F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Door Creaking Noises from Rubber Seal
proTUNING Freaks

06-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #177
IanW555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G81 M3T / X5 F15 30d

Garage List
Squeak update, it's back on the driver door!! Now wondering whether to go back to BMW or remove tape and try 'user' resolution on here?

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #178
Agent99
Covert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Mine aren't bad...can't be heard over the radio. I did notice that the passenger's side mirror housing squeaks quite badly if I move it a bit (grab the housing with my hand, I mean). I dunno if is is related the door seals. I have some stuff I applied (I'll edit this with what it was later) in the areas most have suggested in this thread and there was zero impact.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #179
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Mine have never made a peep. Perhaps it's because I apply this twice a year:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't use it to stop noise, I use it to prolong the life of the seals. The lack of noise is an added benefit.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #180
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

My driver's door is so bad. The gummi plfedge has helped in the case of the rear driver's door window trim, but the front door has gotten way beyond that being at all effective. The maintenance is coming up, I will have to bring it up to the guy.

The passenger door is fine. If I push lightly on the top of the door frame, the drivers side has all kinds of play in it, and it makes the noise I hear every single second in the car. The passenger door top frame is solid, no movement, no noise. Drivers side door frame flexes around and makes noise. If I put the window down a crack the noise goes away.

I'm wondering if it's a window / door adjustment. I don't think it's a seal as the entire door frame slops around quite badly.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #181
filiplat
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 318i 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj49er View Post
"IF" you're experiencing the same issue that I did, you should be able to reproduce the noise by pressing in on the rubber where my finger is located in the 1st picture. Probably, the entire run over and around both doors is suspect.

I first applied gummi to the area labeled "Mating Surface" in the 2nd picture (not the felt) and I found no joy. The instant that I put a paint sealant on the BOTTOM surface of the shadowline trim, I never heard another creak. Maybe it's a combination of the 2 things, but it appeared to me that, like the Teflon solution, the friction between the rubber and shadowline trim needs to be lowered so that they can easily slide past each other as they flex.
Did somebody try with this one https://carpro.uk.com/products/perl-...-leather-500ml

I am confused about procedure. Firstly i need to wash this parts thorougly then apply this product which i linked or do you recommedn something else? Although i have E90, the problem is same.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #182
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by filiplat View Post
Did somebody try with this one https://carpro.uk.com/products/perl-...-leather-500ml

I am confused about procedure. Firstly i need to wash this parts thorougly then apply this product which i linked or do you recommedn something else? Although i have E90, the problem is same.
Did someone say to apply PERL to the shadowline trim to get rid of the creak?

The creaks are driving me nuts and I have a bottle of PERL because I use it on my tires. Hmmmmm
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #183
BMWF30PGH
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 320i xDrive

+1 for Gummi Pflege as well. I have been applying it twice a year and mine have been silent. When I first got the car I had creaks galore.
Appreciate 1
Rebound152.50
      02-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #184
hamannperformance
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 R8 V10+ Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
Hello,

I have this really annoying b-pillar door area creaking noises that occur whenever I go over even the slightest road imperfections. It's like body flexing, plastic creaking noises.

If some of you guys had this already, was the dealership able to fix it for you? If so, what seems to be the problem?

UPDATE: It is the ugly piece of door seal that you visibly see outside, above your windows. It is not gripping as tightly as it should, hence the door will flex causing the creaking noise. The noise may sound like sheets of paper rubbing against each other.

dL
Wanted to help others out. Went to the BMW dealer and they used this stuff below, which is a cheaper alternative. The squeaking went away completely. They said the problem with the Teflon tape is that it falls off over time. Attached is a picture showing where they applied it. It was only applied to the top of the middle section between the black felt and the door seal. Good luck

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...BoCxokQAvD_BwE
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #185
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Garage List
Interesting. Do you think this product could work better than gummi plfedge ? (I apply gummi plfedge once every 2 months and still creaks)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #186
ndshgyta
Rep
Drives: f30

This creaking is comming from 2 parts:

1. The shadow line trim which can be fixed with the teflon tape.

2. The glass rubbing against the seals causing the sound. The only fix i think is changing door glass seals? Or put some material inside, where the glass is moving.

I already applied teflon tape and the creaking is less but continue to have creaking from the glass and seal!

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 07:10 AM   #187
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Garage List
Applied this lube stick this morning and instantly no more creaks !
Let's see how long it takes before coming back but I find this stick to be more silent than Gummi Pflege or teflon sprays (sorry didn't try the tape method).

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamannperformance View Post
Wanted to help others out. Went to the BMW dealer and they used this stuff below, which is a cheaper alternative. The squeaking went away completely. They said the problem with the Teflon tape is that it falls off over time. Attached is a picture showing where they applied it. It was only applied to the top of the middle section between the black felt and the door seal. Good luck

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #188
hamannperformance
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 R8 V10+ Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmat View Post
Let's see how long it takes before coming back but I find this stick to be more silent than Gummi Pflege or teflon sprays (sorry didn't try the tape method).

Thanks!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmat View Post

Thanks!

Quote:

I'm going on 8 months with the vehicle sitting in the sun with no creaks still.
Appreciate 1
desmat36.50
      08-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #189
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I actually figured it out today (at least I think so). It has nothing to do with using lubiing products and has everything to do with keeping your door sills clean. I did a THOROUGH cleaning 9f all my sills today and they were dirty as hell. Car is now rattle free (for now)!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #190
ndshgyta
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
I actually figured it out today (at least I think so). It has nothing to do with using lubiing products and has everything to do with keeping your door sills clean. I did a THOROUGH cleaning 9f all my sills today and they were dirty as hell. Car is now rattle free (for now)!
What do you use to clean the seals ?
Alcohol or not ?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #191
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndshgyta View Post
What do you use to clean the seals ?
Alcohol or not ?
I actually just used WD40 on where the Shadowline meets the seals and that did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #192
aisingh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Had this on a f10, i suggest you ensure you do not have any polish on the metal that meets where the rubber sills are, also apply gummipflede to the rubber seals. Make sure you do not apply any silocon based products either. I suspect if you wind down the window by 1 or 2mm the noise will go away aswell. It could also be coming from where the seatbelt comes out of the b pillar as well potentially ( i dont have a dix for that)
I have this noise on my new 330i M Sport F30 LCI. It is as described in this thread- a rustling sound occuring only when the car goes over rough surfaces. The sound stops if the window is opened 1-2 mm.

After going through the entire thread, it seems the solution is either to replace the door beading seal that touches the sport line trim, or use adhesive teflon tape between the two contacting surfaces.

However, since the sound stops if the window is brought down 1-2mm, how about inserting a bit of foam or a similar packing material that would stop the window 1-2mm short of fully rolled up?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #193
aisingh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i LCI M Sport

Sorted by BMW Service Center by applying a special (and reportedly very expensive) 3M tape on the sportline gloss trim. Hope it lasts.

Here are the pictures. Please click on the thumbnails for clear pics.

The tape has to be pasted on the gloss trim plastic exactly as shown. The top edge should protrude about 1-2mm above the felt beading/rubber, as shown in the first picture. The tape is by 3M, but it's an internal supply within BMW so I do not know the type/name.

Last edited by aisingh; 09-05-2019 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Additional details and pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #194
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisingh View Post
Sorted by BMW Service Center by applying a special (and reportedly very expensive) 3M tape on the sportline gloss trim. Hope it lasts.
This stuff worked really well for me:

https://www.amazon.com/AGS-SG8-Lubri...omotive&sr=1-1
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:53 AM   #195
GoyuBilo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3.20 ied

I just registered to say "you are awesome" guys.
I tried both tape and ags stick. no more noise from the rubber-shadow.
but "door" started to make a noise unfortunately.
Appreciate 0