F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Coming soon......teaser pics
Studio RSR

12-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Very happy chappy here....picked it up this afternoon

As some of you know I have been in a 318D Sport for the last week and a half, so similar car........you might think? Yes ok the seating position and general view is the same, but that is where it stops. The thing you notice straight off.....Servotronic steering......Wow, like night and day, the 318D had a really wooden steering feel compared to the servotronic,k which is alive and feels as good as a hydraulic system. If buying a car that doesdn't come with SS, definitely consider it.
Second thing I noticed was the bite in the brakes, OK I'm talking M sport braking here, definitely has plenty more feel. Not that the 318D brakes were bad, in fact they were very progressive and smooth........but the M brakes.....one word.....violent!

Two tech features that are an absolute blast?

The adaptive headlights, you honestly have to see them to believe them. Following a car on a dual carriageway, the lights are on high beam except for a box where the car in front is. He moved over to the next lane, and the dim box moved with him......how the hell does it do that? Really impressive.

Comparison between halogens and zenon? Both are excellent, can't really say xenon are superior other than the fact that adaptive function....worth the money alone, and only come with xenon.

Adaptive cruise control? Wow, I am in love......once again you can use CC. Still to test it on a busy motorway, but seems to work a treat so far. I was surprised at how hard it accelerates when the slower car in front moves over

Some thoughts on the others....

Adaptive suspension? One thing for sure, is that on 'soft' setting it is still not as soft as the Sport suspension, which as we know is the same as the other non M Sport lines in the UK.
I would have to drive the two back to back, but I am thinking the adaptive in 'stiff' mode is marginally stiffer than standard M Sport.....at least from memory.

New pro nav? Absolutely brilliant.....think it will take years to get to know and use all the features. It is so fast, plots navigation courses in the blink of an eye, and the screen resolution is amazing for a nav system.

Haven't done many miles yet.....but sure am looking forward to that A road cross country I have tomorrow.....please roads, be ice free!!!

One thing.....why doesn't my rear view cam work? not coded? or needs somehow turning on?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Good write-up, glad you finally have the car the adaptive headlights sound awesome, looking forward to trying them in mine. Disappointed to hear about the adaptive suspension though, I was hoping for a plush 5-Series ride when in 'comfort'!

Re the new pro nav, I think I remember the F31 I test drove having new voice directions compared with the old nav, better quality voice and more fluid speech etc.: is that the case?
      12-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Good write-up, glad you finally have the car the adaptive headlights sound awesome, looking forward to trying them in mine. Disappointed to hear about the adaptive suspension though, I was hoping for a plush 5-Series ride when in 'comfort'!

Re the new pro nav, I think I remember the F31 I test drove having new voice directions compared with the old nav, better quality voice and more fluid speech etc.: is that the case?
The adaptive headlights are an amazing feature, I'm not that bothered with the bending round corners bit, but how it shifts the beam around to miss blinding other road users is impressive. One thing it didn't pick up....I was entering a large roundabout just as a police car was directly opposite side on.....the battenburgs lit up like the 4th of July

Adaptive sus.....I imagine the roll bars and springs are still M Sport spec, both of which do affect the ride harshness. Perhaps the 19's also firm it up about after the Sports 18's?

Yes, nav voice is pretty clear, and from memory has more depth than the older nav.

On the stereo, my car's system is definitely better than the 318D's I just handed back. Niether have HK, better amp in Pro Nav system?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #26
Doc943
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d SE

You will never know how envious I am at this moment!! A fantastic motor, congrats
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #27
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Hey Nisfan, you got yours too. Lol was wondering where you been. Guess we've been too busy driving our cars and there's too many EBII landing at the moment so we're not starting new threads.

My rear view cam pops up when I put it in reverse.

Think I've pretty much figured out the pro nav and media stuff. Thats pretty tough going that, its like the old non touch smart phones, you need to learn all the different menus, how to get to where you want and to do what you want. Taken me a few days to get the hang of it.

Love the HUD. The nav directions, a bit 'meh' at the moment, on some more complicated junctions it's not entirely clear where I'm suppose to go. "Half turn left then right..?" Maybe just need to get use to it.

Have the BMW app, only by accident did I figure out that sending addresses or locations to the car sends it as a sms message. I was thinking it would send it direct to the nav and start guidance straight away.

Active cruise control is good, the stop go haven't fully tested. When I've used it, it does stop but when the car in front goes again there's quite a long pause so I've not waited for it to go as the traffic was quite heavy and I didnt want to get honked.

I have a button for rear end collision warning, which I didnt choose as an option unless its part of the stop go. Didnt know what that was until I youtubed it. When I asked my salesman when we were in the car he thought it was for when cars go into the back of you.

I'm actually getting a bit of motion sickness when I floor it from a stand still, the feeling I get in my stomach and head, I feel worse with the strong new leather smell.

Bit wary of settings getting lost. When I first drove it away from the dealer, i went to look at some tyres. Parked up, when I got back and started the car again, everything seemed to have reset, HUD was showing in kilometres, seat position had reset, media screen had reset. Been ok since though.

All in all, absolutely loving it.

Only just noticed this earlier when let my cousin and bro have a drive, when he put it in reverse, both front fog lights came on. I quite liked that touch.
      12-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #28
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Brilliant write ups guys. Especially liked the bits on adaptive lighting as I will be getting this when mine arrives!

Just to pick up on one point for now; The media pro pack - does anyone know if it has uprated speakers as per the optional extra (not the HK one) or is it identical to the normal media packs as standard... What about the amp?
      12-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #29
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
The adaptive headlights are an amazing feature, I'm not that bothered with the bending round corners bit
I don't think you realise how good the bending round corners function is until you loose it! The Kia I'm driving has standard halogen lights and in these dark evenings I've really realised how good the LED headlights were on the Mercedes CLS were and the bending slightly with the wheel does make a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #30
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Nice provisional rite up nisfan.

I will be curious to get your views on the adaptive cruise after living with it for a bit.

I had it on my first E60 but didn't use it a lot as it always made me more nervous than relaxed. I am sure the tech has moved on quite a lot in 6 years though.

Pleased to hear about the steering though.

Mine is supposed to be at the dealers on the 18th. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #31
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Brilliant write ups guys. Especially liked the bits on adaptive lighting as I will be getting this when mine arrives!

Just to pick up on one point for now; The media pro pack - does anyone know if it has uprated speakers as per the optional extra (not the HK one) or is it identical to the normal media packs as standard... What about the amp?
You definitely don't get uprated speakers with the professional media package, but you may get a better amp. I know that in the old cars (E90 etc) there was the choice of 'Professional' head unit etc when you didn't have the nav, and the nav came with the same better amp that the Professional head unit came with, so it's possible the nav on our cars also uprates the amp...
      12-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #32
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
The adaptive headlights, you honestly have to see them to believe them. Following a car on a dual carriageway, the lights are on high beam except for a box where the car in front is. He moved over to the next lane, and the dim box moved with him......how the hell does it do that? Really impressive.

Comparison between halogens and zenon? Both are excellent, can't really say xenon are superior other than the fact that adaptive function....worth the money alone, and only come with xenon.
100% agree, this is the first car I've had with adaptive lights and it's now on my 'must have' list! Everyone who's been in the car says "Wow! How does it do that?". I found they really excelled when I was driving at night one time on unlit sections of the A1 in driving rain. Really glad I had them

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Thanks for the review that's great i was hovering over getting full visability pack well box ticked know as only £215 more for adaptive, thanks for spending my money, as for M sport Brakes you say Violent is that in good way or no fun in and about town, with the misses driving, or ending up with a car stuck on your rear end, or just great feel but fast deceleration?, as for Adaptive susspension i currently have a e90 330D M Sport and on poor ne scotland roads it is terrible would you say the adaptive is well worth the money and will i notice a big difference from standard M S port car , thanks Derek
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #34
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

One thing.....why doesn't my rear view cam work? not coded? or needs somehow turning on?
It needs changing/selecting in settings, thats all.
      12-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #35
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Love the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Oooh too many replies to reply to

Update after a day of ownership (excuse the swearing):

I fucking love this car!!!!

.......not much more I can say
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #37
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
John switched on reverse cam, but on reversing I get the PDC graphics only. I need to press the iDrive controller to select cam, then it comes on. Where do I select it to come on automatically? Manual is no help
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #38
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Thanks for the review that's great i was hovering over getting full visability pack well box ticked know as only £215 more for adaptive, thanks for spending my money, as for M sport Brakes you say Violent is that in good way or no fun in and about town, with the misses driving, or ending up with a car stuck on your rear end, or just great feel but fast deceleration?, as for Adaptive susspension i currently have a e90 330D M Sport and on poor ne scotland roads it is terrible would you say the adaptive is well worth the money and will i notice a big difference from standard M S port car , thanks Derek
Hi Derek

Full vis pack is a must, I was following a car this evening through a wooded curvy A road, adaptive lights on, the car in front had a wall of light (seen clearly on the dense trees on the side of the road) literally half a car length from it's rear bumper, that followed it around the bend. Whoever devised the method and programmed the logic deserves a medal.....seriously.

M Sport brakes....violent? Don't worry about them being oversensitive, they are not....plenty of feel when used 'normally'. But when you use them in anger.....violent

I'm probably not the best person to ask about standard M Sport vs. Adaptive suspension. It has been a little while since I test drove a 330D M Sport with standard suspension. Can some of the more qualified test pilots that have driven them back to back comment?

What I can say is it is not 'SE/Luxury/sport', etc supple in comfort mode. Perhaps half way between these and M Sport? In Sport mode they seem stiffer than the 330D MS I drove, but then again that was riding on the M400 18". I would say that for the 50 notes or so they cost, worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #39
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF64 View Post
Nice provisional rite up nisfan.

I will be curious to get your views on the adaptive cruise after living with it for a bit.

I had it on my first E60 but didn't use it a lot as it always made me more nervous than relaxed. I am sure the tech has moved on quite a lot in 6 years though.

Pleased to hear about the steering though.

Mine is supposed to be at the dealers on the 18th. Fingers crossed.
Thanks matey

I used the ACC a fair bit today, it does do some strange things if you leave it on (which is easier to do than you might think). Roundabouts are............interesting An example: if you follow another car into a roundabout you get situations mid corner when the radar can no longer 'see' the car that has just turned out of it's sight, then the ACC turns on the taps mid roundabout.......nice in these icy conditions, lol. Another thing it can do is again on roundabouts, pick up a sign or other stationary feature mid roundabout, and almost come to a stop. Answer: Don't use it on roundabouts. Otherwise it works really well....although still not tested it in heavy motorway conditions just yet.

I know what the waiting is like...agony...definitely worth it though, it is an amazing car.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #40
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
John switched on reverse cam, but on reversing I get the PDC graphics only. I need to press the iDrive controller to select cam, then it comes on. Where do I select it to come on automatically? Manual is no help
Have you got surround view?, when rear view camera button is pressed, you should be able to press the controller and get the menu up to change through the various views.
      12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #41
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Have you got surround view?, when rear view camera button is pressed, you should be able to press the controller and get the menu up to change through the various views.
No, not got surround.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #42
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No, not got surround.
Then selecting Reverse or pushing the Parking sensor button should bring it up.
If not it needs checking out.
      12-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #43
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

The car looks great!

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #44
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Then selecting Reverse or pushing the Parking sensor button should bring it up.
If not it needs checking out.
BMW are baffled why it doesn't work as it should
Appreciate 0