F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Jumper Cables
Extreme Powerhouse

04-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #23
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Really? Because I've jumpstarted a completely dead LR4 a couple times without any problems, until we got a new battery. Those things ARE electrical hogs, though.
I've had mixed results with jump-starting and dead batteries. Once with our E53 (1st gen) X5 it was just kaput. Tried to jump it from my E46 330i and just got "click click", not even a "whir whir".

Later with our E70 (2nd gen) X5 with N55 engine, it would start then die a second or two later. The tow truck driver was actually able to drive it onto his truck by gunning the gas, although it stalled a couple more times during the process. That also turned out to be a dead battery.

Best roadside experience was with MB and our ML320. My wife had a dead battery at work and a guy from the dealer came by with a new battery and swapped it out on the spot.

Anyway I have one of those bigass old-school jumper batteries. I'll probably replace it with one of the new LiOn or LiPoly ones this summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #24
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatryan View Post
Anyone put a small toolkit together to carry? Or some stuff like that, or just rely on that SoS button?
Get an E28!

2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #25
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Really? Because I've jumpstarted a completely dead LR4 a couple times without any problems, until we got a new battery. Those things ARE electrical hogs, though.
It was a Defender TDI - I still think it should have worked as well . Did use the front terminals.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #26
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA
Quote:
Anyone put a small toolkit together to carry? Or some stuff like that, or just rely on that SoS button?
Get an E28!

Oh that is sweet, wish they kept doing that.

I ordered the utility kit from ecs should be cool, and oem
      04-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #27
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
That's to release the front hood, and yes it seems to be manually operated!

However if all your tools/jumper cables are in the trunk, and you have no power, you are unable to easily gain access to them to fix the problem!! Maybe crawl through the back seat and use the emergency release within the trunk?
On my 340 the release for the fold down rear seats is located ... yeah you guessed it, in the trunk! Might be a way to release a seat back by reaching through the center section of the seat but I have not checked to see if that is possible, yet.
      04-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #28
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
On my 340 the release for the fold down rear seats is located ... yeah you guessed it, in the trunk! Might be a way to release a seat back by reaching through the center section of the seat but I have not checked to see if that is possible, yet.
I actually had a look at that exact thing today. It looks doable for reasonably-sized guys, especially if you have longer arms. If you're short and wide it might be a bit of a stretch, literally.

I kinda feel like the engineers at BMW didn't really consider all the implications of what might happen with a dead battery. Getting the car out of park and accessing the trunk being exhibits A and B.
Appreciate 2
      04-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #29
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Hmmm, I think you're right, it is a "stretch" to get at those rear seat back releases from within the car. Tempted to figure out a way to install a "hook" of some sort at the back of the trunk for a set of jumper cables to hang from within easy reach for that rare occasion I might need them.
      04-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #30
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Yes, I agree removing the key lock on the trunk is shortsighted. As long as you can access the cabin and the trunk with a key, you are covered, but...

You can access the hood with a key and jump using the jump points to use the fob to open the trunk, but that doesn't work well if the jumper cables are where you would keep them - in the trunk! Guess you need a support vehicle or call for roadside assistance which I would only do if I were far from home.

I ran into something similar with my 135. I disconnected the battery for winter storage and in the spring with the trunk closed I realized there was no keyhole to open the trunk. Had to jump from under the hood to access the trunk to reconnect the battery. I didn't see that one coming - it was my first car without a trunk keyhole.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #31
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Oh that is sweet, wish they kept doing that.

I ordered the utility kit from ecs should be cool, and oem
I'd say 99% of BMW drivers don't even know one tool from the other, let alone how to use them.
      04-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #32
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
That's to release the front hood, and yes it seems to be manually operated!

However if all your tools/jumper cables are in the trunk, and you have no power, you are unable to easily gain access to them to fix the problem!! Maybe crawl through the back seat and use the emergency release within the trunk?
Gran Coupe. No problem. Drop the seats and climb back there
      04-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #33
Losig999
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E3

If you buy the kit from the shelf, do not trust the thickness of the cable that you see. Pull one of the clamps from the clamp to open the connection, where the copper cable is crimped with a clamp.Some of them use more plastic insulation than copper in the cable.So most important things to look at when buying jumpers are:
- proper, strong clamps
- current rating
Look this article about jumper cables https://mechanicguides.com/best-jumper-cables/ I think you need it
Appreciate 0