F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New Tires - 1 notch below ultra high performance?
GetBMWParts

02-06-2024, 12:23 PM   #1
BaconDouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 F34 340i xDrive GranTurismo

New Tires - 1 notch below ultra high performance?

I have a 340GT and looking for the best combination of handling and ride comfort as this is my family car.

I currently have the OEM 19" wheels with the OEM run flat Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/45/19s. They look the business but the ride comfort after 4 years and 2 blowouts later is something to be desired in my part of the world with lots of poorly maintained roads.

I wanted to "downsize" and recently got a set of 18" 400Ms from a forum member and I plan to refinish them and get a new set of TPMS/tires. I always thought I'd just get Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires or the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus as they get great reviews here as the "default" sports tire.

I'm curious as to the difference a tire that is "1 notch" below these tires would fare in terms of ride comfort, without going all the way back to a Grand Touring tire such as what I am used to now.

Does anyone have experience with a "more comfortable" Ultra Performance All Season tire or even category lower High Performance All Season tire?

I am not going to track my car or do any sorts or racing, but I also don't want to be driving on marshmallow handling tires either!

So to summarize my plan:
1. downsize from 19" to 18" for more comfort (and less unsprung weight)
2. choose a tire that is not a run-flat
3. increase width of tire from 225/45 to 245/45 for more sidewall
4. possibly use a High-Performance category tire instead of a Ultra-High Performance tire.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:26 AM   #2
jmanB45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330iX Sedan

Garage List
Want to comment on the Conti DWS06+ that I bought last year, they are way more comfortable than I expected.

Also, 245/45 is a significant difference in sidewall over 225/45, consider going for 235/45 instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:59 AM   #3
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
dws06+ is beloved by many. However they are definitely not a sport tire and not meant to compete with them.

I highly recommend looking at tire-reviews.com to make an informed decision and choose what suits you best.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 08:40 AM   #4
BaconDouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 F34 340i xDrive GranTurismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
dws06+ is beloved by many. However they are definitely not a sport tire and not meant to compete with them.

I highly recommend looking at tire-reviews.com to make an informed decision and choose what suits you best.
Thanks for the information about tire-reviews.com, I'll check it out.

When you say the DWS 06+ is not a sport tire, it is classified by Tire Rack as an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire, the same as Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+, etc.

Isn't this the top category outside of race tires? I'm not looking for a summer only tire due to my geography.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 09:03 AM   #5
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
ahhh I see what you mean. Categories are a bit confusing when it comes to tires. So to my understanding, yes the tires you listed are UHP all-season tires so it's the top of the line when it comes to all-season. When people mention sport tires my first thought is UHP summers since sport tires isn't a real category.

In that case I would definitely stick with one of those UHP all-season tires that you mentioned. However you should still be very careful with below freezing temps and snow since grip is still drastically reduced.

Apologies for jumping the gun earlier on my first post though.

Here's tire racks rating charts, definitely worth looking at those new projections and seeing if they're any good. I've never heard of the vredestein's either but they seem to be performing amazingly. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...=true&filter=y

I wish you the best in your journey through the tire rabbit hole!
Appreciate 0