F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > CAR Compares F31 3 Series Touring vs. A4 Avant and C-Class Estate
Extreme Powerhouse

07-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #23
Hornady
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Im sorry but i hate estate cars. When i realise that i need an estate i will officially consider my life over... That and people carriers.

Funny how i grew up in saloons(not the western kind) and never once felt we needed one of those horrid brat delivery vans or a saloon with a dog kennel stuck to the back.

At least BMW try and make them look cool, i guess it makes the owners feel like less of a old fuddy duddy when they drive them.

Last edited by Hornady; 07-16-2013 at 03:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoz View Post
Who buys GTs anyway? The 5 series GT has been on sale since 2009, I've seen only 1 since then!! ONE!!! Who was the genius that came up with that brilliant idea??
You're lucky.

I frequently visit Toronto and I've seen about twenty. Even a few 550iGTs. I throw up a little every time I see it...I pray the 3GT will never sell well.

Who the fuck spends 80k on a 5GT? 535GT I can understand (no I can't actually) for space, but 80k on a 5GT is insane. I'll never buy the GTs/X4/X6. The X3 and X5 aren't bad at all...

If BMW actually brought a F11 over to NA I'm sure it would not only sell well but also purge the thought of GTs from our mind.

Do the 5GTs sell well? Pretty sure, worldwide, they sell worse than the tourings. Thus it makes financial sense to bring it to the US, even if Americans hate wagons (I bet they hate the GT more). Heck I've seen quite a few E91s and A4 avants, so wagons must at least sell decently well.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #25
sworks335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Excellent! Now make an M version!!!
+1
      07-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #26
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornady
Im sorry but i hate estate cars. When i realise that i need an estate i will officially consider my life over... That and people carriers.

Funny how i grew up in saloons(not the western kind) and never once felt we needed one of those horrid brat delivery vans or a saloon with a dog kennel stuck to the back.

At least BMW try and make them look cool, i guess it makes the owners feel like less of a old fuddy duddy when they drive them.
In NA the touring cars are rare and do not carry the same persona as what you see in Europe.

Minivans here are pretty horrid but Touring cars are great here.

I am trading in my M3 for an F31 and an super excited. The new F30 sedans are pretty plain, I think the F31 is way nicer.

I think your view might be true there but here in NA it's completely different.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #27
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

I think the F31 looks better than the F30. I wonder what the difference in performance is on a test track. The sedan is probably quicker, but by how much I wonder.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
BAMM the X4 is up next...
And then BAM an X4 GT......
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
M Pete
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Imola M3 vert, 2014 F31

I can't wait to pick mine up on the 27th! I will admit that with the F31 I feel like I'm settling a bit. What I really want is a 5 series diesel wagon, but that will never come to the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #30
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pete
I can't wait to pick mine up on the 27th! I will admit that with the F31 I feel like I'm settling a bit. What I really want is a 5 series diesel wagon, but that will never come to the US.
The 5er Touring is a big car and dam the 5 series is big $$$.

The 3 series is a great balance and still semi-reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #31
BMWITA
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
that article was part reason why i ordered a F31
I love my BMW and I think I'll stick with them in the future (F31 is actually on my wish list). But, how credible do you think the article be, if BMW is in the foreground in every picture? Would you expect that the cars switch position to take the rear shot?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhill View Post
I have 135,000 miles on my 2006 328 xit, which I bought new. It is still tight and reliable. It is my one-car fleet--sports car, luxury car, snow car, and cargo hauler. For those who don't like the choices that BMW has made in the new F 31, what else are you going to buy? An Acura sports wagon? An SUV? The F 31 provides more utility than the sedan and still retains more sport than any of the other choices out there. I will replace my wagon in the next year or two, and when I do I will look at the X 1, the X 3, the GT, and the 3 series sedan with folding rear seats, but I expect to get another 3-series wagon. It has all of the utility that I need, and none of the other choices have as much of the sport that we all want.
I'll likely end up buying an E91 with a stick. Or a V50, or a V70R (always wanted one of those). Maybe a Forester XT. There are lots of cool cars I want. BMW is welcome to not have the sale. They've done the math, they've decided the market isn't worth serving. Fine with me, I'm not gonna throw money at them for a car I don't want. $50k is a lot of money for a car you're compromising on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornady

Congrats! That's how I feel about sedans. Beige genericmobiles with an unnecessary small trunk. You see 10 of them on every block. The entire style is a conceit; let's compromise the utility of this vehicle, because some people somehow think this shape makes them look like less of an old fuddy duddy. No desire to ever own one.

We all have opinions.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #33
Wombat
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Bronze F31 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWITA View Post
I love my BMW and I think I'll stick with them in the future (F31 is actually on my wish list). But, how credible do you think the article be, if BMW is in the foreground in every picture? Would you expect that the cars switch position to take the rear shot?
everyone has their reasons why the choose their car. I had long wanted to change to the F31. The article just help me confirm what I had decided. Whats wrong with agreeing to an article that has the same bias as your decisions?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #34
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

The Swedes are a practical bunch, most of the 3 series sold are the touring versions. I think of functionality and form....the f31, is my pick on both accounts.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #35
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Well Ive had mine (328i) since early october, was one of the first to get the F31 after 4 months of waiting and all I can say is that its simply awesome. Love it more and more every day, and design wise there is no other wagon that can match it (M Sport). Its as good as they say in the article, the F31 that is and not that awful diesel engine... but thats another thread

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #36
soydavichu
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrickm5 View Post
I think the F31 looks better than the F30. I wonder what the difference in performance is on a test track. The sedan is probably quicker, but by how much I wonder.
+1

Actually, I don't have that much of space need (no kids yet) and choose F31. For me, it looks much better.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #37
Stillhart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are talking about what's called the 328i Sport Wagon in the US? British mag, different names, but just making sure. I don't think it's the GT, but you never know. It's hard to tell from the overprocessed pictures.

I must admit, the idea of a BMW wagon with all that space and the performance of a normal 328 is pretty tempting. I heard it was coming in RWD later, but I haven't seen it yet. :-/
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #38
lithe
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 GR Corolla, '17 Tundra

Love the F31!

My wife & I will be needing a larger car eventually and for wagons the selections are few. We feel like stepping up to a larger car or SUV, something is lost-even if said car is "sporty". We were considering the new GS350, A6, M37x...Acura MDX too.

Obviously, with a wagon we can haul more stuff and still keep the smaller car handling dynamics. A roof rack & box is available for those longer trips.

We do wish a manual trans option was available, but all reviews seem to praise the ZF8-speed. The N20 is a gem. Really can't wait to drive this car!

~55K new just isn't in our budget however (M Sport, DHP, Xenon, Cold Weather, roof rack stuff). Hopefully the prices come down so we can pick one up CPO in a year or two.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #39
Wombat
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Bronze F31 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are talking about what's called the 328i Sport Wagon in the US? British mag, different names, but just making sure. I don't think it's the GT, but you never know. It's hard to tell from the overprocessed pictures.

I must admit, the idea of a BMW wagon with all that space and the performance of a normal 328 is pretty tempting. I heard it was coming in RWD later, but I haven't seen it yet. :-/
yes F31 is the touring (wagon) the GT is F34
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #40
Whyte901
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Xdrive Msport Touring

Garage List
I had the option and still chose the F31, As people have said I personally prefer the shape.
Plus the space gained for me (I'm a mountain biker) made the decision all the easier!
Appreciate 0