F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Deep clean, polish and wax and the results!
ARMA SPEED

06-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Deep clean, polish and wax and the results!

After having my car sprayed with bitumen by careless road workers, I finally found the time to give it a proper clean.

All the products used were from AutoGlym, purely as this is my choice of car product. I find their products very high quality and they always end with amazing results.
  1. I began with a complete jet-wash of the car. I never use a sponge as this leaves swirls over the paintwork. A good jet-wash place that has high-quality soaps will remove much of the grime
  2. Once the car was cleaned, I dabbed it dry using new microfibre cloths. As crazy as it sounds, I never use a microfibre cloth more than once as it's all too easy to pick up a hard piece of dirt and the moment it's wiped on the surface of your car, you have a great sodding scratch to deal with. I bought two packets of cloths and one small packet for just €8 giving 9 new cloths to use and throw away at the end.
  3. Once the car was completely dry, I used a clay bar and Rapid Detailer to lubricate. This took hours but was easy enough as my paint is white. The end result should be a silky smooth finish. No rough bumps at all.
  4. Once the car was clayed, it was time for a polish. This removes all the swirls. For this I used Super Resin Polish.
  5. If there were deeper scratches or marks in the laquer, I used Paint Restorer but only ever in the affected areas. Remember...one cloth for each product!!!!
  6. After the car was completely polished, I removed it all using another fresh cloth. At this point, the car was looking pretty good!
  7. The next and final step was a couple of layers of High Definition Wax. I used the sponge applicator that comes with the wax to apply the wax to the car. Once the entire car was coated, I left it to dry for a further 20 minutes before removing the wax from the point where I first started. (Using another fresh cloth).
  8. The process is repeated for a second layer of wax to protect the paint from harmful UV rays and the elements. (You can use the same cloth to remove the wax though )
  9. And here are the results! I've never actually tried other products but AutoGlym simply works brilliantly for me and the results are always outstanding. Let me know your thoughts or questions!

(All images can be seen here:
View post on imgur.com
)

Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Looks brilliant, and what a backdrop you lucky sod!

Autoglym products are very underrated. SRP is excellent, just a pity it's so bloody dusty

I'm using gtechniq serum and exo on my alpine white at the moment and loving the shine and water repellency.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewthefirst View Post
Looks brilliant, and what a backdrop you lucky sod!

Autoglym products are very underrated. SRP is excellent, just a pity it's so bloody dusty

I'm using gtechniq serum and exo on my alpine white at the moment and loving the shine and water repellency.
Cheers! It's not too bad around these parts. I've also got three golf courses on my doorstep but it gets insanely hot around this time of year. We're up to 34C today and it'll only get hotter!

I've consistently used AutoGlym and never had anything but good results. I find a lot of people don't use the product correctly and so it doesn't quite work for them.

That and they end up re-using cloths more than once. I find it amusing people will spend £30k on a car and then skimp on £10 every 3 months to polish it properly!

I've heard of the two products you mentioned but never used them. It's hard finding decent suppliers here in Spain so I get friends from the UK to bring over AutoGlym supplies when they come to visit.

I currently have a large bottle of Super Resin polish and two bottles of Rapid Detailer on their way to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Very nice. If you're a fanatic about drying and towel quality, why not follow the Junkman's advice, like I did?! Use an electric leaf blower. It works great and it's touch-less!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Very nice. If you're a fanatic about drying and towel quality, why not follow the Junkman's advice, like I did?! Use an electric leaf blower. It works great and it's touch-less!
good point. I use a leaf blower from time to time, but you don't half look like a twat if the neighbours see!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

To hell with the neighbors. I already look like a nut using my foam lance and shooting suds all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

I have bought a deionizer water filter as I live in a hard water area and the water spots are horrendous. The water tests at 300 parts per million, and with the filter it is zero parts per million. I wash as normal with pressure washer, two buckets, etc., and just use the filter for the final rinse, and let it air dry. It is like rinsing with rain water and no water spots Works great
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

That's pretty wasteful throwing away MF towels after one use. They wash clean perfectly fine in a washing machine. You should even wash new towels before using them because they might have picked up contaminants during shipping.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asdfasdf View Post
That's pretty wasteful throwing away MF towels after one use. They wash clean perfectly fine in a washing machine. You should even wash new towels before using them because they might have picked up contaminants during shipping.
I use them for other things but never again on the car....
Appreciate 0