F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > This BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe Reveals Its Interior, with iDrive Touch System
ARMA SPEED

11-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb This BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe Reveals Its Interior, with iDrive Touch System

BIMMERPOST NEWS
This BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe Reveals Its Interior, with iDrive Touch System
COMMENTS
Name:  DSC_0001.JPG
Views: 109731
Size:  345.5 KB

Our latest spy photos of the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe (F36) may not reveal anything new for the exterior [see past spy photos], but this is the first look at the F36's interior.

And it looks just like the F30 3 Series interior. But, what's new is the presence of the iDrive Touch controller. This comes as no surprise as BMW has already announced details for a touch sensitive iDrive controller knob and it's been previously seen on the 2014 BMW X5 (F15) prototype. The iDrive Touch system will debut with the next X5 in Fall 2013 as that comes before the 4 Series Gran Coupe's expected debut in 2014.

Here is some official information on the upcoming iDrive Touch system and a video demonstration.

BMW iDrive Touch Controller System

BMW iDrive Touch Controller – fingertip control at its finest.

The introduction of the BMW iDrive Touch sees the development team at the BMW Group integrating a touch-sensitive pad into the iDrive system’s central control unit, the iDrive Controller, for the very first time. Measuring 45 mm across, the multi-touch surface makes certain in-vehicle control functions more intuitive, faster and easier to use.

Incorporating the touchpad into the iDrive Controller means it is ergonomically positioned where it is easy to reach: with entry, selection and confirmation being performed in the usual way using the control knob’s rotate-and-press mechanism, the direct proximity to the touchpad means there is no need for any fumbling around.

The touch surface will initially be made available for the Chinese market from July 2012 and will add various convenience-enhancing functions to the iDrive Controller, including handwriting recognition as well as navigating in maps. One year later, availability of the iDrive Touch and these new functions will be extended to almost all other markets. At this point, a function for surfing the internet is also due to be added, which will allow the mouse pointer to be controlled in exactly the same way as on many handheld devices.

Handwriting recognition.

The handwriting recognition function enables characters to be entered with the finger by simply “writing” them on the surface of the touchpad. Whereas previously this could only be done with the “Speller” – a circular arrangement of letters in the display – by turning the control knob, the touch-sensitive surface now recognises the letters and the Speller instantly jumps to the right point of the alphabet. To further reduce driver distraction, a voice output repeats the character that has been recognised.

The handwriting recognition function is a tremendous boon for the Chinese market especially, which is why the BMW iDrive Touch Controller is making its debut there. With several thousand characters and as many as 21 strokes per character, entering text is a far more complex task than with the Latin alphabet. The reason the iDrive Touch Controller is of such great benefit in China is that the sequence of strokes for starting Chinese characters is basically set in stone, meaning that the selection of characters is already narrowed down considerably with the very first stroke entered by the driver. The choice is further refined with each additional stroke, allowing rapid selection of the relevant character.

Map navigation.

Apart from recognising handwriting, the iDrive Touch also makes it possible to navigate freely within the route map shown in the display and zoom in on it, too. The scale is changed using the two-finger pinch gesture already familiar from many laptops und smartphones. If there is a traffic jam ahead, for example, the driver can adjust the scale of the displayed portion of map using the touchpad, move the view to the hold-up and take a look at the suggested alternative route. The driver can also use touch control to mark the points of interest (POIs) stored in the map, then press the control knob to confirm his choice and display more detailed information. The later version of the iDrive Touch will furthermore allow the mouse pointer to be moved across the display while surfing the internet, just like on a home PC. Pressing the iDrive Controller will then have the same effect as clicking with the mouse.

BMW iDrive Touch Controller

The 4 Series Gran Coupe will be positioned and priced in the 3/4 Series lineup just as the 6 Series Gran Coupe is positioned in the 5/6 Series lineup (in between the coupe and convertible models). [See our recent article previewing the future 4 Series / M4 lineup].

Like the 6 Series Gran Coupe, the 4 Series Gran Coupe combines the convenience of 4 doors (and larger rear passenger cabin) with the sleek roofline and silhouette of a coupe. It will share the upcoming 4 Series Coupe (F32)'s overall styling, just as the 6 Series Gran Coupe shares with its coupe counterpart. It will also share the same engine offerings as the 4 Series coupe and convertible.

With the 4 Series Gran Coupe as an addition, here is a summary of the upcoming 3 Series / 4 Series lineup:
  • F30 3 Series Sedan
  • F31 3 Series Touring
  • F32 4 Series Coupe
  • F33 4 Series Convertible
  • F34 3 Series (GT) Gran Touring
  • F35 3 Series Long Wheelbase (China only)
  • F36 4 Series Gran Coupe
Just as the 6 Series Gran Coupe has spawned the M6 Gran Coupe, so it would come as no shock to see an eventual M4 Gran Coupe as well.

Expect the 4 Series Gran Coupe to hit the market sometime in 2014 to compete with the Audi A5 Sportback.

Name:  DSC_0001.JPG
Views: 109731
Size:  345.5 KB

Name:  DSC_5749.JPG
Views: 47681
Size:  347.1 KB

Name:  DSC_5750.JPG
Views: 44955
Size:  382.8 KB

Name:  DSC_5732.JPG
Views: 47352
Size:  380.4 KB

Name:  DSC_5732a.jpg
Views: 29544
Size:  263.0 KB

First 4 Series Gran Coupe Video - from 10/12/12

Recent 4 Series Gran Coupe render

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

I don't even see the point of having an F30 out and this 😳 they are just going to cannibalize each others sales
      11-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
chriscecc914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3
I don't even see the point of having an F30 out and this 😳 they are just going to cannibalize each others sales
It's the same relation and business plan as the 6 Series Gran Coupe to the 5 series sedan. So if the 6GC and the 5 series sedan both sell well, then the 4GC and 3 series sedan should do the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Even with the camo, the overall shape is too similar to the F30 3-Series even with the coupe-like slanting rear. If it had a different interior, it could be somewhat justified but it's just not different enough. I wonder what the price is going to be. I can't imagine how BMW could price it higher than 3-Series because what would you really be paying for? Just the coupe-like style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscecc914 View Post
It's the same relation and business plan as the 6 Series Gran Coupe to the 5 series sedan. So if the 6GC and the 5 series sedan both sell well, then the 4GC and 3 series sedan should do the same.
There are huge/noticeable differences between the 5-Series and 6-Series - namely the exterior and interior. The 4-Series will obviously have it's small differences on the exterior but it still looks very close to a 3-Series and the interior from the spy pic above is the pretty much the same interior found in the F30. When you look at a 5-Series, you're not going to say, "hey that looks like the 6-Series" and vice versa.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 11-29-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
chriscecc914
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90
Even with the camo, the overall shape is too similar to the F30 3-Series even with the coupe-like slanting rear. If it had a different interior, it could be somewhat justified but it's just not different enough. I wonder what the price is going to be. I can't imagine how BMW could price it higher than 3-Series because what would you really be paying for? Just the coupe-like style?

Quote:
There are huge/noticeable differences between the 5-Series and 6-Series - namely the exterior and interior. The 4-Series will obviously have it's small differences on the exterior but it still looks very close to a 3-Series and the interior from the spy pic above is the pretty much the same interior found in the F30.
I don't think you can make these comparisons without having seen the full 4 series coupe or gran coupe. The front and rear bumpers could end up being as different from the 3 series as the 6 series is from the 5 series. Fact is we don't know for sure yet. All we have are renders. Well renders tend to follow what we already know so of course they tend to make the 4 series bumper and rear look like the 3 series.

As for the interior, the 6 series shares the same awesome interior as the 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
BMWFreaky
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post

There are huge/noticeable differences between the 5-Series and 6-Series - namely the exterior and interior. The 4-Series will obviously have it's small differences on the exterior but it still looks very close to a 3-Series and the interior from the spy pic above is the pretty much the same interior found in the F30. When you look at a 5-Series, you're not going to say, "hey that looks like the 6-Series" and vice versa.
totally agree! this interior is disappointing

Last edited by BMWFreaky; 11-29-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
TheOne
BROKER
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 F82 M4 Competition BSM

Never thought about Chinese speaking people having to go through all those characters on their iDrive !! That's nuts :-)

What has been available on iPhones for a long time is coming to the BMWs of the future ;-)
Awesome! ;-)

BMW needs to move a bit faster on the high tech equipments on the dash.....

Not that I'm complaining, for me the exhaust note, handling and the engine performance suffice

But #justsaying

Retired : '05 E46 330ci ZHP Sparkling Graphite on Blk | '08 E92 335 Blk on Coral Red | '11 E92 335is Blk on Blk | '15 F82 ///M4 MG on SO
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

I'm expecting the 4GC to cost something like US$59,070 starting msrp
      11-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

I hate the cup holders in the f30 and f31. I was hoping for a more premium feel for the coupe and gran coupe. I blame you America for this abomination!! I'm totally fine with the discreet cup holders in my e92. They are there when I need them for human sized drinks, and out of sight the other 99.9% of the time I'm in the car. The lower console gap looks like an economy car made for the US market and its 1 liter "small" size drinks!

Hopefully still a prototype!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think you can make these comparisons without having seen the full 4 series coupe or gran coupe. The front and rear bumpers could end up being as different from the 3 series as the 6 series is from the 5 series. Fact is we don't know for sure yet. All we have are renders. Well renders tend to follow what we already know so of course they tend to make the 4 series bumper and rear look like the 3 series.

As for the interior, the 6 series shares the same awesome interior as the 5 series.
Look again. They might have similar hardware but you compare them side-by-side, it's different (especially the curving piece that cuts into the shifter area, separating driver from passenger). Then take a look at the 4-Series and 3-Series interior, much more similar and probably almost the same.

Yes you're right, the camo still leaves us unsure of what it will look like but I really don't think it's going to be the big change like the 5-Series and with the 6-Series. The 4-Series is just a 3-Series and I don't think (at least not yet) anyone is really separating the two like they are with the F10 and F12.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

Idiots, just make 3 series sedan and coupe (M3sedan and M3 coupe - not M4) and make 4 series as grand coupe. Its to confusing at the moment. Waiting for X2, X4, X7-crazy

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Yes you're right, the camo still leaves us unsure of what it will look like but I really don't think it's going to be the big change like the 5-Series and with the 6-Series. The 4-Series is just a 3-Series and I don't think (at least not yet) anyone is really separating the two like they are with the F10 and F12.
I think you may be surprised... and soon.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
Idiots, just make 3 series sedan and coupe (M3sedan and M3 coupe - not M4) and make 4 series as grand coupe. Its to confusing at the moment. Waiting for X2, X4, X7-crazy
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

The 4 GC looks like it will come in close to the price of a 5.
      11-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Hey Jason I hope so! Right now everyone is pretty much underwhelmed at this point with the whole 4-Series idea, myself included so if BMW can pull a rabbit out the hat...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
I hate the cup holders in the f30 and f31. I was hoping for a more premium feel for the coupe and gran coupe. I blame you America for this abomination!! I'm totally fine with the discreet cup holders in my e92. They are there when I need them for human sized drinks, and out of sight the other 99.9% of the time I'm in the car. The lower console gap looks like an economy car made for the US market and its 1 liter "small" size drinks!

Hopefully still a prototype!
I agree! Makes it look so cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
I'm expecting the 4GC to cost something like US$59,070 starting msrp
doubt it will sell for that much.

baby 3er coupe is now 37K, so the F32 should be at about 38.5K and the GC perhaps would start at 40K
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Quote:
Hopefully
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Thats disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
cavargas
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
NO they don't, 6 series interior is way nicer. I don't see the point of 4 series GC if it doesn't have a distinctive interior. IMO, F30's interior is not what a car in this price point should have in terms of finish/fitting and feel. Was a big let down when I first saw it, it feels cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
jrob
Bimmer God
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

I personally just think BMW is creating far too many variants that they are going to eat into each other's sales. I mean we will have a 1 series hatchback/GT, 2 series coupe/vert and possibly sedan, 3 series sedan, 4 series coupe/gran coupe/GT, and then just repeat all that again for the 5, 6, and 7 series and the SAV's are sure to follow suit! Why not just make a handful of distinct cars well and give us more options to customize them instead of useless lines!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
chriscecc914
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob
I personally just think BMW is creating far too many variants that they are going to eat into each other's sales.
From BMW's perspective that's not a bad thing as long as overall sales are higher. They would have done a proper job in capturing more niches, which is what they seem to be going for.
Appreciate 0