F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Aftermarket Exhaust Conflicting with Foot Trunk Opener?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #1
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

As my title suggests, I am wondering if anyone has had any problems with their Comfort Access "foot motion" automatic trunk opener not working after installing an aftermarket exhaust. I'm not 100% sure they're related (I've never gotten up underneath there to look where the motion detector is and how it works)....but since I got my Borla catback exhaust, I don't recall my foot trunk opener working.

Just curious if anyone is familiar with the technical side of this (whether the exhaust would even affect that or not) before I take my car in for service only to have them tell me my exhaust is "blocking" the motion detector or something. Then of course, it would not be fixed under warranty or even fixable period.

First world problem.....I know haha.....but I'm taking my car in for some other stuff and thought I'd have them look at this if its a legitimate issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Ive read issues where different diffusers can cause this but never the exhaust itself. Did you also change the diffuser? One thing to try is to get on the ground and using your hand, try to get the trunk open. That will verify if the sensor is working and give you and idea as to where your foot needs to be.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0