F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Knocking/Pinging Sound --> Very Concerning
ARMA SPEED

08-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
theturtle
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Knocking/Pinging Sound --> Very Concerning

Hey guys, want to get your opinions on this.

When I started my car this morning (garaged every night) my defroster and AC light started blinking. No air was coming out no matter what setting it was at. I tried auto and manual where I control the strength of the AC, nothing, no air. This is actually the second time that this occurred. First when I bought the car and the second time being now. Usually it went away after I left the car off for a few hours or so.

I started driving to work and I realized there was this knocking sound somewhere. I originally thought they were doing construction next to me and that it might be the sound of a hammer but when I turned around, there was nothing.

I ended up pulling into a neighborhood to see what was going in. The sound was def coming from my car. It was like the sound of a raindrop hitting a hollow roof. I got out my car and noticed that the sound could even be heard outside. It was loudest about 1 foot left of my gas tank. Could this sound be my ac/defroster acting up or something more serious?

View My Video
View My Video

Last edited by theturtle; 08-28-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
illirep
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Possible leak in your hvac system? I would go straight to the dealership before any further damage is caused.
Bill
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
theturtle
Private
Rep

Oddly enough, the sound went away right now when i went to go start my car. The AC is working fine again too.

Good thing I have this on camera. Not sure what to do in this situation, whether I should still go to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

If the ac isn't working, it could be a failed compressor. Problem is that that is on the left side of the engine. There's nothing mechanical near the fuel tank that would make that noise AFAIK.

I would have it flat-bedded to the dealer, as it sounds serious and possibly engine-related.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
theturtle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
If the ac isn't working, it could be a failed compressor. Problem is that that is on the left side of the engine. There's nothing mechanical near the fuel tank that would make that noise AFAIK.

I would have it flat-bedded to the dealer, as it sounds serious and possibly engine-related.
Damn, it def doesn't sound good. I hate that the vehicle only has 3500 miles. Why would this happen only twice though in those 3500 miles?
Appreciate 0