F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool feature, find something, learn anything?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #1475
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

This is from the BMW website:

"BMW vehicles with BMW Head-Up Display can be recognised by a small square depression on the dashboard. This contains a projector and a system of mirrors that beams an easy-to-read, high-contrast image onto a translucent film on the windscreen, directly in your line of sight. "

I don't know what the "translucent film" consists of though.....
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #1476
Doublep
Happily breaking in the F36!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 430i GC EB/SB

Summary!

Well, Since I had a day to spare and a few days left to take delivery on my new F36 430i Gran Coupe in Estoril Blue, I thought I'd take it upon myself to summarize this entire thread.

I must've missed things here and there (such as a few iPhone things, being an Android user) but it's mostly here.

I'd be happy to take comments and critique and corrections, just send me a message here.

It's got 71 points now, all heavily dependent on if you're in EU, US, CA, Oz, etc and what trim you got.

See the attachment to this post and tell me what you think, guys!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf F3X.pdf (81.7 KB, 27288 views)
Appreciate 16
      01-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #1477
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublep View Post
Well, Since I had a day to spare and a few days left to take delivery on my new F36 430i Gran Coupe in Estoril Blue, I thought I'd take it upon myself to summarize this entire thread.

I must've missed things here and there (such as a few iPhone things, being an Android user) but it's mostly here.

I'd be happy to take comments and critique and corrections, just send me a message here.

It's got 71 points now, all heavily dependent on if you're in EU, US, CA, Oz, etc and what trim you got.

I experienced the car preventing you from driving if the door is open yesterday.
      01-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #1478
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
I experienced the car preventing you from driving if the door is open yesterday.
Is that missing from my list? Car not driving with door open and seat belt undone? Is that a feature? I can add it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #1479
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Is that missing from my list? Car not driving with door open and seat belt undone? Is that a feature? I can add it.
Yep. Also turning on fog lights when headlights are in DRL mode automatically turns on headlights.
      01-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #1480
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
Doublep, great list! Thanks so much for putting it together. Enjoy your new car when it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #1481
NiskyOB
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg420DTB View Post
Tried to program the sports display, it did not work. How did you do this?
I have a new 440i GC and was also interested in programming the sports display and and got the message that it was not possible - were you able to figure it out? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 02:01 AM   #1482
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livetodrive View Post
Doublep, great list! Thanks so much for putting it together. Enjoy your new car when it arrives!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiskyOB View Post
I have a new 440i GC and was also interested in programming the sports display and and got the message that it was not possible - were you able to figure it out? Thanks
This has been answered a few times before. Don't go into the sports display and then try to add it, but rather go to where you would select the sport screen, highlight it but don't enter it and then save it to one of the 1-8 buttons.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #1483
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

if you drive away with mirrors folded, they will open when you hit 25mph

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #1484
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

I have a new one!! The car beeps at you two times (horn beep), if you try to lock doors from outside while engine is running, and no one else in the car, and does not lock.

It definitely has allowed me to lock while others are in the car.

Let me know if you guys experience same?
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #1485
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:

Very Very Nice Doublep!! Mine is number 66 yea!!
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #1486
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Quote:
Can you elaborate a bit on #10, "ECO Pro gauge in extended window can be switched off to show MPG/KPL"

I've searched this thread for "eco" or "gauge" but haven't found anything. How can you switch from the blue unlabeled gauge while in Eco Pro mode back to the normal labeled consumption gauge?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #1487
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranBonn View Post
Can you elaborate a bit on #10, "ECO Pro gauge in extended window can be switched off to show MPG/KPL"

I've searched this thread for "eco" or "gauge" but haven't found anything. How can you switch from the blue unlabeled gauge while in Eco Pro mode back to the normal labeled consumption gauge?
It's in the iDrive settings under Instrument Panel. If you uncheck Eco Pro, then the standard MPGs show. If you uncheck Additional Info then nothing shows. This assumes you have Extended Contents.
Appreciate 1
GoranBonn144.00
      01-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #1488
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

I'll update all you guys' additions every few days or so if I can!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #1489
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
I have a new one!! The car beeps at you two times (horn beep), if you try to lock doors from outside while engine is running, and no one else in the car, and does not lock.

I can absolutely lock my running 2014 335i without anyone inside. I do it all the time and love this feature for a quick run into a convenience store. If I recall correctly; the car doesn't beep when doing this.

On the other hand my girlfriend's Honda completely rejects this behavior. The doors will not lock, and the car will beep at you if you try to leave it running without the key inside.
      01-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #1490
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post

I can absolutely lock my running 2014 335i without anyone inside. I do it all the time and love this feature for a quick run into a convenience store. If I recall correctly; the car doesn't beep when doing this.

On the other hand my girlfriend's Honda completely rejects this behavior. The doors will not lock, and the car will beep at you if you try to leave it running without the key inside.
Are you locking it with key blade?
      01-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #1491
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

My old Lexus did not lock if you used the touch pad on the door handle, but did lock if you actually pressed the button on the fob--then the car knows you actually have the key with you to unlock it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #1492
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
It's a bit of semi-transparent mirror. The HUD reflects off it. Without it the HUD would still reflect off the glass, but with less intensity, and you'd get double imaging, as it reflects off both layers of glass in the windshield.
Quote:
Mine doesn't beep, and I frequently lock it with the engine running. What's odd is that when I unlock it and get back in the dash message will say 'Key not detected, engine will not start' even though the key at that point is in the car and the engine is already running.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #1493
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:

The strangest thing now, iI tried it again, and it let me lock it and did not beep. I tried it with the fob on me, and then placed the fob on the front seat, both times it locked, no beeping.

I am going to investigate further, because it did it before. Some parameter is not the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #1494
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's a bit of semi-transparent mirror. The HUD reflects off it. Without it the HUD would still reflect off the glass, but with less intensity, and you'd get double imaging, as it reflects off both layers of glass in the windshield.
Mine doesn't beep, and I frequently lock it with the engine running. What's odd is that when I unlock it and get back in the dash message will say 'Key not detected, engine will not start' even though the key at that point is in the car and the engine is already running.
I am going to test it further.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 03:19 AM   #1495
NOGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

Thank you huge help.
Enjoy your new ride!

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 03:51 AM   #1496
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
This is from the BMW website:

"BMW vehicles with BMW Head-Up Display can be recognised by a small square depression on the dashboard. This contains a projector and a system of mirrors that beams an easy-to-read, high-contrast image onto a translucent film on the windscreen, directly in your line of sight. "

I think this description is off, or is describing the add-on HUD you can get I think also for BMWs. For some of those you need to stick on a piece of film to your windshield.

The built-in HUD, according to the technical docs (pages 39-40), projects onto the windscreen. The windscreen does need to be special - it needs to be wedge shaped to prevent double images. Basically the image projected upwards to a normal windscreen would have two reflected images: one reflected from the interior surface of the windshield, the other from the outside surface. I guess if you make the surfaces at an angle, you can get the projected images to align.
Appreciate 0