F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Seat issue
Studio RSR

09-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
Carbon.F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi (M-Sport)

Seat issue

Hi everyone,

I’ve got an issue with my driver seat.

When I’m adjusting the seat, with the engine running, the seat will adjust for a few minutes, then stop. Then I have to release the button and push it again. It will adjust a little more and then stop again.

When I took it in, they replaced the seat motor and it didn’t fix the issue. According to the SA (I can tell this guys is new by the way) it’s supposed to do that and apparently it’s “a safety feature” although he couldn’t provide an explanation as to why it’s necessary. I thought it was odd since this only started happening a few months ago.

Apparently if the engine is running (even though the car is stationary) you have to keep pressing the button, and then releasing it and then pressing it again to make the seat adjust. This doesn’t sound right to me because it didn’t happen when I purchased the car, and it only happens when the car is on.

Any thoughts?
      09-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

It seems right I have to hold the button if the engine is on. When the car is in "On" made but engine off, I can press the button once and it'll adjust the whole way.
      09-24-2017, 12:41 AM   #3
mfstrby
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

First of all, I would not trust a new sales guy. Based on my experience, they seem to say anything to get rid of you.

From what I can recall, I always need to keep the button pressed and it would go all the way at a single shot. Never needed to do it multiple times. Also it is the same when the car is off/on or the engine is running. I will check it next time I get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
MYF30ROCKS
Life is short make it smart
Rep
Drives: F30 335IX M-Sport,HK,MPE,MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor_it View Post
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts?
Are you talking about the memory button or seat independent adjustment buttons?
If it's memory, should work engine on or off in one shot. In drive mode it will not.
Independent buttons works any time continually, if it started intermittent, check motor connections, probably they are loose if seat harnesses hitting floor or something.
If it's not harness loose they need to reflash seat module.
03 M3 Black (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
thisberob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: EFTHIRTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor_it View Post
Hi everyone,

When I’m adjusting the seat, with the engine running, the seat will adjust for a few minutes, then stop. Then I have to release the button and push it again. It will adjust a little more and then stop again.

When I took it in, they replaced the seat motor and it didn’t fix the issue. According to the SA (I can tell this guys is new by the way) it’s supposed to do that and apparently it’s “a safety feature” although he couldn’t provide an explanation as to why it’s necessary. I thought it was odd since this only started happening a few months ago.

Apparently if the engine is running (even though the car is stationary) you have to keep pressing the button, and then releasing it and then pressing it again to make the seat adjust. This doesn’t sound right to me because it didn’t happen when I purchased the car, and it only happens when the car is on.

Any thoughts?
I have the same issue. When clicked on "memory 1" the seat adjusts for maybe 2-3 seconds then stops. I have to let go, then hold it again for another 2-3 seconds then it stops again. After a few rounds of this, the seat finally reaches the set position. This only happens with the engine or ignition on (for now).

I didn't bring the car in to get it investigated. Like I've said in earlier posts, I've been living with these annoying little bugs as I've accepted that the F30 kinda sucks...but the B58 makes up for it.
      09-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisberob View Post
I have the same issue. When clicked on "memory 1" the seat adjusts for maybe 2-3 seconds then stops. I have to let go, then hold it again for another 2-3 seconds then it stops again. After a few rounds of this, the seat finally reaches the set position. This only happens with the engine or ignition on (for now).
That's how my 5-series works... all about safety. You wouldn't want it to move your seat in one move to some obscure position in memory, could be by mistake.

Say one driver is 6' tall, the other is 5' 2". You push the other driver's memory button as you are driving, and it goes the full distance...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
thisberob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: EFTHIRTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That's how my 5-series works... all about safety. You wouldn't want it to move your seat in one move to some obscure position in memory, could be by mistake.

Say one driver is 6' tall, the other is 5' 2". You push the other driver's memory button as you are driving, and it goes the full distance...
This seems counterintuitive for safety.

For example, if I have to pick between the choices of:
-having to repeatedly click the memory button while driving to reach my set/desired seating position while taking my focus off the road
vs
-just holding down the memory 1 button until it reaches the desired seat position
...I would pick the latter.

Furthermore, the function is inconsistent. Sometimes I would have to repeatedly click the memory 1 button and at other times, I can just hold the button down and it will adjust fully without me lifting my finger off the button.

If the car is off and I click the memory button once, it will adjust fully without me holding or repeatedly clicking the seat.

PS my retired 2014 535 never did this. I only needed to hold memory 1 down (and not repeatedly click it) for it to adjust to the desired position.
      09-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisberob View Post
This seems counterintuitive for safety.

If the car is off and I click the memory button once, it will adjust fully without me holding or repeatedly clicking the seat.
Not a safety issue, if we are stationary. Doesn't matter if we get squidged against the steering wheel.

There isn't always logic to how we see it in different models. Depends on the design and safety implementation at build time, things change.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Mine does this as well. I can see the safety aspect. Imagine if something were to get pinned and actuate seat movement while you were driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
Carbon.F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi (M-Sport)

It happens with both the memory button and the other adjustment buttons. It’s weird because my car didn’t initially do that when I got it. I could hold memory, or any other button and it adjusts in one shot with the engine on or off.

I have an ML350 that also adjusts in one shot. Which is why I thought it was off. Maybe a software update they did or something cause my iDrive wiped a few times after service at the dealer.
Appreciate 0