F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 3 Series and Gran Coupe Garner Auto Motor Und Sport Best Design Innovation Awards
ARMA SPEED

09-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thumbs up BMW 3 Series and Gran Coupe Garner Auto Motor Und Sport Best Design Innovation Awards

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW 3 Series and Gran Coupe Garner Auto Motor Und Sport Best Design Innovation Awards
COMMENTS

"The best design innovations 2012": BMW seizes double victory.

Munich.
With their expressive and unmistakeable design, BMW’s latest new models convince not only juries of experts at renowned competitions, but also the general public. Latest example of this is BMW’s double victory in the readers’ survey conducted by the trade magazine “auto, motor und sport”. In the vote for the best design innovations 2012, the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé and the new BMW 3 Series Sedan each attained a top position in their respective vehicle segment. As a result, both models are now being honoured with the “autonis” award presented by “auto, motor und sport”. “We are very happy to receive the awards for the new BMW 3 Series and the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé. Such a positive feedback from our customers and friends of the BMW brand is truly a major acknowledgement of our work and gives us the encouragement to continue approaching the design of our vehicles with the deepest commitment and passion,” comments Karim Habib, head of BMW Design.

Name:  bmwf30s.jpg
Views: 15910
Size:  165.1 KB

In the case of the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé, the venture into a new vehicle segment is accompanied by a fascinating combination of aesthetics, dynamics and luxurious flair. The brand’s first 4-door coupé boasts its very own product personality, reflecting elegant styling and exclusiveness both in the interior and on the outside. Likewise, the new BMW 3 Series Sedan immediately underscores its position as a sporty 4-door saloon car at very first glance. The both dynamic and elegant contours and the unmistakeable front end with headlight assemblies extending to the BMW kidney grille give clear indication of even greater driving pleasure that can be experienced with the sixth generation of the world’s most widely sold premium automobile.

The aesthetic appeal achieved by each award-winner in its individual way is the result of the features that define the design of BMW automobiles. The brand identity of every BMW is reflected in its proportions, these symbolising elegant sportiness above all with a long bonnet, short overhangs, a long wheelbase and a set back passenger cell. The model-specific character is created by complexly modelled, powerfully stretched surfaces structured by precisely defined lines. Thanks to a unique interpretation of the surface design and detailed accents, each respective model becomes an unmistakeable product personality.

Name:  IMG_7910.jpg
Views: 14717
Size:  154.9 KB

More than 14,500 readers and online users participated in the poll to determine “the best design innovations of the year”. They judged the appearance of 102 new models launched during the past twelve months. Overall victory in two categories went to BMW’s latest models. The BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé proved to be the public’s upper-range favourite, whilst participants voted the BMW 3 Series Sedan the most attractive new middle-class model.

Both models had previously already received awards in well-known design competitions. The BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé is one of the winners of the “red dot award 2012” for outstanding product design, in which the new BMW 3 Series Sedan also received an “honourable mention”. In the “Automotive Brand Contest” held by the “Design Council”, both new models received an award in the category “interior”. Moreover, the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé also convinced the jury comprising experts from the areas of design, media, brand communication and science in the “exterior” category. Consequently, both models are also nominated for the “Design Award of the Federal Republic of Germany”.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Congrats BMW. I truly believe the GC is one of the best designed cars to date. Its one of those that'll live for ever years from now.

The GC absolutely demolishes the CLS (Cls is a very good looking auto as well) but i have to give it to BMW.
      09-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

I would not say that about new 3. Still front ugly. Maybe new F80 will clean that out.
Just my opinion

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer
I would not say that about new 3. Still front ugly. Maybe new F80 will clean that out.
Just my opinion
Same here, the front of the F30 isnt so appealing, but the rest of the body is nice.

Its a new BMW sales strategy, have you noticed how the front of new BMWs are looking ugly?

More and more people are spending more $$ to include the M-Sport package.

This generation will have the most cars with the M-Sport option
      09-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
tmurphy2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Just my opinion
I'd agree just because the e90 to e92 comparison is two completely different cars. But you have to consider this: they are competing against other manufactures cars not their own history, so tell me another similarly priced car that is the same size that is better looking? This car is better lookig than the e90 (what is compared against) but not the e92 imo.

e92 335i sport[/B] 2 GO: Cobb AP Stg 2+, Macht Schnell DPs, Injen intake, Spearco FMIC, Velocity throttle booster, DBA 4000xs rotors, Vibrant Performance catback, Synapse BOV & charge pipe, Hancook V12 EVOs 4 SHOW: DCT paddles, cusco strut, piano black trim, Mtech bumper, aero lip, 19" Miro 111's, angel eye, black: window trim, side mark, kidneys
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy2
Quote:
Just my opinion
I'd agree just because the e90 to e92 comparison is two completely different cars. But you have to consider this: they are competing against other manufactures cars not their own history, so tell me another similarly priced car that is the same size that is better looking? This car is better lookig than the e90 (what is compared against) but not the e92 imo.
Are you kidding? C-Class! The design of the current C-class totally kills the F30 and even E90.
      09-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I think some people are bugged by the "gap" over the 3 series headlights, because it is different. I like it. It is fun blasting around in my one series, but I want my next car to be larger with a less active ride, so probably a 3 is in my future.
      09-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
F30 Front is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
Just my opinion
My favorite part of the new F30 is the front end grill.

To each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
BMWgasm
Hooah!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

You really need to see the F30 in person to appreciate how nice it looks. I can honestly say I HATED it in photos, but when I saw one coming down the road it literally made me turn my head. It looks fantastic on the road. Obviously everyone has their own taste, but you should reserve judgement until you see it live. If you have and you still don't like then that is your perogative. Just my two cents.
      09-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Koer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 2014 Sec. 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw2626
You really need to see the F30 in person to appreciate how nice it looks. I can honestly say I HATED it in photos, but when I saw one coming down the road it literally made me turn my head. It looks fantastic on the road. Obviously everyone has their own taste, but you should reserve judgement until you see it live. If you have and you still don't like then that is your perogative. Just my two cents.
+1 to that, absolutely a head turner day and night!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

The thing I love most about the F30 is from the side how the hood dives down. Reminds me a lot of the Z4.

The 6GC is just pure sex. Oversized sex, but sex nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Its a new BMW sales strategy, have you noticed how the front of new BMWs are looking ugly?
Totally disagree. The argument could be made about the F30 because it's much more aggressive and different but for the rest of the FXX 5, 6, 7-Series, it's an improvement over the EXX platform/chassis thanks to the kidney grilles that make it look very german/muscular while retaining the soft/well-rounded lines overall on the body.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiles View Post
My favorite part of the new F30 is the front end grill.

To each his own I guess.
+1. I get a ton of compliments on my new f30.
      09-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw2626 View Post
I think the opposite is true. It looks GREAT in press photos in comparison to real life. When the car is square in my rear view it looks terrible. Something is not right. I guarantee BMW is going to address this in the coupe and sedan LCI.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Congrats BMW. I truly believe the GC is one of the best designed cars to date. Its one of those that'll live for ever years from now.

The GC absolutely demolishes the CLS (Cls is a very good looking auto as well) but i have to give it to BMW.
Going to have to politely disagree. Even being in the BMW camp I can admit the CLS is a much more striking car. The new 6er GC is bland and the front end looks odd/goofy.

The weird part is it looks even more goofy with the M-tech.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
Just my opinion
I like the F30 in M-tech trim. I agree the F80 should be a huge improvement. It has a lot of potential to look really aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Both cars have an impressive design and the aggressive look is shown very well especially with the M Pack!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
tmurphy2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy2
Quote:
Just my opinion
Are you kidding? C-Class! The design of the current C-class totally kills the F30 and even E90.
Haha deff nice looking cars but better than the new 3.... Idk, to each is own. now if we are talking a c63.... Then we're talking.

e92 335i sport[/B] 2 GO: Cobb AP Stg 2+, Macht Schnell DPs, Injen intake, Spearco FMIC, Velocity throttle booster, DBA 4000xs rotors, Vibrant Performance catback, Synapse BOV & charge pipe, Hancook V12 EVOs 4 SHOW: DCT paddles, cusco strut, piano black trim, Mtech bumper, aero lip, 19" Miro 111's, angel eye, black: window trim, side mark, kidneys
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
HELL NO!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Going to have to politely disagree. Even being in the BMW camp I can admit the CLS is a much more striking car. The new 6er GC is bland and the front end looks odd/goofy.

The weird part is it looks even more goofy with the M-tech.

I have a different opinion.I can live with the exterior[though it could be better]The interior though amazing is impractical.I recently had a chance to be in the backseat of a 6GC.It turned out to be more of a punishment.Its market caters to a niche where luxury and comfort are important.The backseat in the 6 GC is luxurious but painful to be in.I was almost convinced to have it until my experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

Quote:
Even though I like the F30 more overall in terms of driving dynamics, fuel efficiency, technology, and value based upon a couple of different test drives, I think the C class has the F30 noticeably beat in terms of exterior and interior....assuming the C class is big enough for you. I much prefer the front end of the C class over the last two 3 series sedans. Mercedes may have an easier task since in general, I think its easier to make a mass market car look good with the C class dimensions then the new 3 series which is larger.

Frankly I think the looks of most popular BMWs produced today are nothing that special but that doesn't stop many of them from being great cars. I used to really like the looks of the old 5 and 3 series sedans but nowadays, I really don't think they are much better in terms of exterior looks then many mass market sedans.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcinvest View Post
I really don't think they are much better in terms of exterior looks then many mass market sedans.
Exactly. The F30 is very safely styled, bland at best. It is difficult to have a strong reaction to its styling as a result, either negative or positive.

But it has a nice personality.
Appreciate 0