F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328d Swirl Flap Question
Studio RSR

02-02-2024, 03:28 PM   #1
ddubs
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

Garage List
328d Swirl Flap Question

Hello,

I have a 2014 328d X-Drive. I am in the process of doing a thorough cleaning of the intake manifold, amongst other things, and I was considering deleting the swirl flaps since I'm already inside the engine.

My question is, I'm not sure which plug to buy as there seems to be two; one large, one small.

small:
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....1-engines.html

large:
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....elete-kit.html

I've check various VIN decoders and realOEM and no 2 answers are the same. One will say it's an N47, another will say N47N, another says N47D20O1 and another says N47ST (or something like that ... there was an "S" in it).

The last 7 of my VIN are: KX99753

Can anyone point me in the right direction of which plug is the correct one?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 12:46 PM   #2
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
I would guess the small "N47N / N47S1" one. The 328d moniker is unique to North America and equivalent to a 320d in the European market.
      02-05-2024, 03:08 PM   #3
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubs View Post
Hello,

I have a 2014 328d X-Drive. I am in the process of doing a thorough cleaning of the intake manifold, amongst other things, and I was considering deleting the swirl flaps since I'm already inside the engine.

My question is, I'm not sure which plug to buy as there seems to be two; one large, one small.

small:
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....1-engines.html

large:
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....elete-kit.html

I've check various VIN decoders and realOEM and no 2 answers are the same. One will say it's an N47, another will say N47N, another says N47D20O1 and another says N47ST (or something like that ... there was an "S" in it).

The last 7 of my VIN are: KX99753

Can anyone point me in the right direction of which plug is the correct one?

Thanks!
Keep us updated on how this goes please. Haven't heard much about swirl flaps on the 328d's.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:41 PM   #4
Pepi
Rep
Drives: 328d, 540iT, 328i, 750iL

Unless you are going for maximum power I think removing them would be a detriment for a daily driver. I haven't heard of the swirl flaps being a system that commonly fails on the N47's.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:47 PM   #5
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi View Post
Unless you are going for maximum power I think removing them would be a detriment for a daily driver. I haven't heard of the swirl flaps being a system that commonly fails on the N47's.
Why a detriment? Just curious on your thoughts/experience
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 05:24 PM   #6
Pepi
Rep
Drives: 328d, 540iT, 328i, 750iL

From my understanding (I haven't done it) is that they really aren't a restriction unless you're building your motor for power, yet they improve torque in the lower RPM's and improve drivability in DD'ing duty. I know that they have caused issues and engine failure in older chassis' but AFAIK are not a known failure in the N47's, so why remove them?

Hopefully some of the N47 vets will chime in. You could always proceed and let us know your impressions
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 07:03 PM   #7
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi View Post
From my understanding (I haven't done it) is that they really aren't a restriction unless you're building your motor for power, yet they improve torque in the lower RPM's and improve drivability in DD'ing duty. I know that they have caused issues and engine failure in older chassis' but AFAIK are not a known failure in the N47's, so why remove them?

Hopefully some of the N47 vets will chime in. You could always proceed and let us know your impressions
Makes sense, was curious on your feedback. I am having some low RPM drivability issues currently. Need to stamp those out first before I go doing some tests. Hopefully the OP chimes back in with feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:32 AM   #8
bmwPower99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw f25 X3 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Makes sense, was curious on your feedback. I am having some low RPM drivability issues currently. Need to stamp those out first before I go doing some tests. Hopefully the OP chimes back in with feedback.
Low rpm issues in my experience are fairly likely intake/Egr clogged or unmetered air .
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:05 PM   #9
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwPower99 View Post
Low rpm issues in my experience are fairly likely intake/Egr clogged or unmetered air .
I believe its unmetered air. Digging into her this weekend. Will keep all updated. Have you seen any common areas I should check?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:48 PM   #10
bmwPower99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw f25 X3 35d

Quote:
I believe its unmetered air. Digging into her this weekend. Will keep all updated. Have you seen any common areas I should check?
Check the vacume lines. Also there is a test in Ista for intake manifold pressure. The manifold is known to melt due to the Egr/cooler issue. This happened to me and BMW replaced the manifold as part of the recall.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 12:30 AM   #11
ddubs
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Keep us updated on how this goes please. Haven't heard much about swirl flaps on the 328d's.
I will.

At present, I have a Malone Stage 2 with dynamic EGR, xHP stage 2 installed and an aFe cold air intake in the garage.

The swirl flap delete kit, EGR delete kit with SCR coolant block offs and oil catch can are on order.

I'm shopping around for a decently priced rawtek DPF/DEF/SCR exhaust kit, but the prices are a little high. Hoping for a spring sale (or even a valentines day sale).

I've already updated all the software with E-Sys, changed the VO coding from 205 trans to 2TB trans and coded sport+ with launch control and added the 2024 NA maps just because.

I bought a rear fog light button for the headlight switch just for good measure.

When I get all the hardware, I'm going to thoroughly clean/de-carbon the engine and I'll record and picture the whole re/de-assembly process. (quality not guaranteed lol).

I'll be removing the passive and active adblue tanks while I'm under the car, as well.

This should be a fun little side project

Last edited by ddubs; 02-09-2024 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 11:48 AM   #12
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I will.

At present, I have a Malone Stage 2 with dynamic EGR, xHP stage 2 installed and an aFe cold air intake in the garage.

The swirl flap delete kit, EGR delete kit with SCR coolant block offs and oil catch can are on order.

I'm shopping around for a decently priced rawtek DPF/DEF/SCR exhaust kit, but the prices are a little high. Hoping for a spring sale (or even a valentines day sale).

I've already updated all the software with E-Sys, changed the VO coding from 205 trans to 2TB trans and coded sport+ with launch control and added the 2024 NA maps just because.

I bought a rear fog light button for the headlight switch just for good measure.

When I get all the hardware, I'm going to thoroughly clean/de-carbon the engine and I'll record and picture the whole re/de-assembly process. (quality not guaranteed lol).

I'll be removing the passive and active adblue tanks while I'm under the car, as well.

Careful with the catch can. Folks have shared that they really dont catch much on the 328ds and they have the potential to create backpressure issues...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 02:09 AM   #13
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
I will.

As per the above comments, swirl flaps are not a widely reported problem on this engine and removing them may actually cause more problems than benefits.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 02:12 AM   #14
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Careful with the catch can. Folks have shared that they really dont catch much on the 328ds and they have the potential to create backpressure issues...
This.

From personal experience a catch can is almost a total waste of time, money, and effort. They catch very little oil, collect mostly water condensate through the cold months, and they can cause back pressure. I strongly suspect the catch can that I installed on my N57 30d was a root cause of premature failure of the turbo.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:21 PM   #15
barf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

Catch can is absolutely useless for this application.
Anyway deleting swirl flaps is fine, you wont notice any performance issues regarding this and mostly the issues are related to clogged manifold.
The swirl flap plug is different for N47 and N47N and who ever sells it must know for which engine it is. Your engine is N47N.
Swirl flaps can fail by getting stuck. I have seen both totally stuck open and stuck closed swirl flaps which do not want to move at all. I have also seen swirl flap that has broken off and fallen into intake but the piece is so large that it did not enter the engine. Was a high miler though without any service done to swirls though.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:29 PM   #16
ddubs
Rep

Garage List
All interesting points. Thank you.

The swirl flap delete (and catch can) arrived today. Luckily, I ordered the correct delete (the small one, N47N).

I may just send this catch can back if it’s that unreliable.

I am curious of the state of the vehicle(s) that they were installed in though (fully delete vs tuned vs fully deleted and tune, etc etc)

Is the application bad in some configurations or all?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 02:06 AM   #17
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I may just send this catch can back if it’s that unreliable.

I am curious of the state of the vehicle(s) that they were installed in though (fully delete vs tuned vs fully deleted and tune, etc etc)

Is the application bad in some configurations or all?
330d F31, 2012, 85K miles (from memory) when the catch can was installed, remapped (330-350bhp , depending on the dyno), OEM DPF, OEM swirl flaps, well maintained including the oil being changed every -7K miles, inlet manifold cleaned (ultrasonic bath) and inlet ports walnut blasted.

Seriously, don’t bother with a catch can. They are more hassle/risk than they’re worth.
Appreciate 1
ddubs0.00
      02-15-2024, 11:22 AM   #18
ddubs
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
330d F31, 2012, 85K miles (from memory) when the catch can was installed, remapped (330-350bhp , depending on the dyno), OEM DPF, OEM swirl flaps, well maintained including the oil being changed every -7K miles, inlet manifold cleaned (ultrasonic bath) and inlet ports walnut blasted.

Seriously, don’t bother with a catch can. They are more hassle/risk than they’re worth.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to box this thing up and send it back.

Gives me a few bucks for the rawtek exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 12:51 PM   #19
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to box this thing up and send it back.

Gives me a few bucks for the rawtek exhaust.
Compared to a catch can the engine will benefit to a FAR greater degree by coding-out and deleting (or just physically blanking) the EGR circuit. The only time that oil vapour is a problem in the inlet tract is when it mixes with soot, turns to paste, and then hardens to coke.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 12:27 PM   #20
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Agreed on catch cans. If an engine needs one, it has bigger concerns. Normally only required on high boost gasoline engines that have poor PCV function under hard cornering causing oil surge - e.g. track days.

As for swirl flaps, modern gas and diesel engines both use them to help atomisation at slow air speeds. They're fully open 90% of the time. Closed at idle and part throttle up to 1200rpm ish on gas engines. Not sure when they open on diesels though, haven't monitored it.

On gas engines you absolutely do notice their removal. Diesels should have enough torque to not notice, and they have tiny bore inlet tracts, so gas speed should be high enough. it's mainly for emissions to help prevent excess raw fuel getting past the piston rings and increasing hydrocarbons.

Last edited by TurboWeasel; 02-16-2024 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:54 AM   #21
denmarktwp
Registered
Rep
Drives: E61, E46, E90, F30, F10

Hello,

I have Rawtek down pipes on both my 535d and 328d. I ordered them with the catalytic converter and am very happy with their products. I was very impressed with the build/weld quality of the products. They were very handsome before installation. They're worth the money in my opinion.

Quote:

Appreciate 0