F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Enthusiast friendly insurance company
Extreme Powerhouse

12-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

I'm all about full disclosure in fear of a liability issue if ever that worst case scenario occurred.

Called my insurance company to arrange the sale of my existing car and the purchase of the new car. As usual they ask if there are performance modifications (engine or transmission). I disclose that I may install the M Performance suspension since my car did not have the factory sports suspension.

The underwriter said they will no longer cover my vehicle if I make said changes. Even stating it will be installed by the dealer, is an option that could have been delivered as a new vehicle and only make my car safer. Nope....I renewed stating they will loose my business in the near future once I find a mod friendly insurance company. 13+ years of relationship gone like that.

so which ones do you guys use? or do you not disclose mods and roll the dice that you may be void if that unexpected day arrives and you claim a big one.

are all insurance companies setting up clients to be able to void policies if you do not disclose or disclose too much information?

Last edited by focal; 12-20-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
mrunner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

I'm not sure changing your suspension qualifies as a modification. It already has a suspension, you are just changing it for another one. And one that comes from BMW, installed by BMW, you will still have a BMW. It's probably not even considered after market since you can get it off the dealer lot new with that same suspension.

As soon as you mention modifications to insurance, especially something called M sport, they automatically think you will race it on the street.

Look up the car modification laws for Ontario. We have a code to be followed in Quebec. It would stipulate such things as how much it can be lowered, or lifted for lets say a 4x4, exhaust noise level, tire sizes, mud flaps etc.... If you are legal, how can they refuse you insurance. They are just trying to scare you and trying to lessen their risk...because they just don't know if you'll be a crazed street racer. And yes it is dumb that if you bought that car with that suspenion already, you'd be a fine upstanding citizen driving a BMW, add it after your purchace and now you are a menace to society.

A modification is adding a turbo to a car that didn't oringinally have one for example.

What are you to do if your shocks leak, brakes wear down, tire gets a flat. You wouldn't be able to change it?

May not be the same in Ontario, but in Quebec if I understand the law properly, your existing insurance company can't stop insuring you. Legally you need insurance, and they took the initial risk of wanting to insure you. Another company might refuse you. The existing company may jack up your rate way high on renewal or not insure your new parts in a loss.

I'm for disclosure too. I asked my insurance company if I would still be covered if I installed a steel winch bumber and winch on one of my 4x4s. Once I finally talked to someone who even knew what those were, it was fine. I wouldn't lose my insurance, I would still be covered. I needed to keep my bills. For them it was the same thing as changing my mags or adding tints. In a collision or theft, they may or may not be covered.

Another of my 4x4s is so far from stock that only the frame and front axle housing are original. I'm insured for liability. But I would want to have it be covered for theft or collision lets say I would need to get it evaluated so they know how much replacement would be.

So, I don't think you even need to say anything about your new suspension. As long as you are willing to take a possible loss on it. Remember the car already came with a suspension. You are replacing it, not adding additional. So if the oringinal suspension lets say cost 2000$, and another sportier one cost 3000$, you didn't really add 3000$ to the car, you added 1000$ and you made yourself spare parts.

Also insurance companies sometimes refuse because you don't fall into a check box on their screen after you have added something to your car not even because you will be a liability.
Appreciate 0