F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013
Studio RSR

08-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #45
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Just wanted to bump the thread and let everyone know I should have the full details for this event in the next few weeks. I have been getting feedback from people as well as trying to find the right balance for people that have been to this area before and people who have not.

Stay tuned

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #46
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to bump the thread and let everyone know I should have the full details for this event in the next few weeks. I have been getting feedback from people as well as trying to find the right balance for people that have been to this area before and people who have not.

Stay tuned

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #47
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Stay tuned

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #48
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Stay tuned

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #49
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Stay tuned

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #50
BigSkyBimmerfan
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Dates are still being figured out as we are trying to be in and out of all the areas before the crowds. Mid / Late June still looks to be the target date as this will avoid the major crowds.
This sounds great....however, I wonder if the snow pack will be gone by then...I know last year Glacier's "Going-to-the-Sun Road" was not even open until mid-July last year...but I went this past July 2012 long weekend this year. (Snow was 10-14 feet deep at Logan's Pass still).

Can someone from around Yellowstone comment if the proposed time period will work for us with Z4's
Thanks...
I live in Montana (count me in, LOL) and Beartooth typically opens Memorial weekend. However, it's often hit-or-miss for a few weeks around that time (freak storm daily closures and the like.) I picked up my 330i over Memorial weekend this year and skipped the pass on my way home from Chicago. It was looking sketchy but I'm sorta kicking myself now. I had Blizzaks on the stock 18's right there in the car with me - how bad could it be, amirite?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #51
Jet96
Rep
Drives: 2009Z4

Went through late last summer and the road is quite good, it's had a lot of work done in the last couple years. One thing about it, if it's open, there are few more spectacular drives in the country
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #52
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Dates of the event

June 24-28 – for meet and group activities. If you include driving to base camp it would be June 22nd – June 30th possibly depending on location you are starting from.

Base camp will be West Yellowstone. There is plenty of lodging, parking and activities for a hopefully big group. I will be working on group rates at the first of the year for everyone.
  • June 24th, 2013 - Yellowstone park North loop
  • June 25th, 2013 – Yellowstone park South Loop
  • June 26th, 2013 – Beartooth Pass drive. (This will be the drive day and will make for some great roads. This will be a LONG day, as we will cover some miles)
  • June 27th, 2013 – Leave West Yellowstone and travel to Jackson WY
    - Explore Grand Tetons during the day on the way to Jackson WY
  • June 28th, 2013 – Explore Grand Tetons

In an effort to help facilitate getting people in touch with each other to arrange caravans, I have made a form that I will use to populate a Google document. I am the only one who will see this as a FYI.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...eW9RcFlhQUE6MQ

What will we be doing there?

We are in the oldest national park in the world so we will be seeing the sights and doing some walking around. In addition, a few others and I are trying to arrange some group photo shots at the parks attractions. I have included one day for just pure driving for those who are interested.

What will this cost me to go?

You will be responsible for fuel, lodging, food, park fees and anything else you might want to do. The only fee that is 100% for sure is the $25 for a 7 day pass which allows you to see both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

If I get enough people interested, I could have some removable decals made to be placed on the side of the car to be like we are on a rally event. If you want me to look into these costs, let me know on the form above.

This sounds LAME!

I know some of you have posted you hated Yellowstone and would just do the Grand Teton or you just want to hall ass around all day seeing what your car can do. Sorry this is not the place to do that. The best explanation I can say why this is not lame is because you are going on a ROAD TRIP, which to me has always been a reason to go to places. This also is a continental wide event that hopefully will be the first of many more to come. Therefore, if you still think this is a lame idea then I wish you a safe summer in your adventures.

Currently I have four cars from Sacramento area 100% going. In addition, I know of a few in Montana that will be attending. This means we have about eight cars ranging from BMW, Audi, Ferrari and Lotus already attending.

If you wish to email me directly my email is norcal.drivers@gmail.com. Please make sure to let me know you are asking about Yellowstone as I organize many drives for the NorCal enthusiasts.

Cheers

Adam

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #53
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

This is a long time from now, so I can't really say I am in until I know what my schedule is like. I am sure by next year I can free up at least a week to travel.
      11-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #54
Helenfromjersey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

I went to Yellowstone in 2009 with my Mercedes 190SL group. To the person who worried about wildlife on the road. In 2009 many bison were on the road but were not aggressisve towards cars. I had my Subaru with a moonroof and we were able to lean out and photograph the bison easily. They all came very close to the cars without any problems. Many bison around the cabins and near lodges. This is where you must be very careful. Tourists still being killed by bison when they get too close to the bison. Do NOT ignore warning signs.
Yellowstone must be one of the most beautiful spots on this earth. The hot springs with many colors are stupendous. I would recommend that anybody who can possibly go, go!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #55
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just a bump to plant the seed on going to the event.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #56
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I had a member on one of the forums about this event offer to make decals. Below is a sample of the decals that would be available for the drive.

Not sure if we will do pick your number or assign a number. So far most people seem to want a decal number.

If you plan on attending even please make sure to fill out the Google form so i can start getting a better idea of numbers when i call the hotels towards the beginning of the year.

Please feel free to email you regional Euro car clubs to see if more people would be interested. I plan on inviting the CA Euro car marks that I know of.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #57
MikeK5
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3

This sounds really fun, I'm saving the date. Thanks for putting this on.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #58
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is another possible idea for a decal.

These are to be the friction type decal so you can remove it once done. These are optional if people want to do them. Let me know which one you like.

Cheers

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #59
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wanted to wish everyone a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

So far, if everyone who has filled out the form can attend we have 23 cars and 41 people. Not too bad for a completely underground organized event. Maybe we can get enough cars and people to take over the town HAHA.

Tell your friends about the event and if you can reach out to your local and regional Euro car clubs to see if they have any members interested.

Cheers

Adam

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #60
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

A question came up if you need to attend the whole event.

Answers is NO. If you can only make half the event or only want to do half the event you can still attend. I am not holding anyone to the fire so you are welcome to come and go as you please. I will have some scheduled actives (group shots, drive areas, other being planned) that I would hope you attend but if you do not, I am not going to hunt you down ;-)

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #61
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am still getting people singing up =) great to see all the eclectic mix of Euro cars that will hopefully be in attendance.

I am working with the West Yellowstone chamber of commerce on some special events activities while we are there. I also have a call into the National Park Service to see about arranging a special photo shoot inside the park. Navigating the red tape at the moment but hopeful i can pull it off.

Remember to email friends and contact your local Euro car clubs to let them know about this event. For a forum / underground created event, it is growing rather nicely. =)

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #62
mike@Vossen
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds like a really cool idea. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #63
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Looks like the world did not end on the 21st as predicted.

The event is still on and a email with hotel information and additional details has been sent to all those who filled out the Google doc. If you want the info and are planning on attending, please fill out the google doc and I will send you the info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...eW9RcFlhQUE6MQ

Have a safe new years.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #64
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wanted to wish everyone a safe and happy New Year. Look forward to seeing some of you in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Hopefully we will have a great event.

or those who have filled out the Google doc, you should have gotten an email with the hotels rates. Additionally there is a link to a website to order the stack decals for your car. If you did not get this email please let me know.

A few people have already ordered the decals so there are a few numbers less to pick from. I realized I never said you get to pick your car number if you order the decals.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #65
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just a FYI, For those who signed up on the Google form, I sent a email a while back with a webpage on how to order decals. I have updated the page with a desired car number field. No Promises yo will get that number so please have a few choices. You can do all numbers ( 00-99 ) or letter and number ( A0 )

Please email VS PM as I am not on some of these forums very often. norcal.drivers@gmail.com

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #66
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

A reminder to those who have received the hotel info to call in sooner than later. We have currently 77 cars signed up. Not to shabby.

Appreciate 0