F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Which options will I kick myself most for not getting? Would appreciate your feedback
Studio RSR

07-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
Z4
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
BMW assist actually comes included when you order Navigation as a stand alone option, so you don't need the Tech package for that one.
You are right. I was looking at the bmwconfig and it didn't show BMW Assist included. I guess it really depends on if you like the HUD and BMW Apps or not.

2013 F30 328i Alpine White Sportline / Black Leatherette / Tech / Xenons (Timeline)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
And this is where I'm totally thrown on the speakers. 600+ watts or whatever is just a marketing tool.
Unless or until we are told HOW that figure is derived - PMPO, Peak to Peak, 37.5 watts/channel, RMS (the industry standard - and highly doubtful) or whatever, yes, it is entirely a poor marketing tool at that.

Nonetheless, based on my 2005 E90 with the hk Logic7, I opted for the F30 hk package as although it is not the very best, it is more than adequate.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #25
sekitori
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
All of the self proclaimed audiophiles and stereo experts say the HK system is garbage, they wouldn't spend the extra money on it, and that the 16 speaker 600+ watts or whatever is just a marketing tool.
Audio and video are individual preferences. I would never make a decision based solely on what so-called experts say. Listen to the HK system and the standard audio system and compare them. If the HK system sounds better to you and you think it's worth the extra cost, get it. If not, don't. It's that simple.

Last edited by sekitori; 07-07-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #26
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15
Quote:
Originally Posted by batislav View Post
I love HUD.
Before I ordered my car, I really didn't think much about the HUD, but since I ordered at MY2012, it came with the nav/tech package. Honestly, now, I don't think I ever want to live without it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I absolutely love it. It has totally changed the way that I drive. I would really regret not getting it.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #27
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

HUD is probably the only thing I wish I had. We get a lot of stuff standard on 335i here, we pay a premium though.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #28
JPC Moose
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30/N20Sport /Silver

Zenon Headlights
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC Moose View Post
Zenon Headlights
Thankfully the 2013 335i comes standard with Xenon headlights.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #30
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
Quote:
And this is where I'm totally thrown on the speakers. All of the self proclaimed audiophiles and stereo experts say the HK system is garbage, they wouldn't spend the extra money on it, and that the 16 speaker 600+ watts or whatever is just a marketing tool.
Talk is cheap- go listen to the systems... IMO the HK is a lot of marketing and inferior to aftermarket and/or premium systems on other manufacturers, but it is still much better sounding than the base system. If you like to listen to music a lot, and like solid base- I would want to hear the difference at a dealer before committing. I have had 4 BMWs, 2 with HK and 2 without. Every time I convinced myself it was a waste, I regretted it...
      07-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontic71 View Post
Talk is cheap- go listen to the systems... IMO the HK is a lot of marketing and inferior to aftermarket and/or premium systems on other manufacturers, but it is still much better sounding than the base system. If you like to listen to music a lot, and like solid base- I would want to hear the difference at a dealer before committing. I have had 4 BMWs, 2 with HK and 2 without. Every time I convinced myself it was a waste, I regretted it...
I have listened to both, and the HK does sound better. I just question as to whether it's $800-900 better; I guess what's been holding me back is that I know that it's not a great aftermarket system like you said. Interesting to hear that you regretted not getting it every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #32
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
Quote:
I have listened to both, and the HK does sound better. I just question as to whether it's $800-900 better; I guess what's been holding me back is that I know that it's not a great aftermarket system like you said. Interesting to hear that you regretted not getting it every time.
What happened to me is I lease my cars, and last two I found on the lot vs ordering. In both cases they had everything I wanted except HK. After I had the cars a few months, I really missed the range of the HK as I started to listen to more and more. If you are buying and inclined to put in aftermarket amps/speakers I'm confident you would do better than the HK. In my case I won't be modifying the audio, and I wasn't going to go a third time w/o since I ordered my F30...
      07-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #33
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:

Here is what I was close to getting but want to get feedback if any of you think I'm making a big mistake for not getting

1. Premium package. I've had comfort access on my last two BMWs and liked the feature. I also love the smell of leather, and living in Phoenix Arizona, my understanding is the leather breathes better and will cause me to sweat less. If I'm going to sweat a lot more with leatherette than leather I may need to reconsider. If I barely sweat more, then I'm OK with Leatherette I guess.

2. Harmon Kardon audio. I do listen to a lot of music, but it's all satellite radio, where the sound quality supposedly isn't as great as other media. I see a lot of mixed reviews from audiophiles and regular music listeners alike which swayed me from getting this.

3. Heated front seats. I've had these in my last 2 BMWs and while it doesn't get that cold in Phoenix, my understanding was that leatherette didn't get as cold as leather did in the winter. I did enjoy having these but I maybe only used them a few dozen times a year. My car also sits in an enclosed garage at night which helps. Interestingly enough, should I decide to by the car when the lease is up, heated seats are a must for resale. I am undecided if I would want to purchase after the lease is up.

4. Park distance control (or really any of the parking features). I've had PDC on my last two BMWs as well, and found it to be extremely useful; I probably used it daily. I'm sure I can get by without having it, but it was a nice feature.

5. Heads up display. I had this on my M5, and enjoyed it; was nice not having to take my eyes off the road. Something I can live without, and since BMW Apps has no value to me as an android user, I had a hard time justifying the $900 or so extra cost just for HUD which requires the more expensive tech package instead of just navigation as a standalone option.

6. Auto high beams. A lot of great reviews from people on them, was skeptical based on prior versions of this feature. Would consider for only $250 as a safety feature.

Thoughts?
I can give you a different perspective...'Do I regret getting these options?' (btw, this is my first BMW). For some of the options, since I had no choice, the question becomes 'would I purchase this separately?'.

Premium pkg- No regrets. I got the package for the leather, moonroof, mirrors,..everything BUT the comfort access. I didn't think comfort access would be that big a deal, but it is! I'm loving it.

HK audio- No regrets. I heard the base stereo and thought it sounded quite nice. I ordered the HK stereo on blind faith, having never heard it and thinking it had to sound better and upgrading the base system (which I probably wouldn't do) would cost much more than opting for the HK system. It sounds fantastic!

Heated seats- Didn't purchase and no regrets. I have them in my other car and it is nice to get warm via the seats as they heat up much quicker than heating the air in the cabin. But, being in SoCal, it's something I can do without.

PDC- No choice. I actually wanted the rearview cam and had to get PDC so that option wasn't by choice. I think it works ok, but I absolutely wanted the cam. The guiding lines on the display are awesome. Would I order this separately? Probably, as long as I could get the cam too.

HUD- No choice. My 2012 F30 Tech pkg was bundled with Nav and HUD. Nav was a must for me. The HUD is cool, though. I like the digital speedo. Audio changes displayed on the HUD is a very nice feature, as is showing nav instructions. I'd order it separately.

Auto high beams- No choice. Came with my Xenons (I think). Haven't really played with this much. Probably wouldn't order it separately, but that may change once I start becoming familiar with it.

Hope this helps and congrats on your order!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #34
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
I would definitely do premium package and sound system. No question. The heads up display I think is standard with the tech package.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #35
verbs
Captain
Rep

Interestingly enough it seems the one feature most people felt was important was the Harmon Kardon radio first, with the HUD coming in second.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #36
KQ335XF30
BMWCCA #470039
Rep
Drives: F30-335XDRIVE

I was /am in the same "dilemma" as about what options to get or not. I ended up just upgrading from 328X DRIVE to 2013 base 335 X DRIVE with the HK stereo as the only option besides melbourne red. My current Lexus has many "nice to have" options like heated / cool ventilated seats, navigation, leather seats, comfort hand free access, etc and I hardly ever used those in the past 6 years. During this time, I always wish I had a bigger/faster engine and a nicer stereo. I am buying my car so I will use the spare $$$ and buy the extra 2 year warranty.

Interesting footnote: I went to several local dealerships and saw many F30s (328s+335s) with different lines, configuration, upgrades, colors, options, etc, but none has the HK upgrade. It must have been at least 10 F30s without this option. I wonder why this is.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #37
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Consider that you're leasing.
A $900 option on a 3 yr lease is much less than $900.
Use your lease calculator and add it. If the monthly is within what you're willing to pay, then get it.

It's better sounding that the base system, and that's the biggest reason why the HK upgrade was no question for me.
My 135i has the mid range hi-fi. I didn't get the HK option, and I wish I had. I always have music one when I drive. I'm always listening to something. Rarely, I will turn it of, windows down, and do a 1/4 mile run on the rural roads. But, I listen to the audio about 98% of the time when I'm driving.

I've installed systems in previous cars, and yes, every time those systems outperform the OEM systems, and upgraded OEM's.
But, it takes time to install, you still have to get all the required install items, and purchase the speakers, amps, wires, etc...
I do the work myself, and frankly I'm tired of taking panels apart and putting all the stuff in. Mostly that's due to the fact that I've leased my last 4 cars.
I installed an excellent system in my E46, but I had it for 3yrs and then moved to another new car.

If you are going to keep your BMW, then go ahead an spend the money and get a good system now, then enjoy it for all the years you'll have your car. But since you're leasing, you're going to spend more in real dollars for an aftermarket system then what it will cost you for the HK during the lease term. Plus, you don't have to go through the hassle of removing the system and putting all the stock stuff back on.
For those reasons, the HK makes for a much better proposition if leasing.

Last edited by RPM90; 07-08-2012 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #38
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Consider that you're leasing.
A $900 option on a 3 yr lease is much less than $900.
Use your lease calculator and add it. If the monthly is within what you're willing to pay, then get it.

It's better sounding that the base system, and that's all I based it on.
My 135i has the mid range hi-fi. I didn't get the HK option, and I wish I had. I always have music one when I drive. I'm always listening to something. Rarely, I will turn it of, windows down, and do a 1/4 mile run on the rural roads. But, I listen to the audio about 98% of the time when I'm driving.

I've installed systems in previous cars, and yes, every time those systems outperform the OEM systems.
But, it takes time to install, you still have to get all the required install items, and purchase the speakers, amps, wires, etc...
I do the work myself, and frankly I'm tired of taking panels apart and putting all the stuff in. Mostly that's due to the fact that I've leased my last 4 cars.
I installed an excellent system in my E46, but I had it for 3yrs and then moved to another new car.

If you are going to keep your BMW, then go ahead an spend the money and get a good system now, then enjoy it for all the years you'll have your car. But since you're leasing, you're going to spend more in real dollars for an aftermarket system, the what it will cost you for the HK during the lease term. Plus, you don't have to go through the hassle of removing the system and putting all the stock stuff back on.

For those reasons, the HK makes for a much better proposition if leasing.
And, because of leasing, I'm seriously considering adding the adaptive M and VSS to my 335i.
After that long winded explanation, you better go add the dynamic handling package.

And because I just emailed my dealer to add the HK.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #39
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Quote:
After that long winded explanation, you better go add the dynamic handling package.
I told him that days ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #40
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

After having the HUD, I don't think I would ever choose to not have it again.

I passed on the speed limit display part of the HUD because it was part of an expensive package. Kind of wish I had it, too.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #41
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

And because I just emailed my dealer to add the HK.
Do you mean 'long fingered' perhaps.

Yes, yes, you know I am verbose, extremely.

I did email my CA today, and told him I'm considering the DH pkg.
It only adds like $11 to the monthly.
He may have a 3 with it. I'm heading over there Thursday.

Unless it's too late, cause we're expecting an 'in production' soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #42
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Do you mean 'long fingered' perhaps.

Yes, yes, you know I am verbose, extremely.

I did email my CA today, and told him I'm considering the DH pkg.
It only adds like $11 to the monthly.
He may have a 3 with it. I'm heading over there Thursday.

Unless it's too late, cause we're expecting an 'in production' soon.
Good boy. Now seal the deal!

Now the only items I'm debating are HUD, heated seats and PDC.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #43
Scudder
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Good boy. Now seal the deal!

Now the only items I'm debating are HUD, heated seats and PDC.
I am coming from a car that had none of these and go them on my F30.

HUD: I am glad I sprung for it. Love being able to see my speed digitally projected on the road. Navigation is also very nice with it - even warned me of closed road ahead during construction without taking my eyes of the road. I don't find it as useful for music, but overall I am glad I got it.

Heated Seats: I live in Michigan so these are an absolute must for me. You said you "only" used them a few dozen times... ahhhh.. that seems like a fair amount to make them worth the cost since I believe they are fairly inexpensive. I find them indispensable in our cold winters because they heat up so much quicker than the car's heating system.

PDC: I debated a lot on this one and I sprang for the rear camera and PDC (but not side cameras or blind spot detector). I am glad I got both. They put my mind at ease when parking or backing in/out of a parking place. The camera is also very good for getting your car centered between the parking lane markers - important to me to hopefully prevent door dings and because I was coming from 10 years of driving a much wider car. I like that you also get a button you can quickly press to turn on the sensors/camera when you are pulling forward into a parking spot so you don't go too far and scrape the front bottom of the car.

If I *had* to live without one of them, I'd probably pick the HUD but I would miss it.
Appreciate 0