F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lighting Package Retrofit?
GetBMWParts

04-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

Lighting Package Retrofit?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi everyone!

Last year when I ordered my 2012 328i I didn't want to order the lighting package because it required premium package and then some ridiculous additional cost. Now that it's available as a $900 stand alone option is it possible to have it added to my car now?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i AW MSport

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Not for $900 or anything close, more like the cost of the premium package ++, seems like its around ~$3500+ to do it oem.

You are better off waiting for aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromix View Post
Not for $900 or anything close, more like the cost of the premium package ++, seems like its around ~$3500+ to do it oem.

You are better off waiting for aftermarket.
So it is possible to have it done at my dealership's service department? I can't do it aftermarket since the car is leased.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan9095 View Post
So it is possible to have it done at my dealership's service department? I can't do it aftermarket since the car is leased.
Yes, but it's cost prohibitive. If you didn't want to do it before, you don't want to do it now. Parts + Labor is going to be over $3,500.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but it's cost prohibitive. If you didn't want to do it before, you don't want to do it now. Parts + Labor is going to be over $3,500.
But those yellow lights bother me so much!

Any idea what these are? http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/39...CE-LIGHT-BULBS

Last edited by Ryan9095; 04-05-2013 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
ghettodefendant
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
But those yellow lights bother me so much!

Any idea what these are? http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/39...CE-LIGHT-BULBS
Those are just different halogen bulbs.
There are a few threads about headlight changes from standard to Xenon with LED DRL's.
Not sure if anyone has actually done it yet but it seems extremely expensive and from what I've read, not all dealers believe it can be done.

Your best bet may be to wait out your lease or give the aftermarket ones a go when they're available (apparently June-ish) and hold on to your OG headlights and replace when the lease is up.
      04-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
It is possible, but be read to shell out a lot of big bucks!
Never cheep out on the xenon\ lightning package, alot of people regretted this.
      04-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

If the only issue is with the color of the lights, just get aftermarket bulbs.

If you want the higher light output and the adaptive lighting feature, it's just not going to happen unless you do a full retrofit. Frankly, it's just not worth the cost IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedo302 View Post
If the only issue is with the color of the lights, just get aftermarket bulbs.

If you want the higher light output and the adaptive lighting feature, it's just not going to happen unless you do a full retrofit. Frankly, it's just not worth the cost IMO.
Thank you all for the responses! I'm really just interested in having the white light you get from the xenon. Is it easy to change the bulb? I'd want to save the current standard ones since I need to return the car factory when my lease expires. Also, how do I know what brand/color to get?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you all for the responses! I'm really just interested in having the white light you get from the xenon. Is it easy to change the bulb? I'd want to save the current standard ones since I need to return the car factory when my lease expires. Also, how do I know what brand/color to get?

As far as color yes, changing bulbs will get you white light.

The best will be a conversion type like these H7R's:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35W-Car-HID-...-/250990041968

Little more work than just bulb changes, but you'll get a similar look, just not as nice as OEM.

Or you can change bulbs and use something like this which will make your car look like the pic below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000K-Xenon-...db63dd&vxp=mtr

Hope that Helps
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Yup, sorry to hear your disappointment, the F30 does look more menacing with the xenons. Doing any kind of modification will be incredibly expensive and I think you need to return the car in stock form after your lease. The bulbs are your best bet, unfortunately you won't be able to get LED DRL's.

It seems strange that so many 328's on BMW dealer lots don't have the lighting package, you would think they'd get a clue but maybe your average consumer just thinks it's a waste. The other problem is people don't test drive the car at night and/or never see it turned on from the outside. I'm surprised SA's don't try to more aggressively push this option, give them a walk around and show the comparison, easy $900 extra...
      04-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
That actually doesn't look to bad! The lack of DRL outlines is unfortunate, but for what I guess is a $60 upgrade that's night and day (pun intended).
      04-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As far as color yes, changing bulbs will get you white light.

The best will be a conversion type like these H7R's:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35W-Car-HID-...-/250990041968

Little more work than just bulb changes, but you'll get a similar look, just not as nice as OEM.

Or you can change bulbs and use something like this which will make your car look like the pic below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000K-Xenon-...db63dd&vxp=mtr

Hope that Helps
Kromix,

You are the best man! Thank you so much for finding these! Just for clarification sake if I go with "option 2" I'm literally just exchanging the bulb whereas the H7R (which is better?) will be more work? Also, do I have to worry about the car being able to handle the increase amps? Sorry for all the questions... never done anything like this before!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
328AL
Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Loaded

A few words of caution before you do anything, I've gone through this 2.5 years ago; though forums, dealers, mechanics and other BMW owners. I decided not do anything, because it's either cost prohibitive or risky or would not achieve results I desire: quality and cost effective replacement/upgrade.

Please go to the lighting forums and read other more specific posts, as it was suggested before. The issue has been discussed many many times and there are a couple of questions that you have to have a very good answer for before you do anything on a brand new car:
1. How does this mod affect your factory warranty? Any unauthorized mods to your car may completely invalidate your car's warranty. And for a leased car, it may also violate a leasing agreement (please check your documents).
2. Will putting this HID kit or just high power bulbs that exceed factory specifications and were not specifically designed for the bulb housing, give you desired results in terms of
a) color
b) light intensity/distance
c) safe focus/angle for you and other drivers
d) may be missing a few more items here
3. Is your car's lighting assembly sufficient to withstand extra current and/or heat that these mods may generate?

In my case, I tried to put just "whiter" halogen philips bulbs, it did not produce a noticeable difference to me. Not to say that other people said it was enough for them.

My dealer said he could install factory lights on my car for $4,000. It did not make a financial sense to me.

The bottom line, I have not seen anything on this market today that is as good looking as efficient and as functional as OEM Xenon Adaptive lights that you can get even close to $900. That's my single biggest regret about my car, and I will not make that mistake again.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
elrey21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Kromix,

You are the best man! Thank you so much for finding these! Just for clarification sake if I go with "option 2" I'm literally just exchanging the bulb whereas the H7R (which is better?) will be more work? Also, do I have to worry about the car being able to handle the increase amps? Sorry for all the questions... never done anything like this before!
Im in the same boat as you.... adding the Xenon package required premium and I was price conscious so took a dealer stock 328i with only the Tech Package.... Prem with Xenons as optioned would have been close to $4000 more. OneEighty is creating a retrofit, I spoke to them and they are about 2-3 months from production but it will include the LED DRLs and Xenons for hopefully a reasonable price. Search the forum as they started a thread about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrey21 View Post
Im in the same boat as you.... adding the Xenon package required premium and I was price conscious so took a dealer stock 328i with only the Tech Package.... Prem with Xenons as optioned would have been close to $4000 more. OneEighty is creating a retrofit, I spoke to them and they are about 2-3 months from production but it will include the LED DRLs and Xenons for hopefully a reasonable price. Search the forum as they started a thread about it.
I actually am following that post; they mentioned that it should be available around July and that it will be priced reasonably. My only concern is that I'm leasing the car so I don't really want to do a retrofit unless changing back to stock is simple. Are you opposed to changing the daylight running bulb to the 6000k? At this point I'm thinking that is the best option?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
elrey21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
I actually am following that post; they mentioned that it should be available around July and that it will be priced reasonably. My only concern is that I'm leasing the car so I don't really want to do a retrofit unless changing back to stock is simple. Are you opposed to changing the daylight running bulb to the 6000k? At this point I'm thinking that is the best option?
My current look.... I turned off the DRL completely in the iDrive settings, pretty simple to do. My parking lights, right above the DRL's in the housing are LED canbus replacements, My turn signals are also LED canbus, and my Low Beams and Fog Lights are Digital HID with ballasts, pretty simple install and removal in the event of return. My HID Ballasts are mounted on existing Bolts, no new holes made in the chassis or hood bay like in some installs. Ill get the occasional error from the Right turn signal or Parking lights but it goes away right away and is rare so im happy.
Appreciate 0