F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel debate 18" or 19" and then some
GetBMWParts

07-17-2023, 07:33 AM   #1
scoobysmak
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 D

Wheel debate 18" or 19" and then some

Well the title says a lot but not all of it.

About the car:
Currently the car is stock, 2017, 328d, M-sport (I admit I thought they were 17" rims and wasn't aware the factory had a staggered setup until I read a sticky here...the 17" mistake is I just didn't read ). The car is RWD and does not appear to have the electronic adaptive suspension. Looks to have the M400 wheels on it currently and one of the tires is shot. So now looking to upgrade. The only modification currently is a Karma stage II tune.

How I use the car:
This primarily is my long distance driving car so attempting to keep fuel economy around my current 55 mpg hwy would be a concern. When my truck has an issue it becomes a daily. I might track the car for a day but more to learn about driving and get experience than how well my car performs. I do not want to roll my fenders or have to run negative camber to fit the wheel/tire combo.

Looks of the car:
I love a lowered and aggressive look but this comes with problems. One being work has a speed hump that rivals parking curbs. The other is on the interstate seeing that 4x4 post fall off the back of the truck in front of you and crossing your fingers hoping A). It ends up inline with the road and you can avoid tire damage B). your car is high enough to clear it.

Future plans:
I will probably run some type of coil over as I would like to lower it but work will play a factor on how low I can go. To be able to tune for this would help. I will probably add some carbon fiber parts like side skirts and other things. I will probably add a front strut tower brace as well. This would be for the occasional cars and coffee type meet ups.

Current purchase I need help with:
I am looking to run a set of BC forged wheels and would like to get this right the first time. I was planning to run a squared setup but since the factory is staggered I will go this direction.

The staggered setup that seems to be pretty common is the:
Front 18x8.5 ET35
Rear 18x9.5 ET45

Tire for this combo:
Front: 245/40/R18
Rear: 275/35/R18

I was looking at the 18x9" ET30 squared setup originally but from the pictures the front look a bit too aggressive to me. This opinion is based on a picture or two, not looking at it personally. I guess I see the side view but haven't really seen a good top view to see if they poke out from the fenders. Tire brand can make this better or worse so maybe I might be more specific on this part.

I assume just bumping up to a 19" rim would work just as well so long as the tire sizes are appropriate.

Pros of the 19"s I think it would make it look lower without actually being lower, tire gap will still be there but not planning on putting the coil overs on right away. More aggressive look overall and especially when everything is done.

Pros of the 18"s, probably overall lighter, (better performance?) cost less at least for the wheels.

Feel free to recommend other sizes and offsets.

I know this is the wrong section but feel free to offer coil over advice and carbon fiber parts brands. I was planning on Bilstein but from a recent thread makes me question that. The carbon fiber I would like it all to match identically; trunk lip, diffusor, side skirts, front lip, rear side skirts ?(not sure what they call these at the moment).

Last edited by scoobysmak; 07-17-2023 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

If 19", 235/40/19+265/35/19 on 19x8.5 ET32ish, 19x9.5 ET42ish

If 18", 235/45/18+265/40/18 on 18x8.5 ET32ish, 18x9.5 ET42ish or
245/40/18+275/35/18 on 18x9 ET35, 18x10 ET45, must be at least mildly lowered

KW Street Comfort coils(best coilover ride) or Eibach Pro-Kit springs wrapped over Koni SA dampers and shorter bumpstops. Although there is no height adjustability, Eibach/Koni has even gaps(with equalish diameter front rear tires) and the best daily ride, even over comfort coils.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 07-18-2023 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0