F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Summer vs. All Season Tires in NJ? Help!
Extreme Powerhouse

09-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
wbmorey
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport, MT

Summer vs. All Season Tires in NJ? Help!

Picking up a 2014 335i (MT, RWD) this Tuesday. I live in NJ and I believe the car came from california, so it has summer performance tires on it (bridgestone run-flats). The dealer (who drives an older M3) tells me that as long as I don't drive in the snow, the summer times will be OK in the winter. While I can avoid driving in the snow (I live at the beach, it does not snow as much here as the mainland), I will be driving this car in sub-40 degree temperatures for probably 5 months straight.

Can people please opine on whether or not summer performance tires are a good idea during those months or should I switch them out for all season or winter/snow tires?

I have been driving an F-150 for 8 years, so I am buying the car to drive and do want the performance all year.

Thanks! I am pumped to be joining the family and these forums have been a great resource so far!

Last edited by wbmorey; 09-14-2014 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

The non-AWD (i.e. Not X drive) don't do well in the snow and I think you will need every advantage so suggest a back up set of snow tires or, as an alternative, all weather tires. I suggest you go to tire rack.com and review the rating matrices, paying particular attention to the snow and wet ratings. You should look for both ratings in the green. I had the best luck with Continental's Conti Pro Contact for commutes in central NJ and the Jersey shore.

Good luck with your new car.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Imperial Blue

Summer tires aren't recommended under 7 degrees Celsius. (About 40-45 degrees Fahrenheit i dont feel like doing the math ) so i assume you would lose all grip versus hot weather aka lose performance like you stated. So i would buy a set of all weather or even snow tires if you already have the summers the car came with.
Appreciate 0