F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Pirelli Cinturato; My Review
Studio RSR

01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Pirelli Cinturato; My Review

Finally been getting some snow here, and I took my car out last weekend in about 1/2 inch to an inch of snow. I run 18"s oem and the Pirelli Cinturato tires.

Let me tell you I was thoroughly disappointed! I don't understand how they can call these tires all seasons. The car was struggling in even the smallest slush of snow. It's all in the tires. They do not like the cold at all! I'll sum this up by saying I have no confidence in these tires, and if I ever got caught in some serious weather I don't think they would get me home.

To add I've had continentals in the past on my BMW's and they worked far better in the snow even blizzards, I still made it home (struggled) but still made it. Sorry but these pirellis are not worthy of being called all seasons.

On a more positive outlook they were superb in the 60 plus degree days.
      01-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Joopster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Finally been getting some snow here, and I took my car out last weekend in about 1/2 inch to an inch of snow. I run 18"s oem and the Pirelli Cinturato tires.

Let me tell you I was thoroughly disappointed! I don't understand how they can call these tires all seasons. The car was struggling in even the smallest slush of snow. It's all in the tires. They do not like the cold at all! I'll sum this up by saying I have no confidence in these tires, and if I ever got caught in some serious weather I don't think they would get me home.

To add I've had continentals in the past on my BMW's and they worked far better in the snow even blizzards, I still made it home (struggled) but still made it. Sorry but these pirellis are not worthy of being called all seasons.

I would only use dedicated winter tires for the winter months if you live in an area that gets a decent amount of snow. You'll be much happier with the ride. More importantly, you'll be much safer on the roads.

Check out the Bridgestone Blizzak tires. I'm currently driving with the Blizzak LM-60 winter performance tires on my F30. They grip nicely over snow and ice (and slush). Excellent dry handling performance as well.

Winter tires definitely make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X-drive

all seasons = no seasons

There is a better tire out there for every season. All seasons are a compromise in every type of weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

I agree with the OP, these Pirelli's suck in the snow. They're sNOw tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Haven't gotten to test mine yet but this is disappointing to hear. Thought I had read some good reviews on here about them.

If I don't have any better luck, sounds like I am headed for a set of 19" summer wheels and I'll put snows on the stock 18's. That or switch to continental all seasons, which I too have had good luck with.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
all seasons = no seasons

There is a better tire out there for every season. All seasons are a compromise in every type of weather.
How true !

As for winter performance tires, I have found that Pirelli 240 Sottozero II tires handle very well in wet, dry, snowy or ice conditions. They also ride well and they are very quiet up to 140 kph (86 mph). These are the winter tires recommended and approved by BMW for the F30.

Here's a photo of the Pirelli snow tire mounted on a 18" Modern line alloy wheel:
Attached Images

01-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JooFoo View Post
I would only use dedicated winter tires for the winter months if you live in an area that gets a decent amount of snow. You'll be much happier with the ride. More importantly, you'll be much safer on the roads.

Check out the Bridgestone Blizzak tires. I'm currently driving with the Blizzak LM-60 winter performance tires on my F30. They grip nicely over snow and ice (and slush). Excellent dry handling performance as well.

Winter tires definitely make a difference.
Oh they absolutely make all the difference in the world. I actually do own a set of winter wheels and tires. Real Salerno rims 17' with Dunlop M3 sports. They arent the best winter tires but I cant say they dissapointed me the last 2 years, not once.

My 335i isnt my dailiy as my 328 was, so I never switched to the winter wheels, just kinda got caught in light snow with the stockers and thought Id share my insight with you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
all seasons = no seasons
+1000

Last year I threw on a set of conti dws on my fiance 328xi and they did pretty good, granted its an awd vehicle but they werent slipping and letting loose like these pirellis are either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
I agree with the OP, these Pirelli's suck in the snow. They're sNOw tires.
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Haven't gotten to test mine yet but this is disappointing to hear. Thought I had read some good reviews on here about them.

If I don't have any better luck, sounds like I am headed for a set of 19" summer wheels and I'll put snows on the stock 18's. That or switch to continental all seasons, which I too have had good luck with.

Yep time to invest in some winter tires asap If these are indeed the tires you also have, Id do this right away.
      01-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
I agree 100 percent. They are about worthless. First time I noticed was driving back home during a rain storm. Felt like I was sliding all over. My last car was an E90 with Michelin PS2 tires on it. That car handled like a dream. I have a service appointment on Tuesday. I am going to talk with with the powers to be about getting something different on the car. Either that or go to tirerack and get some new rubber for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:

they actually performed descent for me in the snow...but it was about 33, and not much more than 1 inch was on the ground. Given I drive RWD, I purchased snow tires that night...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

The Cinturato tires are junk. They have no grip what so and even in light rain the tires are completely overwhelmed.

I have thought about sending a letter of complaint about the tires to BMW because the Bridgestone Run Flat summer tires have better grip in the cold and wet then the shitty pirellis. And trust me... I work at a BMW dealership and and watch BMWs slip and slide all day with those tires. How an All Season tire can be outperformed in winter by a Summer tire amazes me...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
sydande
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
How true !

As for winter performance tires, I have found that Pirelli 240 Sottozero II tires handle very well in wet, dry, snowy or ice conditions. They also ride well and they are very quiet up to 140 kph (86 mph). These are the winter tires recommended and approved by BMW for the F30.

Here's a photo of the Pirelli snow tire mounted on a 18" Modern line alloy wheel:
really? my friend's c63 is running 240 sottozero II...but his car is slipping and sliding everywhere....where my 335 just drives like its dry on the road lol....i have bridgestone LM-60...well mayb because its a c63 hahaha :P
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
The Cinturato tires are junk. They have no grip what so and even in light rain the tires are completely overwhelmed.

I have thought about sending a letter of complaint about the tires to BMW because the Bridgestone Run Flat summer tires have better grip in the cold and wet then the shitty pirellis. And trust me... I work at a BMW dealership and and watch BMWs slip and slide all day with those tires. How an All Season tire can be outperformed in winter by a Summer tire amazes me...
This sums it up. Lets write a complaint.
      01-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

I retract my previous statement. I have the summer Centurato. SHIT! I need to grab a set of Blizzaks regardless.

Last edited by bmwluvr24; 01-28-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

are you sure you have all seasons?
the pirelli cinturato P7 comes in two flavors, all season and summer...

this is the summer tire tread pattern:

this is the all season tread pattern:

by default the sport line comes with summer tires, all seasons are a no cost option.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post

by default the sport line comes with summer tires, all seasons are a no cost option.
Hmmmmm very interesting, Ill have to look when I get home. Ill chime in later with wich pattern I match it up with. Ps nice find on the tread pattern.
      01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmmmm very interesting, Ill have to look when I get home. Ill chime in later with wich pattern I match it up with. Ps nice find on the tread pattern.
its also a different compound. the summer one will be as hard as a hockey puck in the snow. between that and the lack of siping, the summer one would be close to undriveable in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yep summer tire it is. So I guess now that I learned this, I should retract the statement, as how bad they suck in the snow and rain. Its because theyre suppose to Thanks for the post.

I suppose now that I have the summer performance tires my top speed limiter is 155mph correct?
Attached Images

01-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep summer tire it is. So I guess now that I learned this, I should retract the statement, as how bad they suck in the snow and rain. Its because theyre suppose to Thanks for the post.

I suppose now that I have the summer performance tires my top speed limiter is 155mph correct?
yup, 155mph
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yup, 155mph
Sweet, that would explain why my car went past 130 we were all puzzled.
      02-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Hybrid 3

Don't Diss My Pirelli All Season Cinturatos

15+ years of driving experience have taught me you do not need AWD for winter travel if you don't experience snow often.

Good all season (cold temperature friendly compounds) + good driving skills will see you through. For extreme conditions (3-6 months of heavy snow) a good winter tire is a smart choice.

I drove over 1600 miles in freezing conditions and snow in my all season Pirellis this season and never broke a sweat. I kept my speed below 75 MPH, did not try any aggressive passing moves and the car performed well on unplowed highway stretches and unplowed parking lots. Hills were not a problem unless you have an extreme incline to conquer.

ECO + All Season + 50/50 weight distribution made for a comfortable trip.

I know this debate will continue but the facts tend to support winter tires as being the better choice over AWD.

Autocar Tire Test

I think it boils down to Drivers' Skills IMHO
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEV View Post
15+ years of driving experience have taught me you do not need AWD for winter travel if you don't experience snow often.

Good all season (cold temperature friendly compounds) + good driving skills will see you through. For extreme conditions (3-6 months of heavy snow) a good winter tire is a smart choice.

I drove over 1600 miles in freezing conditions and snow in my all season Pirellis this season and never broke a sweat. I kept my speed below 75 MPH, did not try any aggressive passing moves and the car performed well on unplowed highway stretches and unplowed parking lots. Hills were not a problem unless you have an extreme incline to conquer.

I know this debate will continue but the facts tend to support winter tires as being the better choice over AWD.

Autocar Tire Test

Yes it ended up being I found put my Pirelli cinturatos are summer tires. This is the trouble. If it was the all season it would have been much better.
      02-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
sydande
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEV View Post

Autocar Tire Test

we just had a huge snow storm here in toronto, around 25cm-30cm...i have a 335i rwd with bridgestone lm-60 winter tires, the thing is i couldnt make it even out of my garage never mind about if i could handle the snow on the street, lol i dont know how much driver skills can help there
Appreciate 0