F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > plastidipped wheels and cost?
GetBMWParts

04-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
Chris Batnes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Msport 50i-retired

Question plastidipped wheels and cost?

I'm looking into getting my wheels 400m plastidipped black gloss. Ive reached out to get prices and so far Ive gotten ~150 matte black 180-200 gloss and $100 extra for the barrel. Is this the normal price.... I find it expensive and was just going to do it myself one weekend with the cans from lowes and home depot with glossifier.
For those of you who have are you satisfied with the quality look and durability? .... recommend professional or DIY?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

I recommend doing it yourself on a hot day. It costs a lot less than getting it done professionally and the best part is that you gain experience in doing this and charge others for plastidipping their cars. I started on my VW CC and many people started asking me to do it for them. I just kept on stacking up the money they gave me and put it towards mods. As you go on you get a lot more confident and you start doing really good jobs, the first couple of times are annoying, but you get used to it. I recommend getting like 5 cans of it so you can have a spare on that you can use as touch up paint
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Batnes View Post
I'm looking into getting my wheels 400m plastidipped black gloss. Ive reached out to get prices and so far Ive gotten ~150 matte black 180-200 gloss and $100 extra for the barrel. Is this the normal price.... I find it expensive and was just going to do it myself one weekend with the cans from lowes and home depot with glossifier.
For those of you who have are you satisfied with the quality look and durability? .... recommend professional or DIY?
Thanks
I've learned my lesson enough to never use plastidip around these cars.

Powercoating is my go to thing, much better finish.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Chris Batnes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Msport 50i-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I've learned my lesson enough to never use plastidip around these cars.

Powercoating is my go to thing, much better finish.
I agree powdercoating is much better... love the gloss but its a lease so not really looking to dump money into a car thats not mine
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #5
BennnChen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i xDrive

If you want to go gloss, I would do auto flex gloss black. The prices sound about right but I wouldn't do plastidip
      04-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2

Plastidipped wheels are actually not bad if done right. If you want to do it yourself, watch those youtube videos and it is very easy to learn. My only problem with plastidip is that they will peel off when you have to replace your tires. This is the reason why you have to learn it yourself or else it would be expensive, even doing touch-ups will need the entire wheel to be re-sprayed. This is the reason why I just went ahead and bought new rims.

Here are a few shots my old 397 BMW wheels plastidipped with anthracite grey metallic and glossifier. When I brought the car to get the rims replaced with the new one, the guy at discount tire actually thought it was powder coated until I told him they're plastidipped.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #7
wolves
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

^ Woah you can't even tell.
2014 BMW F30 328i - Base line 8AT, Alpine White, metallic black roof, Megan Racing CF decklid, CF canards, CF eyelids, CF rear diffuser, matte black kidney grills, gunsmoke tail lights/reflectors, VMR 721 Hyper Silver 19x9.5/19.x8.5, 5mm spacers all around, Bilstein B8s, Injen CAI, H&R Sport Springs, muffler-deleted quad pipe, 20% 3M rear tint, M Performance Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
Bimmertwin
Rep
Drives: 13' 335i BSM Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oln08 View Post
Plastidipped wheels are actually not bad if done right. If you want to do it yourself, watch those youtube videos and it is very easy to learn. My only problem with plastidip is that they will peel off when you have to replace your tires. This is the reason why you have to learn it yourself or else it would be expensive, even doing touch-ups will need the entire wheel to be re-sprayed. This is the reason why I just went ahead and bought new rims.

Here are a few shots my old 397 BMW wheels plastidipped with anthracite grey metallic and glossifier. When I brought the car to get the rims replaced with the new one, the guy at discount tire actually thought it was powder coated until I told him they're plastidipped.
Were you able to achieve a clear coat like finish with the glossifier ?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #9
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by oln08 View Post

Were you able to achieve a clear coat like finish with the glossifier ?
Thanks!
I wouldn't say a clear coat type gloss but close, or maybe a semi gloss look. I think what made mine really shiny was the type of plastidip I used. metallic plastidip gives the shiny effect when light shines on it.
Appreciate 0