F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M performance shift knob not compatible with f30 with m sport models??
GetBMWParts

05-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #67
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

Holy crap shut up guys if Sedan_Clan sees this we're all in for another round again.

But technically he's right, if we want to argue semantics. Less distance traveled by your hand does not equal shorter throw. It's the distance travelled by the shifter itself that dictates the throw. A shorter knob means your hand is much closer to the shifter shaft so your hand doesn't have to move as much to shift gears but the shifter is still travelling the same distance as before.

In my masterfully drawn diagram below you can see this. A shorter knob does shorten your hand movement distance (green line) at the expense of (probably negligible) increased effort, but does nothing to reduce the shifter movement distance (blue line), which is what really shortens the throw.
Attached Images

Last edited by Emilim; 05-05-2016 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #68
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

by the arguments presented here, there is a way to shorten the "throw" without changing anything
just grab a hold of the shifter BELOW the knob and shift
that'd be the equivalent of shortening the shift knob significantly without changing the actual shifter

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #69
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Lol this thread!

Its like the mute speaking to the hard of hearing....

Its just a question of perspective, but essentially we are all saying the same thing but in different language...

@XKxRome0ox you are correct. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #70
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
by the arguments presented here, there is a way to shorten the "throw" without changing anything
just grab a hold of the shifter BELOW the knob and shift
that'd be the equivalent of shortening the shift knob significantly without changing the actual shifter
Yeah. I think people is confusing smaller hand movement with a shorter throw. A shorter knob merely gives you the illusion of a shorter throw but mechanically the shifter assembly underneath is still going through exactly the same movements as before so you're really just trading a longer leverage for a shorter one at the expense of increased effort to move the leverage. Just basic physics.

Some people do find it "easier" or even faster to shift with a short knob because their hand don't have to move as much and they don't really notice the increased effort (or even assume it's because of the "weighted" knob). But that's purely a personal preference, not a mechanical improvement.
Appreciate 0