F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 Issues and Impressions (F30)?
GetBMWParts

06-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #67
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
You're not supposed to install that connection unless you're using Stage 2. As far as people who may be doing it? Not sure but I'd go with what BMS recommends.
sort of.

You only should install it if you have the pneumatic solenoid. Early f30 builds did.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #68
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
sort of.

You only should install it if you have the pneumatic solenoid. Early f30 builds did.
Hmm, maybe I'm missing your point. (I have a Dec 2011 build with the pneumatic solenoid and never connected it with Stage 1 but use it now for Stage 2)

Stage 2 only works with those that have the pneumatic solenoid (because you actually have to make the connection).

Stage 1 doesn't use the connection. If you look at the stage 2 documentation on the website it says to remember to connect the solenoid when upgrading from 1>2.

For stage 1 you only make 2 connections (TMAP and MAP), for F30 you don't use the purple and blue connections per install video.

"To order a S1->S2 upgrade kit:
1) Verify your car has the pneumatic boost solenoid as shown below. This is required for Stage2."

"Here is a photo of what the pneumatic boost solenoid looks like. It's on the passenger side of the engine above the turbo. Most cars have this but a few use a different electronic design. The electronic version is not yet supported for Stage2."

"Stage1 install video. For Stage2, also connect blue solenoid wire, power, ground, and CAN wires, per PDF guide."

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #69
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Hmm, maybe I'm missing your point. (I have a Dec 2011 build with the pneumatic solenoid and never connected it with Stage 1 but use it now for Stage 2)

Stage 2 only works with those that have the pneumatic solenoid (because you actually have to make the connection).

Stage 1 doesn't use the connection. If you look at the stage 2 documentation on the website it says to remember to connect the solenoid when upgrading from 1>2.

For stage 1 you only make 2 connections (TMAP and MAP), for F30 you don't use the purple and blue connections per install video.

"To order a S1->S2 upgrade kit:
1) Verify your car has the pneumatic boost solenoid as shown below. This is required for Stage2."

"Here is a photo of what the pneumatic boost solenoid looks like. It's on the passenger side of the engine above the turbo. Most cars have this but a few use a different electronic design. The electronic version is not yet supported for Stage2."

"Stage1 install video. For Stage2, also connect blue solenoid wire, power, ground, and CAN wires, per PDF guide."

you can connect it if you have the pneumatic solenoid. I've asked Terry directly. They tell you not to in the video as it covers the majority of folks. Some have said connecting it results in more gains. Nothing confirmed though
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #70
M.Suka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
you can connect it if you have the pneumatic solenoid. I've asked Terry directly. They tell you not to in the video as it covers the majority of folks. Some have said connecting it results in more gains. Nothing confirmed though
Did a little research on this as well and the older DME's (Im guessing pre-November build because the PPK gets a new DME)get better performance with it plugged in, Also read that there will be a firmware that improves on those with stage 1 and solenoid hooked up.
      06-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #71
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Suka View Post
Did a little research on this as well and the older DME's (Im guessing pre-November build because the PPK gets a new DME)get better performance with it plugged in, Also read that there will be a firmware that improves on those with stage 1 and solenoid hooked up.
I haven't heard anything conclusive about it, so it could just be wishful thinking.

Also not sure if there will actually be a firmware update for Stage 1. They haven't been making them with the ability to connect to a laptop for the last few months (stage 2 can obviously, but they stopped that functionality with the stage 1 boards when stage 2 really started taking off - my stage 1 box has no usb connection ability while my stage 2 has it. I ordered the usb originally thinking I would be able to use it with stage 1 and was a bit disappointed but all is well as I ended up getting stage 2).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #72
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're right I saw the same thing, that he thought it was OK to connect, but I didn't get the feeling that it would yield any gains. Not sure though, I'm not sure I can really tell of gains between stage 1 and 2 in map 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #73
M.Suka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
I haven't heard anything conclusive about it, so it could just be wishful thinking.

Also not sure if there will actually be a firmware update for Stage 1. They haven't been making them with the ability to connect to a laptop for the last few months (stage 2 can obviously, but they stopped that functionality with the stage 1 boards when stage 2 really started taking off - my stage 1 box has no usb connection ability while my stage 2 has it. I ordered the usb originally thinking I would be able to use it with stage 1 and was a bit disappointed but all is well as I ended up getting stage 2).
My stage 1 box I picked up was from a 2012 535i and was one of the beta versions that was cross compatible between f30 and f10 since they use the same firmware and the box has the usb hook up on top of the box,

also I read a post by Terry saying they came out with a firmware update in March for the stage 1 crowd.
      06-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #74
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My stage 1 box I picked up was from a 2012 535i and was one of the beta versions that was cross compatible between f30 and f10 since they use the same firmware and the box has the usb hook up on top of the box,

also I read a post by Terry saying they came out with a firmware update in March for the stage 1 crowd.
I seem to remember that too. Right before I got my stage 1. Perhaps they did the update then removed the usb on future Stage 1's as mine didn't have it and I made the purchase right after that time.

I asked Terry why I didnt have the usb interface on my box and he said:

"The Stage1 was changed a few weeks ago so that no user adjustment can
be made. That will be reserved for Stage2. You can hang on to the USB
cable until then, or send it back if you prefer."

This was the end of March btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #75
mkhan526
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Has anyone figured out the reason for the hard start issues. I noticed this too once I upgraded to stage 2
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #76
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhan526 View Post
Has anyone figured out the reason for the hard start issues. I noticed this too once I upgraded to stage 2
Haven't had that issue with mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #77
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

No hard starts for me either. Try shooting Terry an email, he is quick to respond and should be of some help.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #78
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
I saw terry mention there could be some positive gains for those of us with pneumatic solenoids and pre-november builds. I have a pre-November build and my Stage 1 is arriving this week. I would definitely be interested in plugging it in if there were extra gains to be had.

but he also said back in January on N54tuning he'd start a thread about it including updated firmware info for the JB4 stage 1 to take advantage of the pneumatic solenoid, but I'm not sure if he ever did.

Last edited by verbs; 07-10-2013 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #79
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

I have had stage 1 for 6 months or so now, but recently took it off due to the hot temps here in Texas.

When it gets hot - 90-108F here lately - the car just does not feel right with the stage 1 on. Shifts are hard, acceleration is muffled and jerky.. hard to explain. Feels like it is running rich almost. Either way, it concerned me enough to take it off and the car drives fine stock.

I am guessing with the safeties built to lower boost with too cold or too hot oil temps, lower boost when taking off, etc., it may resolve those issues.

I have the sport line and will be getting the m-sport retro kit, m-performance suspension, and will decide if I am going to go stage 2 or get the PPK after that.

I will probably put stage 1 back on when it cools off some.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #80
mkhan526
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mathys View Post
No hard starts for me either. Try shooting Terry an email, he is quick to respond and should be of some help.
I did ask terry but he said he doesn't know why that would happen. I did notice that if I switch to map 0 via the volume buttons before starting then it cranks right up. It's only when trying to do a cold start on map 1 that it cranks for about 5 seconds before starting.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #81
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Oh wow, I'm not sure what to say, he has been really helpful and always had an answer when I sent him an email.

Have you tried starting in any other maps? No driving, just start up. Might give you an idea if. It's only map one or if it does it on other maps, could be the JB4 or possibly the connections.

Quote:
I did ask terry but he said he doesn't know why that would happen. I did notice that if I switch to map 0 via the volume buttons before starting then it cranks right up. It's only when trying to do a cold start on map 1 that it cranks for about 5 seconds before starting.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #82
mkhan526
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mathys View Post
Oh wow, I'm not sure what to say, he has been really helpful and always had an answer when I sent him an email.

Have you tried starting in any other maps? No driving, just start up. Might give you an idea if. It's only map one or if it does it on other maps, could be the JB4 or possibly the connections.

Terry has been extremely helpful but I guess he just doesn't have an answer on this. My car does start right up in map 0 with no issues. It's only on map 1 that it takes alittle longer
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #83
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inChargeOfIT View Post
I have had stage 1 for 6 months or so now, but recently took it off due to the hot temps here in Texas.

When it gets hot - 90-108F here lately - the car just does not feel right with the stage 1 on. Shifts are hard, acceleration is muffled and jerky.. hard to explain. Feels like it is running rich almost. Either way, it concerned me enough to take it off and the car drives fine stock.

I am guessing with the safeties built to lower boost with too cold or too hot oil temps, lower boost when taking off, etc., it may resolve those issues.

I have the sport line and will be getting the m-sport retro kit, m-performance suspension, and will decide if I am going to go stage 2 or get the PPK after that.

I will probably put stage 1 back on when it cools off some.

I installed stage 1 tonight, did test runs at 100 degrees outside, no issues, I have an Msport; maybe the extra cooling helps. .
Appreciate 0