F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Headlight Unit Upgrade?
GetBMWParts

07-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
RPS328ix
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive N26

Headlight Unit Upgrade?

I know next to nothing about headlights, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. I have standard base line halogen headlights, and my dealer is going to replace them under warranty because I have unexplained cracking on the outside lens. I'd like to get upgraded xenon headlights -- can I do that by simply having the dealer install the upgraded units (assuming the price difference is reasonable, which I would pay myself), or is that impossible? I suspect there are other components that would need to be upgraded or replaced in addition to the actual headlight unit if I wanted to upgrade the headlights.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=938803

BMW won't do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Pics of cracking? I have what appears to be a sort of scrape on my one lens, but I've definitely never actually scraped the light on anything. Maybe I have this cracking as well..

BTW I have read a post from one person who paid their dealer to do the retrofit. I think it just depends on dealer willingness to take your money and accept the risk of what may go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Can't we do the Xeon angel eyes and stuff like the older E series. The DIY upgrade link is too hard to deal with as an armature. I'd pay somebody to make mine work. I just can't imagine The car is being built on the factory floor and BMW doesn't have a Xeon kit that includes the entire headlight assembly to make the hook up quicker and easier . Should be the same thing on our cars. The active part may be different as the lights move with your steering wheel, but to just have the Xeon lights that don't move should be easy! Right?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
RPS328ix
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Pics of cracking? I have what appears to be a sort of scrape on my one lens, but I've definitely never actually scraped the light on anything. Maybe I have this cracking as well..

BTW I have read a post from one person who paid their dealer to do the retrofit. I think it just depends on dealer willingness to take your money and accept the risk of what may go wrong.
Here are some pics of the cracking. There are dozens of tiny little cracks on both headlights that you can only see clearly when you look at a certain angle, but they have gotten worse over the last few weeks and some of them are now very visible. Dealer said they can't figure out the reason, but they are replacing them under warranty. I have less than 2000 miles on the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Can't we do the Xeon angel eyes and stuff like the older E series. The DIY upgrade link is too hard to deal with as an armature. I'd pay somebody to make mine work. I just can't imagine The car is being built on the factory floor and BMW doesn't have a Xeon kit that includes the entire headlight assembly to make the hook up quicker and easier . Should be the same thing on our cars. The active part may be different as the lights move with your steering wheel, but to just have the Xeon lights that don't move should be easy! Right?
not right... obviously this has been researched to death.. there are a couple of people that will build you plug and play xenon headlights if that is what you want (and can afford) or you can put some aftermarket ballasts and bulbs like they do on civics and what not..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
not right... obviously this has been researched to death.. there are a couple of people that will build you plug and play xenon headlights if that is what you want (and can afford) or you can put some aftermarket ballasts and bulbs like they do on civics and what not..
PM me if you know somebody who will build it. I'd like to see the cost. I found complete Xeon sets on eBay from BMW Germany that have everything except the bulb and module . I love bmw but I hate when they make things so damn complicated to upgrade.
Appreciate 0