F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
ARMA SPEED

02-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #859
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Is this English?
LMAO, I love quotes like those. Makes me laugh. Obviously english is a second language for him.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #860
N-Y
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Steering rack. Yes, front wheels.

Make sure car is clean and accident free. Check VIN with BMW dealer to be sure you have no surprises with warranty.
i have vin #... i got the car proof, its clean... i have a friend who's a paralegal and she checked the company out... no lawsuit, been in business for 15 years.

I paid BMW to do pre delivery inspection, so they checked everything for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #861
jimmer2654
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2013

I have the same problem. Bought my 328i at the end of december 2012 and had issues 2 days later. My steering wheel has some vibrations driving about 40-50 mph, and on the second day of owning a brand new BMW the rear taillight pops out from the trunk. I was pissed. I contacted the dealership in Tallahasee and they told me to bring it back and they'll replace the taillight head unit and it should be good. I told them i wanted some type of compensation as this is a brand new vehicle and i drove 2 hours to get it. They ended up giving me a gift certificate for $100 and filling up my gas. I told them this was a known issue and asked if this was manufacturing defect? They said no. 3 weeks later and the same taillight pops out again. I contacted the dealship again and they called BMW and said that the approved solution is to use adhesive to fix it. I was like WTF..this is a 48k car. It shouldn't be held together with adhesive. I want out of this car and into a different vehicle...BMW said they couldn't but offered 250 dollars in store credit at the dealership....I'm going to get it fixed and hopefully it breaks again to claim lemon law on that vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #862
archer636
Rep
Drives: 135i 2013

I am yet to see a F30 that does not vibrate- I have tried several F30s and they all seem to do this- I am not saying it is normal but maybe all F30s have this defect and owners don't know about it? This is one of those things that if you are not very attentive to detail you might not notice it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #863
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer636 View Post
I am yet to see a F30 that does not vibrate- I have tried several F30s and they all seem to do this- I am not saying it is normal but maybe all F30s have this defect and owners don't know about it? This is one of those things that if you are not very attentive to detail you might not notice it.
my new 335i msport does not have a shimmying steering wheel @ any speed.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #864
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

My new 328 m-sport does have a vibration issue. 2013/01wk3 build, no *HP, Potenza's.

I first noticed it driving home from taking delivery. My thought was that I had a tire(s) out of balance. I'm planning on replacing the tires anyways, so I just kinda ignored it. I haven't put many miles on it yet, but thinking back it's happened pretty much every time I get on the highway - to one degree or another. Unfortunately, the car is currently at the body shop til next Friday so I can't look into it more. Also, I admittedly have only driven it a handful of times (~90 miles on it), but something's definitely not right.

One thing I find kind of odd is that it seems to happen abruptly. My experience with unbalanced tires is that you can feel it pretty much at every speed. Kinda like a body wobble progresses to a steering vibration. This is different as I don't recall there being a low speed wobble/shimmy.

Do you guys think I should hold off on getting the new non-runflat tires (PSS's) until the issue is resolved? I fear the dealer will blame the new tires.

For the record I saw this thread after I noticed the issue, so it's not like I was looking for it or anything. This weekend is the first I've heard about it. Due diligence FAIL on my part
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #865
Sphinx-3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin951 View Post
My new 328 m-sport does have a vibration issue. 2013/01wk3 build, no *HP, Potenza's.

I first noticed it driving home from taking delivery. My thought was that I had a tire(s) out of balance. I'm planning on replacing the tires anyways, so I just kinda ignored it. I haven't put many miles on it yet, but thinking back it's happened pretty much every time I get on the highway - to one degree or another. Unfortunately, the car is currently at the body shop til next Friday so I can't look into it more. Also, I admittedly have only driven it a handful of times (~90 miles on it), but something's definitely not right.

One thing I find kind of odd is that it seems to happen abruptly. My experience with unbalanced tires is that you can feel it pretty much at every speed. Kinda like a body wobble progresses to a steering vibration. This is different as I don't recall there being a low speed wobble/shimmy.

Do you guys think I should hold off on getting the new non-runflat tires (PSS's) until the issue is resolved? I fear the dealer will blame the new tires.

For the record I saw this thread after I noticed the issue, so it's not like I was looking for it or anything. This weekend is the first I've heard about it. Due diligence FAIL on my part
Unfortunately, your doubts are real. There's an issue with vibrations and no fix yet, as far as I know.

I feel bad for everyone on this post! I started this thread last year and was expecting an isolated issue on my car, but apparently it's not.

Some folks here said they were able to reduce this issue with forced road balance. So my suggestion is, talk to the dealer before you put on the new tires.

And good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #866
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

I have the vibration too, at all speeds above 40 on my 328 Msport, last week Jan 2013 production. 900 miles of driving didnt' change it.

At first I thought it was the rental winter tires, but the car is at the dealer now and the dealer felt the vibration and is replacing the rotors. i'm not hopeful that will solve it as braking is very smooth.

EDIT: shockingly enough, replacing all four brake rotors solved the issue 100 pct. there is no more vibration at all, and it was fairly pronounced.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #867
Mchamp49
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Msport

I just got mine back Wednesday after the dealer replaced my steering rack, fixed the problem thankfully. Said the electric motor was the issue. Mine started vibrating at 40 mph and go really bad around 50mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #868
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer636 View Post
Given the number of people with the vibration issue, I obviously accept that it is happening to SOME F30's.
Again, it's not ALL F30's, my 335i Msport steering wheel does NOT vibrate at all.

To say I or others don't feel a shimmy is because we are just not very attentive is insulting.
If your F30 has vibration issues, I accept that, but don't come here telling me that ALL F30's have this problem, and the reason why I don't feel it is because I'm simply not as astute as you are to how my car drives or should drive.

If you need to believe that all F30's have this problem, then that is simply your limited experience of the issue and F30's in general.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #869
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
my new 335i msport does not have a shimmying steering wheel @ any speed.
Clearly you are not very attentive to how it really does vibrate.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #870
mjmonjure
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

I have the same problem. 2013 328i with run flats. I didn't notice this until, with 200 miles on the odometer, I ran over some metal chards which took out the front and rear right tires. After they replaced the tires (exact same ones), its had a slight, but annoying vibration in the steering wheel, beginning around 40 mph and disappearing around 60.

Dealer balance did nothing and of course they charged me for it. It seems to almost completely disappear after driving for 5 miles or so and I wonder if it has anything to do with the temperature of the air in the tires.

It's not bad enough for me raise a big stink with the dealer, but it is non the less annoying. I guess I am surprised to see so many complaints about this and BMW does not have a fix which is known to the dealers.

Last edited by mjmonjure; 04-16-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #871
dbmd
Registered
Rep
Drives: no bmw

A 328i was to be my first BMW. I test drove three, and on the last one we were on the highway and I started feeling a vibration in the steering wheel. It definitely surprised me when it started, I thought "What the hell is that?" It didn't really feel like a balance problem, it felt mechanical, forced, unnatural, and annoying. So when I got home I looked it up, found this thread and a lot of others.

I drove down the same stretch of road at the same speed in a 2010 370Z, and a 2006 Civic. They both gave the slightest bit of feedback, but it felt very much like road surface feedback, and it was very slight. Definitely not the unwelcome interference I felt in the 328i.

I see steering complaints about the Audi A4s too.

Last edited by dbmd; 05-08-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #872
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Do realize that there's a huge bias in terms of posts on this thread in terms of who says they do and who says they don't. The ones who all claim to have the issue are also a lot of people who googled the problem, and were led here. However, no one who DOESN'T have the issue is going to google "steering wheel vibration" and come here to post that they don't have it. Therefore, it's more like the entire internet vs the regular members of this forum.....

I've driven 4 F30s (test drove a 328 and a 335 at dealership before buying, test drove a 328 at diff dealership that I had gone to first but where the SA threw me off, and my current 328i I own), and I have never felt this steering wheel vibration. I've driven them on asphalt, tarmac, at all speeds from city crawl to highway 70-80mph. They've all been on run flat tires (dunno what brand).

I'm not saying that the issue doesn't exist, I'm just saying it's not as huge or widespread a problem as people on this forum make it out to be (listening to people here you'd expect 7 out of 8 F30s to have it). I'd be surprised if this affected more than a few percent of the cars produced.

It's also very telling how many of these people say their dealerships/repair places can't "replicate" the issue. I think some people don't have this problem, but are rather just unused to how sports cars handle (prob expecting a slushy ride like a caddy), and upon coming across this thread think it's the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #873
Evilsmith
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

You have to take into account that this isnt a problem with cars as they approach 50k miles or 100k miles. This is a problem that is happening to at least double-digit cars FROM THE SHOWROOM FLOOR. People are still buying cars that have this problem for a lot of money, and from everything I have heard so far it doesnt look like much is being done in the way of resolving the issue from an owner perspective by either dealerships or BMW. This issue does not appear isolated to one batch of cars, one year, or one package. This issue is happening at a seemingly random rate with unknown future ramifications. Is this going to cause my steering box to prematurely wear out? Are my tires going to wear out quicker? How will the bushings take 50k miles of high-speed vibration? These are all things that have had me at the dealership 3 times to resolve the issue with no positive results. If nothing else, I feel like the dealership is merely placating. Yes, I have a PUMA number, yes they know that its a problem. They have gone as far to imply that its not a big deal, and I feel like BMW is taking much of the same lackadaisical approach to this.

I have had plenty of sports cars, and this is my 6th BMW. I have had E30's, an E36, and an E46. I cant speak for everyone thats having this problem (And some of the descriptions definitely sound like different problems), but this is definitely an issue and it needs addressed. The fact that there is more than one forum talking about this issue has to speak to the amount of people experiencing it. Between the vibrating wheel and a handful of other issues, this will likely be my last BMW for a while. I would really like to turn around my newly negative feelings about this car from "extremely displeased" to a general "underwhelmed".
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #874
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsmith View Post
You have to take into account that this isnt a problem with cars as they approach 50k miles or 100k miles. This is a problem that is happening to at least double-digit cars FROM THE SHOWROOM FLOOR. People are still buying cars that have this problem for a lot of money, and from everything I have heard so far it doesnt look like much is being done in the way of resolving the issue from an owner perspective by either dealerships or BMW. This issue does not appear isolated to one batch of cars, one year, or one package. This issue is happening at a seemingly random rate with unknown future ramifications. Is this going to cause my steering box to prematurely wear out? Are my tires going to wear out quicker? How will the bushings take 50k miles of high-speed vibration? These are all things that have had me at the dealership 3 times to resolve the issue with no positive results. If nothing else, I feel like the dealership is merely placating. Yes, I have a PUMA number, yes they know that its a problem. They have gone as far to imply that its not a big deal, and I feel like BMW is taking much of the same lackadaisical approach to this.

I have had plenty of sports cars, and this is my 6th BMW. I have had E30's, an E36, and an E46. I cant speak for everyone thats having this problem (And some of the descriptions definitely sound like different problems), but this is definitely an issue and it needs addressed. The fact that there is more than one forum talking about this issue has to speak to the amount of people experiencing it. Between the vibrating wheel and a handful of other issues, this will likely be my last BMW for a while. I would really like to turn around my newly negative feelings about this car from "extremely displeased" to a general "underwhelmed".
I think you need to stick to end of cycle models as opposed to fresh redesigns. There are always teething problems. Always. Regardless of brand, build location or cost. It's a fact of life. My 11/12 335i is flawless. No issues of ANY sort. Not a single trip back to the dealer. Not a single buzz, creak, whistle or vibration. Over 7k miles and counting...

Internet forums are the WORST place to attempt to ascertain even a remotely accurate assessment of failure rates. Worst. The worst. Horrible. Useless. Jumping across forums is just as useless. Especially since the same folks tend to frequent multiple sites and, worse yet, folks with a gripe have a tendency to be very vocal about it.

If you're not getting satisfaction, find another dealer to work with.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #875
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I think you need to stick to end of cycle models as opposed to fresh redesigns. There are always teething problems. Always. Regardless of brand, build location or cost. It's a fact of life. My 11/12 335i is flawless. No issues of ANY sort. Not a single trip back to the dealer. Not a single buzz, creak, whistle or vibration. Over 7k miles and counting...

Internet forums are the WORST place to attempt to ascertain even a remotely accurate assessment of failure rates. Worst. The worst. Horrible. Useless. Jumping across forums is just as useless. Especially since the same folks tend to frequent multiple sites and, worse yet, folks with a gripe have a tendency to be very vocal about it.

If you're not getting satisfaction, find another dealer to work with.
Absolutely dead accurate statements. People tend to take what they read on these sites as gospel. I really think that some are so easily influenced by what they read, that they convince themselves that they too have the same issues. There can be growing pains with a new MY for sure but IMHO, I don't worry about the issues until they happen and even then I am more concerned about how the manufacture addresses those issues. I can deal with the problems that arise as long as BMW stands by their product and fixes and/or makes things right. From what I have seen and experienced BMW has met those requirements for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #876
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
Absolutely dead accurate statements. People tend to take what they read on these sites as gospel. I really think that some are so easily influenced by what they read, that they convince themselves that they too have the same issues. There can be growing pains with a new MY for sure but IMHO, I don't worry about the issues until they happen and even then I am more concerned about how the manufacture addresses those issues. I can deal with the problems that arise as long as BMW stands by their product and fixes and/or makes things right. From what I have seen and experienced BMW has met those requirements for me.
It is easy for you to say that because you are not having this problem.good for you.Me too have had Bmw's before had e36 e46m sport e90 m sport and now this f30 sport and x1 mport,non of my previous cars had this vibration issue.. and I didnt come to this forum and read ,then find the fault with my car.I came to this forum trying to find answers or if there are any issues so as to help me point it out to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #877
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjy2000 View Post
It is easy for you to say that because you are not having this problem.good for you.Me too have had Bmw's before had e36 e46m sport e90 m sport and now this f30 sport and x1 mport,non of my previous cars had this vibration issue.. and I didnt come to this forum and read ,then find the fault with my car.I came to this forum trying to find answers or if there are any issues so as to help me point it out to the dealership.
Since the comments were not directed at anyone in particular but instead a statement on what I have seen on many forums over the years not just here. People will tend to come to forums for answers which is a good thing and can be helpful. I have also seen the same situation cause a mass outcry for recalls and heads on a platter. FYI, I have had issues with previous BMW's I have owned but my experience, as I stated, is that BMW (my dealership) has gone out of their way to fix my car and make it right. If an issue comes up with my f30, I will hold BMW's feet to the fire and they will fix it or replace it. If you do the research BMW has replaced at least 1 car I know of for steering vibration. In fact check Ebay (USA) there is an f30 on there now for sale which states in their description of the car that BMW bought the car back for steering vibration and it is now fixed from what the seller states. My point is simply, instead of looking for answers here bring the car back to BMW, keep documentation of all returns for fixes and successes or failures. If they do not fix it put the pressure on for a buy back. So, is it easy for me to say that? YES. because that is exactly what I would do with a car that I spent a large sum of money on. Good Luck and make them work for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #878
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Anyone in Charlotte had this problem? I have a very minor wobble want to see if I can get some advice from someone local or try driving each others cars to compare.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #879
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

BMW F30 Steering Wheel Vibration

I purchased and installed aftermarket wheels and A/S non RTF tires on a F30 335i xDrive last fall 2012. There were no noticeable issues related to steering wheel shake, vibration, or wobble. Actually the road feel during warm dry conditions was exceptional. It had the ultimate rock solid BMW planted suspension and steering feel. No complaints whatsoever and very please with the results.

Last week I decided to revert back to the OEM summer tires (Potenza S001 RTF and 400M 18" wheels). During the swap out, I noticed that the 18x8 Enkei Racing PF01 with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position had no gap between the back side of the mounted wheel and the disk it mounts on. The mounting seam line was almost blended together and virtually seamless.

When I mounted the OEM 400M wheels, I immediately noticed a 3-4 mm wide gap between the mounting seam that looked like something was wrong. Checking for possible problems, I check the other three wheels as I was mounting them to ensure everything was mounting correctly. No issues with the mounting or the wheels or the disk plates.

Upon completing the swap to OEM wheels, I noticed the steering wheel wobble during the first drive. It was visibly noticeable. I don't recall the steering wheel wobble when I first picked up the car from Munich. It was only after I swapped from OEM to A/S and back to OEM that it was noticeable.

So I took the car into an automotive service dealer to balance the wheels. When I went to pick up the car, the service advisor said there was a problem with the wheels. He asked if the wheels were aftermarket wheels. I informed him that it was OEM and that it came with the car from the factory. He stated that the 3-4 mm gap between the back of the wheel and the mounting plate was not right. He also stated that the bolts would only turn 4.5 turns to torque specs. His recommended minimum turns on the bolt was 6.5. He stated that with 4.5 turns on the bolt and with the mounting seams not being flush he thought it was a safety hazard. Oh and btw he stated that all four wheels were balanced true zero with no adjustments required. He didn't charge me anything.

The local BMW dealership was already closed by the time I picked up the car from the service dealer. But I definitely still have the steering wheel wobble. I will take the car into the BMW dealership next week to have it checked out and ask them about the mounting and the minimum recommended bolt turns.

I suspect going back to the aftermarket Enkei wheels will resolve the problem and it is my first inclination. But not until I can get some sort of response from BMW.

More to follow.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #880
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
I purchased and installed aftermarket wheels and A/S non RTF tires on a F30 335i xDrive last fall 2012. There were no noticeable issues related to steering wheel shake, vibration, or wobble. Actually the road feel during warm dry conditions was exceptional. It had the ultimate rock solid BMW planted suspension and steering feel. No complaints whatsoever and very please with the results.

Last week I decided to revert back to the OEM summer tires (Potenza S001 RTF and 400M 18" wheels). During the swap out, I noticed that the 18x8 Enkei Racing PF01 with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position had no gap between the back side of the mounted wheel and the disk it mounts on. The mounting seam line was almost blended together and virtually seamless.

When I mounted the OEM 400M wheels, I immediately noticed a 3-4 mm wide gap between the mounting seam that looked like something was wrong. Checking for possible problems, I check the other three wheels as I was mounting them to ensure everything was mounting correctly. No issues with the mounting or the wheels or the disk plates.

Upon completing the swap to OEM wheels, I noticed the steering wheel wobble during the first drive. It was visibly noticeable. I don't recall the steering wheel wobble when I first picked up the car from Munich. It was only after I swapped from OEM to A/S and back to OEM that it was noticeable.

So I took the car into an automotive service dealer to balance the wheels. When I went to pick up the car, the service advisor said there was a problem with the wheels. He asked if the wheels were aftermarket wheels. I informed him that it was OEM and that it came with the car from the factory. He stated that the 3-4 mm gap between the back of the wheel and the mounting plate was not right. He also stated that the bolts would only turn 4.5 turns to torque specs. His recommended minimum turns on the bolt was 6.5. He stated that with 4.5 turns on the bolt and with the mounting seams not being flush he thought it was a safety hazard. Oh and btw he stated that all four wheels were balanced true zero with no adjustments required. He didn't charge me anything.

The local BMW dealership was already closed by the time I picked up the car from the service dealer. But I definitely still have the steering wheel wobble. I will take the car into the BMW dealership next week to have it checked out and ask them about the mounting and the minimum recommended bolt turns.

I suspect going back to the aftermarket Enkei wheels will resolve the problem and it is my first inclination. But not until I can get some sort of response from BMW.

More to follow.
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here, but no OEM wheel would have a gap behind the wheel on mounting to the hub.

I do wonder if your aftermarket wheels have spigot rings and each one has stuck to the mounting hub (been left behind on the hub) preventing a proper fit.

If so get it sorted fast, before you mess/distort the wheels, or one comes loose.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0