F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Elite (340i / 440i w/ MPPSK)
ARMA SPEED

05-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #265
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

The whole reason people pick DINAN over other tuners....is because OEM+/no CEL/no issues.. at least that is how it is sold to us.

Thus, when an issue does show up...we should see them jump all over it like the house is on fire.
Appreciate 1
MojoRider103.50
      05-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #266
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYE View Post
I understand your perspective but I'm referencing more about the software flash/tune compensating for modifications. Why is it on my GT3 I can run no cats, or high flow cats, or any configuration of headers/exhaust and not throw cells? I'm in CA as well and pass smog when plugged in.

On my previous e36 m3 with obd1 conversion which I did back in 2003 again I had no issues with cells whether I was straight piped or not. Turbo kit on it, again no issues.

Obviously these cars have got more complex today but there should be no reason a car can't run smooth just because weather changed outside. Sure it takes work to get it right, but just living with it should not be an option.
I would happily live with a few CEL's if I had your GT3
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #267
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
The whole reason people pick DINAN over other tuners....is because OEM+/no CEL/no issues.. at least that is how it is sold to us.

Thus, when an issue does show up...we should see them jump all over it like the house is on fire.
Good point. I think that inference is definitely there in addition to an even bigger issue of Warranty and ability to bring it to the dealer for service work without having to remove the harness each time. If my car wasnt under warranty, i would have gotten the JB4 tune for sure. At least we have a few choices.

Are you experiencing CEL issues with a Dinan tune on your 328i? sorry, if you stated earlier.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #268
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToAgree View Post
Good point. I think that inference is definitely there in addition to an even bigger issue of Warranty and ability to bring it to the dealer for service work without having to remove the harness each time. If my car wasnt under warranty, i would have gotten the JB4 tune for sure. At least we have a few choices.

Are you experiencing CEL issues with a Dinan tune on your 328i? sorry, if you stated earlier.
No issues. I installed my DINAN exhaust, sounds good for a 328i. My tune is sitting in the garage and should be installed soon.

I look at threads for 340i as I have hopes of owning one, one day.
I had a GTI back in the day, full APR stage 2+. There was the same discussion for that platform as well... APR is over priced...you can get more power from a lesser known tuner...etc...etc. However, what I loved about APR was the professional package they sold. The support. The quality. etc etc. DINAN has sold itself very much like APR (in fact you can now find VW dealers that are APR as well). OEM+ type of tuning. Tuning without sacrifices... BMW/DINAN dealers....Yes more money but reliable, power and support.

That type of stuff turns me into a fanboy.

BUT and again...my God that comes all crashing down when your product support and quality start to go downhill!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #269
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
No issues. I installed my DINAN exhaust, sounds good for a 328i. My tune is sitting in the garage and should be installed soon.

I look at threads for 340i as I have hopes of owning one, one day.
I had a GTI back in the day, full APR stage 2+. There was the same discussion for that platform as well... APR is over priced...you can get more power from a lesser known tuner...etc...etc. However, what I loved about APR was the professional package they sold. The support. The quality. etc etc. DINAN has sold itself very much like APR (in fact you can now find VW dealers that are APR as well). OEM+ type of tuning. Tuning without sacrifices... BMW/DINAN dealers....Yes more money but reliable, power and support.

That type of stuff turns me into a fanboy.

BUT and again...my God that comes all crashing down when your product support and quality start to go downhill!!!
Well, Dinan and APR owned by the same company and now Dinan moved so maybe they will absorb some of the APR learnings My prior car was a GTI and was thinking of the same APR tune but got a good deal on this 2016 340i so went that route. The sound of the dinan exhaust and midpipe is great on the B58 but if you get the B58, imho, the suspension needs to be addressed first, even prior to the tune, unless you only drive in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #270
sewhelan9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

I have had my DINAN Stage 1 (non-MPPSK) for about 6 months/2,300 miles and no issues or CELs (except for one that was for a charge pipe pressure sensor that was replaced under warranty). I love the smooth power delivery and at least so far, no issues. The install was a little bit of a pain, but that was because the local DINAN dealer screwed up and ordered the MPPSK version. At least for me so far, I would say that it has been worth it and the fact that my dealership knows that it is installed and has no issues with it makes my life easier. I am looking forward to Stage 2 since I am installing an AP intake this weekend and soon either a DINAN or Remus cat back exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #271
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewhelan9 View Post
I have had my DINAN Stage 1 (non-MPPSK) for about 6 months/2,300 miles and no issues or CELs (except for one that was for a charge pipe pressure sensor that was replaced under warranty). I love the smooth power delivery and at least so far, no issues. The install was a little bit of a pain, but that was because the local DINAN dealer screwed up and ordered the MPPSK version. At least for me so far, I would say that it has been worth it and the fact that my dealership knows that it is installed and has no issues with it makes my life easier. I am looking forward to Stage 2 since I am installing an AP intake this weekend and soon either a DINAN or Remus cat back exhaust.
You may want to consider the Dinan Intake coming out in just weeks... They told me the stage 2 tune is designed for the intake. Not sure if just marketing speak but they told me they have tested several designs for the B58 in synch with the stage 2 tune.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #272
sewhelan9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
You may want to consider the Dinan Intake coming out in just weeks... They told me the stage 2 tune is designed for the intake. Not sure if just marketing speak but they told me they have tested several designs for the B58 in synch with the stage 2 tune.
Did they give any indications of what the changes/increases would be over Stage 1? I may have to resist the urge to immediately install the AP intake when it arrives next week until I hear more about what DINAN is up to. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #273
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewhelan9 View Post
Did they give any indications of what the changes/increases would be over Stage 1? I may have to resist the urge to immediately install the AP intake when it arrives next week until I hear more about what DINAN is up to. Thanks!
They didnt, but my guess is they will tune another 10-20 hp in Stage 2 otherwise not sure why they would even do it. They just said they are being very finicky with the intake and changed the design a few times which caused the
delay. They said they are locked in now and said 6-8 weeks away and that was a couple of weeks ago. They said Stage 3 will be an upgraded turbo / intercooler so that is probably when the next big jump will occur.
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #274
phinole
Ridin' thru Atlanna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport Dinan S1

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [10.00]
I just inquired about the intake again last week, and the salesman Jim Hodgman let me know that their 340 test car is still in California and isn't expected to Alabama until June, so it will probably July at the earliest for this thing to ship.

Quote:
They didnt, but my guess is they will tune another 10-20 hp in Stage 2 otherwise not sure why they would even do it. They just said they are being very finicky with the intake and changed the design a few times which caused the
delay. They said they are locked in now and said 6-8 weeks away and that was a couple of weeks ago. They said Stage 3 will be an upgraded turbo / intercooler so that is probably when the next big jump will occur.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #275
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinole View Post
I just inquired about the intake again last week, and the salesman Jim Hodgman let me know that their 340 test car is still in California and isn't expected to Alabama until June, so it will probably July at the earliest for this thing to ship.
Hopefully soon!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #276
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Appreciate that view but my sense is that is a very high ambition. Look at all the CELs that occur with folks adding downpipes? when you read those posts, there are no assertions on the company that their downpipes are poor because a CEL is being thrown. It reads like normal modding that requires consideration of sensors being tripped. Just offering an observation. I'm not happy either that I had the inconvenience of bringing my car to the dealer becuase of a CEL. I could've just cleared the CEL at my home and written it off but wanted to have the dealer check it. Hopefully, it wont happen to often as the car is an absolute beast with the Dinan tune and I really dont want to lose the warranty option nor do i want to remove the harness every time i bring in for service work (eg with the JB4).
Throwing a check engine light is 100% expected when installing a downpipe on any modern vehicle. The check engine light for P0420/P0430 (catalyst efficiency) is telling you the catalytic converter(s) have been removed which the car is legally mandated to warn you about. If you take the cats out, you should expect the car’s monitoring of the cats to pop up and tell you they are gone (or not working). A stage 2 tune typically shuts off the cat monitoring and prevents a CEL but would not allow the car to pass emissions testing, at least here in California.

If you throw any other oxygen sensor codes besides P0420 or P0430, the installer may have damaged an O2 sensor (they’re pretty sensitive), installed the sensors in the wrong spots, or in rare cases the location of the O2 sensor bungs is too close together or too far apart for the primary & secondary sensors which can confuse the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #277
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Throwing a check engine light is 100% expected when installing a downpipe on any modern vehicle. The check engine light for P0420/P0430 (catalyst efficiency) is telling you the catalytic converter(s) have been removed which the car is legally mandated to warn you about. If you take the cats out, you should expect the car’s monitoring of the cats to pop up and tell you they are gone (or not working). A stage 2 tune typically shuts off the cat monitoring and prevents a CEL but would not allow the car to pass emissions testing, at least here in California.

If you throw any other oxygen sensor codes besides P0420 or P0430, the installer may have damaged an O2 sensor (they’re pretty sensitive), installed the sensors in the wrong spots, or in rare cases the location of the O2 sensor bungs is too close together or too far apart for the primary & secondary sensors which can confuse the ECU.

Thanks, i was using the DP in this case as an example... Anytime you start modding the engine/system components, you may run into a CEL on occasion. If the expectation is 100% all the time same as OEM when it is not OEM, then some might be disappointed. Seems like a high standard to hit for everyone all the time... I do agree though as some have eluded, if you are going to charge more than double of others, you need to have even better reliability.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #278
Pr3dict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 340

So still going back and forth with dealer. Last time I went they put a "pass-through" module in the car and cleared the CEL. Well, 2 days later and the CEL is back. I'm sick of going to the dealer 8 times over the past year to have this CEL dealt with so I'm contacting customer relations tomorrow. I'm under the impression this 340 is a lemon.

Glad to see its not the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #279
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

I was all set to go for Dinan Stage 1 so I called my local BMW dealer who is Dinan authorised; they said the BMW’s agreement with Dinan is no longer in place and they are ceasing to do dinan installs.

Anyone else hear this?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #280
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
I was all set to go for Dinan Stage 1 so I called my local BMW dealer who is Dinan authorised; they said the BMW’s agreement with Dinan is no longer in place and they are ceasing to do dinan installs.

Anyone else hear this?
News to me. I know some BMW dealers elect to come and go with Dinan. Are you sure its not just the dealer deciding not to be a Dinan dealer anymore?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 11:17 PM   #281
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Quote:
I was all set to go for Dinan Stage 1 so I called my local BMW dealer who is Dinan authorised; they said the BMW's agreement with Dinan is no longer in place and they are ceasing to do dinan installs.

Anyone else hear this?
I got the same response from my dealer in Edmonton, Canada. They stated that dinan refused to cover warranty work for which they were responsible.

They won't install any dinan products anymore.
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 11:55 PM   #282
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Same here in SoCal
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 01:13 AM   #283
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
News to me. I know some BMW dealers elect to come and go with Dinan. Are you sure its not just the dealer deciding not to be a Dinan dealer anymore?
Yeah, they were pretty clear that it’s at BMW Level, not them. They are in process of ceasing as a Dinan dealer because BMW no longer has the partnership.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #284
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Anyone else hear this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
I got the same response from my dealer in Edmonton, Canada. They stated that dinan refused to cover warranty work for which they were responsible.

They won't install any dinan products anymore.
Quote:
Yeah, they were pretty clear that it’s at BMW Level, not them. They are in process of ceasing as a Dinan dealer because BMW no longer has the partnership.
Let's be clear up front --- there has NEVER been a formal agreement/partnership between BMW NA and Dinan so there is nothing to cease in that regard. While we do interact with BMW NA on a regular basis the best description I can use is we are "strange bed fellows". The decision to be a Dinan dealer is strictly up to the individual dealerships themselves. Some dealers come and go, typically based off of ownership changes, but its a constantly shifting landscape in the dealership realm. That said, more often then not, the statements like above are made by someone in the dealership that isnt aware of the dealers dealings due to being new or whatever other reason or simply is trying to avoid additional work. As most of you know dealership turnover is very real and a very real issue for businesses like ours that are tied so closely to them. Typically there are only a handful of people within the dealership that really do Dinan sales so if you aren't talking to them you will get drastically different responses. Its a constant battle with training in that regard.

Some closures do happen on occasion but we are not aware of any New York dealerships ceasing the program so I would love to hear who that may be via PM along with whomever you may have talked to if the name is recalled. Same can be said for the Edmonton BMW dealers (talked to both dealerships in town just recently) so that's even more of a mystery.
Appreciate 2
Yeineken1297.50
phinole25.50
      07-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #285
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for posting some good information, i have a better understanding of how it works. I’ll PM you the dealer, as they still show up on your website.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #286
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

I'll do the same
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0