F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Finally Fixed!!... Clunk in Steering/Suspension incl Diagnostics
proTUNING Freaks

03-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #23
elrey21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride View Post
Wow. They got it right after their 6th attempt. How many hours did they spend on it.... is it written on your work order?

Does this steering rack feel a bit different?
Well maybe not different as far as sportiness, but the overall feel is better because I no longer worry about that loose feeling the other one had, and the noises when going over bumps. Improved my BMW experience greatly so it was definitely worth it. I dont konw how many hours havnt gone over the bill that well but it was in the shop for about 2 weeks the final time.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #24
redeu3
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrey21 View Post
After months of torture with this noise its finally fixed. Got my car back after 2 and half weeks at the dealer. This was the third and final time I tried getting this problem fixed before I lemoned the car. Here is what the dealer found. It turned out to be something loose inside of the steering column. I know others have had this issue so heres the info. I just hope it doesnt come back.

Attachment 817784
Sorry to raise an old thread, I get clunking noise going over bumps while turning left mostly, i replicated the same noise with engine off, but ignition is on standby.

I've uploaded a video of how mine is like, is it the same as all of yours?

with engine turned off, ignition on standby.

afterwards, I started the car, the clunking is still there, just not as loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

I had the same noise on my June production '12 with VSS. My dealer eventually replaced the rack and it went away.

For all of you reading the repair order please understand that BMW will not easily authorize replacement of the rack. The tech had to follow a test plan to the letter, and document that all steps of BMW's written diagnostic plan did not resolve the defect. Only after documenting all required steps could the tech ask for authorization to replace the rack.

Personally my kudos to the tech that worked on OP's car for sticking with it, not giving-up and working hard to make the customer happy!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Just curious, does this only apply to VSS people or everybody?

dL
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeu3 View Post
Sorry to raise an old thread, I get clunking noise going over bumps while turning left mostly, i replicated the same noise with engine off, but ignition is on standby.

I've uploaded a video of how mine is like, is it the same as all of yours?

with engine turned off, ignition on standby.

afterwards, I started the car, the clunking is still there, just not as loud.
Interesting, my car doesn't make the clunking sound when turning the steering wheel while stationary like in your video. Mine is on the left side and only over uneven/rough payment and some bumps...exactly the same as the OP describes. It's been over a month since my SA ordered the steering rack and we're still waiting for arrival from Germany. I'm hopeful that it solves the problem....I'll post an update after I get the rack installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
I had the same noise on my June production '12 with VSS. My dealer eventually replaced the rack and it went away.

For all of you reading the repair order please understand that BMW will not easily authorize replacement of the rack. The tech had to follow a test plan to the letter, and document that all steps of BMW's written diagnostic plan did not resolve the defect. Only after documenting all required steps could the tech ask for authorization to replace the rack.

Personally my kudos to the tech that worked on OP's car for sticking with it, not giving-up and working hard to make the customer happy!
I took my car in awhile back complaining about the clunking sound, they checked and retorqued all suspension related components, but to no avail.

My next visit, I showed my SA the OP's repair order, and he just ordered the new rack, no questions asked.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #29
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Interesting, my car doesn't make the clunking sound when turning the steering wheel while stationary like in your video. Mine is on the left side and only over uneven/rough payment and some bumps...exactly the same as the OP describes. It's been over a month since my SA ordered the steering rack and we're still waiting for arrival from Germany. I'm hopeful that it solves the problem....I'll post an update after I get the rack installed.
Correction: my car DOES make the clunking sound when I turn the steering wheel back and forth quickly while stationary like in the video. I tried it last night and discovered the exact same sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #30
elrey21
Private First Class
Rep

After the rack, this sound still exists, I thought they were related but my sound was like a loose feeling in the front of the car when going over a series of bumps. And the noise is actually back.
      10-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #31
redeu3
Rep

Any one has the problem with after market suspension/springs installed?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #32
anonymousmoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C200 AMG Sport

I might be test driving a few pre-owned or demo F30's over the next fee weeks, to consider buying one.
  • What is the best way to test for this steering issue?
  • Any models or build years to avoid?
  • If I buy a pre-owend and it has the issue, is it still worth buying if the contract states it will get a new steering rack?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #33
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrey21 View Post
After the rack, this sound still exists, I thought they were related but my sound was like a loose feeling in the front of the car when going over a series of bumps. And the noise is actually back.
The sound is back?? Damn, that sucks. I have been waiting for quite awhile for a rack to arrive from Germany, I'm told it should be any day now. I was really hoping that this would be the fix for the problem. I'm quite certain I'm experiencing the same sound that you describe.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #34
elrey21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeu3
My problem was on stock. After they fixed the problem i installed H & R super sports and it was fine for months, but now its backs and I have to put my stock springs back for bmw to take a look at it, my SA is being an idiot, he knows it has nothing to do with the shocks but they want to find any reason to not be made responsible so.
      07-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #35
redeu3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrey21
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeu3
My problem was on stock. After they fixed the problem i installed H & R super sports and it was fine for months, but now its backs and I have to put my stock springs back for bmw to take a look at it, my SA is being an idiot, he knows it has nothing to do with the shocks but they want to find any reason to not be made responsible so.
My SA is exactly the same, u had to change back to stock for them to re-diagnose the problem. after no the of waiting, I finally got a new revised steering wheel replaced, the new rack feel slightly heavier, which I prefer, the issue has gone for about 3 weeks, now it has reappeared again. I took it back to SA again, after days of re-diagnoing again, their response was there's nothing they can do at this point without a fix from bmw. they suggested to lower my tyre pressure, in order to reduce the rattling, can u believe it? when I picked up my car, they have lowered my tyre pressure to 27psi. that's way too low for 18" wheel to me. I'm still on stock springs all these time, I've only done 10,000km, the issue first appeared when it has only donearound 2500km. it is just further annoyed the he'll out of me.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: Yes. :D

Changed the rack in June (2 weeks at the dealership), sound was back within 1000 kms. The new part number is 32106868893, which seems to be the current one.

The knocking is reduced while driving but same with engine off like the video posted by redeu3. The steering feels more firm and direct than the old rack.

The SA is clueless, wants me to bring the car in to try and figure it out. I don't think there is a 100% fix for this.

Current: BMW F13D, E38 735IL
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 02:16 PM   #37
Col 666
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 335I

Did anybody get to the bottom of this?
I had my rack replaced 6 weeks ago, rattle came back after 200 miles so another rack was fitted. Now 1000 miles later the rattle is back again!
I also had the strut top mounts and steering slip ring replaced recently. Very poor customer service also, where do I go from here?
Im tempted to call BMW assist and get them to recover the car as I feel its unsafe to drive and see what they come up with.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #38
bimmerlover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240Ixdrive

Re: clunk noise

Well, very interesting to read this thread.
I have a very early production F30 I believe July 2012.
The clunk noise, and the reason why I've posted on threads before hating the Dynamic Suspension is exactly because of a clunking/fragile sound that I thought the suspension was making everytime you drive over a speed bump/rough bumps in the road.
It's almost as if the suspension is clapping.. tuh-thunk... I just assumed it had something to do with the dynamic dampers being noisy as opposed to a solid linear mechanical suspension operation. I've never brought it in for service.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #39
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlover
Well, very interesting to read this thread.
I have a very early production F30 I believe July 2012.
The clunk noise, and the reason why I've posted on threads before hating the Dynamic Suspension is exactly because of a clunking/fragile sound that I thought the suspension was making everytime you drive over a speed bump/rough bumps in the road.
It's almost as if the suspension is clapping.. tuh-thunk... I just assumed it had something to do with the dynamic dampers being noisy as opposed to a solid linear mechanical suspension operation. I've never brought it in for service.
Actually my car does the same and is M-Sport normal suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #40
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY F82 MPE

Is this issue present in 4 series 2015-2016 cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #41
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
I find that when I first move the car and turn the steering wheel I also notice a very slight "click", but then seems to go away. Only happens when I first move the car (i.e. first turn it on and make a big turn of the steering wheel). Is this what everyone else has been noticing? Is it worth bringing in and trying to get them to install the new column? I just don't want them to completely disassemble my car like they did to you...
For what it's worth I did notice that too. Especially when backing off as opposed to just going forward. But it's kinda hard to reproduce consistently. That noise comes does not come from the cabin, it sounds like an outside noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #42
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
In my situation my clunking steering started with noticing that there wasn't a steering lock on this new F30. The wheel doesn't lock so you can move it after the engine is shut off. My nephew was playing with the steering wheel moving it left and right. That's when I noticed a thunk noise. So I tried moving the wheel left and right and sure enough it was making a thunking sound.
I tried it at the dealer lot but the 2 F30's I tried didn't make the sound my 335i.
No big deal as it only did this when the engine was not running, when the engine was running there was power assist so I couldn't hear any noises.

After a few months I noticed a light 'clunk' in the steering wheel when I would turn the wheel past 90 degrees mainly while parking because that's when you make the biggest steering movements.
It got louder and consistent over the miles. When I turn the steering wheel left or right past 90 degrees there is a thunk/clunk I can hear and mostly I feel. I don't like it cause steering shouldn't feel like there is something loose in there, it's disconcerting.

I don't hear or feel any clunks or thunks when going over bumps as the steering doesn't move very much when going straight.
But it does feel like the problem is progressive and getting more pronounced.
Haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but I'm going in soon to start the dreaded process of finding out what it is.
This is my exact experience as well. Minus the kid. But I did notice the click under the exact same circumstances. VERY interested in what you find out, please let the forum know.... BTW this is a different noise than the one I describe directly above this message. This noise right here, is something coming from the steering column for sure and feels like it's coming from inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #43
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 AW F30 335i M-Sport MT

Has anybody found a resolution for this issue. The more I search the more people have the issue also the X3 has the exact same issue but no fix anywhere. Hundreds of steering racks have been replaced but that has not resolved the issue. ITSA+ says thats normal but I would disagree, the clunk sounds metal on metal and that is never good in cars. Looking at RealOEM seems BMW has revised the steering rack every 6 months since 2012 and they keep coming up with new part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #44
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30GTR View Post
Has anybody found a resolution for this issue. The more I search the more people have the issue also the X3 has the exact same issue but no fix anywhere. Hundreds of steering racks have been replaced but that has not resolved the issue. ITSA+ says thats normal but I would disagree, the clunk sounds metal on metal and that is never good in cars. Looking at RealOEM seems BMW has revised the steering rack every 6 months since 2012 and they keep coming up with new part numbers.
You need a new #5
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_2076
Appreciate 0