CF trim bits are akin to lipstick on a pig. But, I also understand everyone's tastes and desires are different. To each his own.

Oh, and chrome or gloss black for me. I have gloss black on my EBII now, but I actually did like the chrome as well. It does flow nicely from the headlights thanks to those little "tabs" on the sides. Remember that the grills are really BMW's main trademark and always has been. They are happy to have them stand out a bit in stock form.
I agree...and I clearly struggle with this.

I've decided for CF only when there is weight in question, so like for the grille, doesn't make sense since its put on top of plastic, not made of Pure CF.

For the M performance spoiler, it's apparently lighter than the plastic version by a few hundred grams.

For the M performance interior bits (dash etc), its lighter than the burl walnut stuff by a few hundred grams.

For the front diffuser, it's probably worth it too...only CF one I've seen is the aspec one at $900, but if you need a front diffuser might as well get a light one!

But who needs a front diffuser on a daily driver :-)

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #26
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
My wheels are dark gray, I have the gray of the rear diffusor and a CF rear plate frame, I will have CF mirror caps...so to have just a little in the front, the carbon grilles will pull it all together. I think it only looks bad on an extreme close up.
I think with the M Sport package it can come together pretty well - we need to have that meet man so I can see yours in person.

Spring time when the 400M's are on, and when you get your rims (are they in yet?), will be an epic meet...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post

Well for me, a little goes a long way. Some people take it too far. If I was using it for weight savings like doors, hoods, decklids, if it's a street car, I would paint it.

But when not used in that way and in the case of my EB2, it will be used so sparingly, it just pulls the car together. You won't see me doing roundels or anything, it's just the factory has chosen to have a dark gray diffuser, now my wheels match that, and so I want one element on the nose that matches the rest.

I am a professorially trained designer. You have to have faith that on my car it will look right. A lot of people don't get it right.

Quote:
I think with the M Sport package it can come together pretty well - we need to have that meet man so I can see yours in person.

Spring time when the 400M's are on, and when you get your rims (are they in yet?), will be an epic meet...
Sounds like a plan!

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Of the 3, Gloss Black without a doubt.
However, I prefer the Chrome Grille.

PS: Grill = cooking!
      02-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesems View Post
...... i had the scheme done when i had the spoiler and splitter paint. Matte black internal grille with frame painted Glacier Silver to match
I think I already gave you props in another thread....here's more. I LOVE it. Nicely done!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #30
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I think I already gave you props in another thread....here's more. I LOVE it. Nicely done!
Thank you for the compliment. Greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

Quote:
LOL, dammit, I think I'm the only tard that voted for the CF...
Shiv, this was hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #32
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

Stock shiny chrome. I'm getting EBII, which goes great with shiny. If I were getting something else, it'd depend on the color, but either gloss black or CF.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
evkl
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 F82

gloss black all the way
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedo302 View Post
Stock shiny chrome. I'm getting EBII, which goes great with shiny.
+1. Keeping my shiny stock grill forever. I love the contrast of the chrome against the Estoril with the black centers.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #35
atran22
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

How about for a jet black baseline

Would you guys choose gloss for a base jetblack f30 as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #36
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic

I agree...and I clearly struggle with this.

I've decided for CF only when there is weight in question, so like for the grille, doesn't make sense since its put on top of plastic, not made of Pure CF.

For the M performance spoiler, it's apparently lighter than the plastic version by a few hundred grams.

For the M performance interior bits (dash etc), its lighter than the burl walnut stuff by a few hundred grams.

For the front diffuser, it's probably worth it too...only CF one I've seen is the aspec one at $900, but if you need a front diffuser might as well get a light one!

But who needs a front diffuser on a daily driver :-)
Keep in mind that 99% of these CF products are just for show and are not "pure" CF. In most cases only the layer you see is CF; the rest of the layers are fiber glass or some other form of plastic.

I vote any option other than the CF wrap.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #37
chazrt
Registered
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i Mineral White

okie I'm convinced, gonna be getting Gloss Black for my Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #38
hav2flynow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mineral White 328i Sport

Garage List
I have the gloss black on my MW looks awesome. I think the stock is just to dressed up for the Sportline. And the contrast of the White Paint and Black accents just makes it right.

Last edited by hav2flynow; 02-20-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #39
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport - 6MT - GS

If you are going with a the BMW Performance Front lip spoiler, I would go with Matt black on the grills to match.
Appreciate 0