F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Motor Trend - 2015 Best Driver's Car
proTUNING Freaks

10-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #45
t335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan Sprt Line ppk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
How are car mags bad a reviewing? That's what they do best. Just because you don't like their conclusions it doesn't mean they aren't accurate.
I don't care about their opinions they do a horrible job about comparing apples to apples on all fronts. comparing the s4 to a 335 rwd would be a good example. why wouldn't they compare it to a 335xi? Comparing cars with all season run flats to cars with sport summer tires. Saying something obtuse like a is350 is capable of performing (performance) anywhere near a 328 or 335 lol. your talking a silky smooth luxury sedan that goes 0-60 in 6 seconds if your lucky compared to a bmw that goes 0-60 in 5 seconds or better. I love the IS350 and had they a better engine and transmission I would buy that car for the interior being perfect but you know I like being able to merge onto the freeway. The list goes on. Its aggravating because I know they could do better and answer the questions that real consumers want to know.

Perhaps this is more a critique of modern journalistic standards being so low.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #46
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Well said. I miss road tests. Used to be in magazines they tested cars to help you make an intelligent choice. And they tested a few cars each month. Lighting laps truly mean nothing to most of us. Or top speed runs. How about driving the car on the streets like most people. Tell us what you find. Example the Cadillac ATS handled really well. As good as it was ,the transmission was a generation old and the CUE system stinks. Unlivable for me. And it seems to me the majority of the ATS owners look like they would be happy driving a 70's Coupe DeVille. Turn off.
As usual, Cadillac is trying hard to be all things to all people in the higher-end segment, but the brand just doesn't inspire anyone. Big luxury vehicles, with only their engines used in early Allard race cars in the 1950s. No history/legacy in sedan or sports car racing, and of course, it's a GM product, which I just don't want any part of. Again, to each their own, but from me, it's "no, thanks".
It's regrettable people don't consider product on merit alone, because Cadillac has made a ton of progress in that regard. That being said, purchases are often made on emotion, and that's where Cadillac (or any brand trying to reshape their image) will find to be the most difficult thing to reform: their reputation.

p.s. I for one would celebrate a competitive Cadillac product, and would have purchased an ATS (and considered a CTS V-Sport) if it weren't for a few packaging issues I wasn't willing to compromise on. They both ride on a superior chassis to their BMW equivalents. It only took 100 feet of blacktop and one right turn to realize that.
I agree the ATS chassis felt great. Problem is I can't buy a car that just has just one great attribute.
That being said I test drove it again and a 340 within an hour of each other. I have to say the 340 chassis is about equal handling wise now. Overall car for car, the Caddy falls way short now.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #47
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by t335xi View Post
I don't care about their opinions they do a horrible job about comparing apples to apples on all fronts. comparing the s4 to a 335 rwd would be a good example. why wouldn't they compare it to a 335xi? Comparing cars with all season run flats to cars with sport summer tires. Saying something obtuse like a is350 is capable of performing (performance) anywhere near a 328 or 335 lol. your talking a silky smooth luxury sedan that goes 0-60 in 6 seconds if your lucky compared to a bmw that goes 0-60 in 5 seconds or better. I love the IS350 and had they a better engine and transmission I would buy that car for the interior being perfect but you know I like being able to merge onto the freeway. The list goes on. Its aggravating because I know they could do better and answer the questions that real consumers want to know.

Perhaps this is more a critique of modern journalistic standards being so low.
The closest 3 series that competed against the S4 was the 335i. The xi would have fared worse. They wanted the sportiest version and that is the RWD car not the all wheel drive.

I think it's your own BMW favoritism that hurts your objectivity. The car rags are far more objective than you and I. They preferred the IS350 to the ATS and 335 because it had better steering and handling when pushed. The IS350 is far from slow.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #48
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by t335xi View Post
But a cheap no line 328 with a Dinan tune is a pretty sweet deal and you can get oem led hid coronas that match the lighting package after market for 1600 and bonus they change colors via bluetooth. If your an enthusiast your going to have to tear out the suspension on the f30 either way so there's no point in spending extra cash on it. Although I do hear the Shockware does a pretty good job fixing edc cars. Finally for another 900 you can replace the base sound system with bav sound which is an upgrade over hk anyway.

The only downside to ccheaping out is the lack of the cool sport seats with adjustable side bolsters.
In the situation you described, I would get an E46 or E90 M3 rather get an F30 328 and do the mods you suggested. Not sure what advantaged a modded F30 328 would give. I'd personally get sports suspension, change tires and drive the crap out a stock 328

Anyway, I was making a statement about "non enthusiast" owners
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #49
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Not a single BMW out of ten qualifiers (yet TWO Cadillacs, and three total from GM).

A different day indeed.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t_drivers_car/
I think it's great that American car companies are clearing out the cobwebs and making great cars again.

I'm on my 4th BMW because I like how the feel and drive just as I like Audi's as well. The way Germans design the driving position suits me very well.
The Japanese driving position is odd to me and I find I don't jibe with many of them.
American cars tend to be in the middle.
Once Cadillac gets the exterior design right and addresses some of their dash design, to not be so BUSY, I could easily go one of their cars IF it has the feel, handling, and drive I find in a BMW. Audi almost had me this time but I stuck with BMW. I didn't like the last couple of Jaguars I drove the quite awful X-Type and XK. The XK is a very nice looking car, but driver seating and control position doesn't work for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #50
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninong View Post
I don't know about recent history, but in the past Motor Trend was considered to have a bias in favor of domestic brands and a tendency to spread the love around among those brands (their major advertisers) whenever possible. My history with them goes back 60 years, so it may be different from most of you.
Through my own extensive car mag subscriptions and numerous hours counting ads compared to favorable articles, I concluded long ago that that "advertising gets better reviews" is hogwash.

And I stand by it.
You can do the research for yourself if you don't trust me, just be prepared to spend/waste a LOT of your time doing simple statistical work.
You don't even need to go beyond 1 year of mags, just make sure your sample includes 4 different US publications.

As for personal bias by certain writers, there's nothing wrong with that.
Everyone has a bias, and as long as they are true to their bias the reader will catch on to whether or not they respect certain writers even if they tend to not agree with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #51
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
As usual, Cadillac is trying hard to be all things to all people in the higher-end segment, but the brand just doesn't inspire anyone. Big luxury vehicles, with only their engines used in early Allard race cars in the 1950s. No history/legacy in sedan or sports car racing, and of course, it's a GM product, which I just don't want any part of. Again, to each their own, but from me, it's "no, thanks".
All things to all people is what BMW has been pursuing for the past few years.
This is why they seem to be bringing out some new model to fill some micro niche whenever a BMW exec gets some itch somewhere they need to scratch.

This is why the 3 series became too soft and lost a lot of it's sport sedan shine among auto reviewers and BMW driving fans alike.
Much of the negatives that auto writers have been saying about the F30 are true. And, those of us on this site who like BMW cars, and not just the brand/logo, know it.

I wanted out of my 2013 335i Msport after a year with it and I looked into an early lease return to see about getting an M235i.
But, I'm now happy I waited because BMW was listening and reading to the pro reviewers and enthusiasts.
The LCI 340i is a much improved 3 series and I am very much enjoying my 340i Msport.
The changes BMW made are not just typical marketing wishful thinking.
The changes have nicely and greatly improved the 3 series.

Now, I do hope that the pro reviewers who reviewed the pre LCI 3 series will now review the LCI. Still, it's up to BMW to send the properly equipped cars to the reviewers. In the initial F30 maiden voyage there were way too many reviewers getting base or lux-line 3 series, as BMW was seemingly so happy to show of it's new found softness.
I'm glad that's over, but the first impression remains in the general view.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #52
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
The closest 3 series that competed against the S4 was the 335i. The xi would have fared worse. They wanted the sportiest version and that is the RWD car not the all wheel drive.

I think it's your own BMW favoritism that hurts your objectivity. The car rags are far more objective than you and I. They preferred the IS350 to the ATS and 335 because it had better steering and handling when pushed. The IS350 is far from slow.
Quite accurate on the S4 vs 335i or 335xi.

Many of our members are still "fans" more so that "auto enthusiasts".
For Audi and their design ideology AWD is what gives their cars the greater level of performance they seek to create.
With BMW's ideology RWD is what gives their cars that higher level of performance.

For the xdrive to be more competitive BMW would need to include a proper sport suspension, meaning it needs to lower than standard to lower the center of gravity to help handling just as it does on the RWD versions.
I don't know why BMW doesn't offer that.
Even if it results in a better performing 3 series, then great, we enthusiasts would have more choices.
RWD feels and handles differently compared to FWD or AWD.
I think BMW knows what set up best suits it's higher performance level variant. BMW could make an AWD to match or best Audi, but it's not really their "thing".
Appreciate 0