F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > My new favorite Mercedes dash cam video
Extreme Powerhouse

04-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #67
jeff@autocouture
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

I have hundreds of these types of stories from my days at the dealership.

Setting an expectation with the customer is crucial to making a solid connection between confidence and trust levels with their property.

Setting a standard with your techs to not treat other peoples property except with the respect and care that it deserves is also another important point.

However these guys are not robots...

Cursing? they don't know they are being watched via a camera and spoke to each other as some colleagues and friends do.

Cracked rim? he took the turn at what seemed to be a normal turning speed. I doubt that was what damaged the wheel. Also makes me believe this video is even on the internet because the customer damaged the wheel him/herself and had video with sub par service thinking the dealer would accept blame about the wheel.

Getting iced cream? I wouldn't care if they did in my car. HOWEVER, it is not my car and i wouldn't expect a customer to just be ok with their property being used for personal trips to wendy's by the technicians. I don't believe, even though its pretty harmless, that that is ok to do.

Lastly, The service if not performed should be rectified immediately. there is no excuse for saying a service was performed if it wasnt.
Appreciate 1
jmg18703.50
      04-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #68
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

20’ amg wheels can definitely get damage on a curb like that. There are times of course when it wouldn’t happen but with 4600 pound car on 20’ wheels you be at a certain angle at any more then a crawl and wheel is cracked. I’d never enter a driveway like that with 20’.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #69
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
I have hundreds of these types of stories from my days at the dealership.

Setting an expectation with the customer is crucial to making a solid connection between confidence and trust levels with their property.

Setting a standard with your techs to not treat other peoples property except with the respect and care that it deserves is also another important point.

However these guys are not robots...

Cursing? they don't know they are being watched via a camera and spoke to each other as some colleagues and friends do.

Cracked rim? he took the turn at what seemed to be a normal turning speed. I doubt that was what damaged the wheel. Also makes me believe this video is even on the internet because the customer damaged the wheel him/herself and had video with sub par service thinking the dealer would accept blame about the wheel.

Getting iced cream? I wouldn't care if they did in my car. HOWEVER, it is not my car and i wouldn't expect a customer to just be ok with their property being used for personal trips to wendy's by the technicians. I don't believe, even though its pretty harmless, that that is ok to do.

Lastly, The service if not performed should be rectified immediately. there is no excuse for saying a service was performed if it wasnt.
Feels like pretty light criticism to me. The owner of the car was defrauded. Your solution? Promptly do the work. My solution? Take responsibility, own the problem, fire the guys who committed the fraud and have the dealership put checks into effect that don't make cheating the customer such a casually easy thing to do.

As I previously observed (as did some others), the tone of the dealership is established at the top. While I couldn't tell from the YouTube site that I visited if the dealership ever made amends, clearly there needs to be management acceptance of responsibility. It didn't seem like that was happening.

As for the damaged wheel -- who really knows? Did the mechanic drive the car over the kerb? Is that something you wouldn't mind having some yobbos do to your car?
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #70
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Quote:
The video's author did bring it up to the dealer. Did you not watch the video?

The same reason you posted your post. To interact.
I did watch the video. I just don't see the need to post it on youtube in what can only be an attempt to publicly shame the dealership for no good reason. This is exactly whats wrong with social media. I don't really consider this forum a social media platform the way twitter, facebook and youtube are and even if that comparison could be made I don't see the need for all the public shaming for trivial things on social media.
People should be held accountable for their actions. Exposure could deter further negligence.
You should watch a couple of black mirror episodes and you might change your tune about always on social media and privacy.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #71
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Quote:
The video's author did bring it up to the dealer. Did you not watch the video?

The same reason you posted your post. To interact.
I did watch the video. I just don't see the need to post it on youtube in what can only be an attempt to publicly shame the dealership for no good reason. This is exactly whats wrong with social media. I don't really consider this forum a social media platform the way twitter, facebook and youtube are and even if that comparison could be made I don't see the need for all the public shaming for trivial things on social media.
People should be held accountable for their actions. Exposure could deter further negligence.
You should watch a couple of black mirror episodes and you might change your tune about always on social media and privacy.
I watch Black Mirror. This video obscures their identities.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #72
jeff@autocouture
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
Feels like pretty light criticism to me. The owner of the car was defrauded. Your solution? Promptly do the work. My solution? Take responsibility, own the problem, fire the guys who committed the fraud and have the dealership put checks into effect that don't make cheating the customer such a casually easy thing to do.

As I previously observed (as did some others), the tone of the dealership is established at the top. While I couldn't tell from the YouTube site that I visited if the dealership ever made amends, clearly there needs to be management acceptance of responsibility. It didn't seem like that was happening.

As for the damaged wheel -- who really knows? Did the mechanic drive the car over the kerb? Is that something you wouldn't mind having some yobbos do to your car?
to be honest you are right, it is light criticism. My response was to rectify the situation with the lack of service performed. If we fired every single technician, or better yet, every single employee who has at one point not done their current job at hand and made an excuse for it i would say the unemployment rate would skyrocket in this country. That is accountants who don't properly analyze each number with an appropriate amount of time, every doctor who just scanned briefly over a med history and check sheet for a patient, for a lawyer who didn't go over each detail of the case. See what i'm getting at? I'm still not defending the technician, he had a job and didn't perform it, however i think your response is way too harsh. The second part of your first response is spot on, putting checks into effect to limit or eliminate these things from happening was the first job i tasked myself at when i first became a parts and service director back in the day. The next step like i mentioned was setting a standard expectation level that is the professional level i had myself at. Lastly, ensure that the execution of the first two stays at a high percentage rate.

The second part you touched upon makes me feel like you have not worked in a service department at a dealership, a kitchen in a restaurant or in the customer service workplace before. I mean no offense to that statement, i just know based off first hand experience that these workplace environments, like what i saw in the video are a common setting.

Lastly, No, i have no proof that the turn into the dealership parking lot, at which seemed to be a normal turning speed caused or didn't cause the cracked rim. However, maybe since that was one of the commonly used entrances for that dealership, multiple mercedes with equivalent sized wheels using that entrance, maybe each time someone does use that entrance they crack one of the fancy AMG wheels. Maybe the dealership needs to remove the heightened curb there to make sure this doesn't happen. I didn't see anything wrong with the way the car was driven past the use of a personal food run.

I wouldn't say i'm right and you're wrong, its simply opinion. I hope no offense is taken as i mean none by it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #73
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
"Not doing one's current job" and "defrauding a customer" are two different things. Most of us who have not worked for an automobile dealership understand the difference.

These technicians were crooks and liars. Their dishonesty got their dealership into (at least) PR hot water.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #74
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
I wouldn't want anyone from a dealership driving around picking up frosty's in my car. Idiots.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #75
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Funny, this video was on the local breakfast news show today in Toronto. The hosts were debating whether or not it was a big deal. This may have been mentioned in this thread already, but apparently this happened in 2015 and the dealer already dealt with the individuals involved. Crazy it is getting around so much now given how little actually happened - IMO anyway.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #76
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Well, I showed Mercedes right away after it happened but they said they can’t do much maybe redo the service. I said I want bigger action to be taken. They said ok go deal with your lawyers. So for almost 1.5 years my lawyers were messaging and sending demand letter to mb CANADA without any replies

My lawyers also told me not to share the video anywhere until we hear back from Mercedes because if we share the video there’s not much to negotiate so I held onto the video and then after two years when I realize they are not replying or even interested I just decided to post it to raise awareness.

https://jalopnik.com/canadian-merced...g-c-1825054515
Appreciate 1