F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone getting the ActiveHybrid 3?
GetBMWParts

02-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #243
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

I bought one on Wednesday. Can't wait to get it. It's at the port and I will have it next Saturday. Bought a black with coral M sport. These cars are a great deal right now. $3500 Eco credit $4000 off MSRP and a $1750 rebate. Got $9250 off sticker. Also they have a 1.9 rate with BMW. Was looking at the 335i m sport but this was a much better deal. I have owned a lot of BMWs but this one has me excited. I have heard several numbers on the HP but I think 341 is correct. Thinking of adding the juice box and getting it up around 440. Just want to see my redneck friends look on his face when I smoke his Camaro SS with a Hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #244
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparker82
I bought one on Wednesday. Can't wait to get it. It's at the port and I will have it next Saturday. Bought a black with coral M sport. These cars are a great deal right now. $3500 Eco credit $4000 off MSRP and a $1750 rebate. Got $9250 off sticker. Also they have a 1.9 rate with BMW. Was looking at the 335i m sport but this was a much better deal. I have owned a lot of BMWs but this one has me excited. I have heard several numbers on the HP but I think 341 is correct. Thinking of adding the juice box and getting it up around 440. Just want to see my redneck friends look on his face when I smoke his Camaro SS with a Hybrid.
Holy crap 1.9%?!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #245
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Dude! I am jealous ;( why did not I go for it?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #246
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Just ordered one. Anyone care to comment on the manual override option for the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #247
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Just ordered one. Anyone care to comment on the manual override option for the transmission?
What do you mean by manual override?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #248
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Is it not now possible to actually disengage the converter (or the electric motor I guess), at will, in manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #249
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Quote:
Is it not now possible to actually disengage the converter (or the electric motor I guess), at will, in manual mode?
No. Manual mode only selects gearing, and forces the engine on. It doesn't let you command the engine off at will, or let you shift gears when driving in electric only mode.
      02-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #250
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
No. Manual mode only selects gearing, and forces the engine on. It doesn't let you command the engine off at will, or let you shift gears when driving in electric only mode.
Thanks. For some reason I thought it was now possible to stop the engine from keeping RPMs stupidly high when it (mistakenly) anticipates power is still needed after releasing throttle.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #251
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. For some reason I thought it was now possible to stop the engine from keeping RPMs stupidly high when it (mistakenly) anticipates power is still needed after releasing throttle.
Oh you can certainly change the gears to force the car into lower RPMs if you'd like. Another tip is after aggressive acceleration if the car is holding high RPMs, just slightly depress the accelerator pedal and hold it there for a second or two.
      02-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #252
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh you can certainly change the gears to force the car into lower RPMs if you'd like. Another tip is after aggressive acceleration if the car is holding high RPMs, just slightly depress the accelerator pedal and hold it there for a second or two.
Thanks. Yeah, I thought that holding RPMs high was an artifact of the torque converter, and since there is no longer a torque converter, we essentially had more direct control? But it seems your that advice would apply to any automatic transmission.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #253
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
Dude! I am jealous ;( why did not I go for it?
Would u guys quote and pitch , how much monthly payments on 36 mo /12 k miles lease you guys are paying in best case scenario??? On a msports car??
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #254
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
Would u guys quote and pitch , how much monthly payments on 36 mo /12 k miles lease you guys are paying in best case scenario??? On a msports car??
With discounts, will be paying less per month on a $63K 2013 AH3 (msport) than for a $53K 2010 335i (msport). Same mileage and more options, plus like $30/month less on gas (1500K mi/mo.).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #255
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I thought that holding RPMs high was an artifact of the torque converter, and since there is no longer a torque converter, we essentially had more direct control? But it seems your that advice would apply to any automatic transmission.
It's actually not an artifact of the torque converter, it's the shift program of the automatic. After driving aggressively, the car assumes you aren't finished aggressively accelerating yet. Hence, it holds the engine at the optimal gear for the fastest acceleration possible until it is convinced you're done having fun. The fastest way to do that is to either to back to Comfort / D or to lightly and steadily apply throttle.
      02-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #256
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Hybrid 3

Performance Hybrids Are The Future

I think we can say we are in good company...

McLaren P1
McLaren has dropped official power figures for the company's upcoming P1. The new hypercar will come packing 903 horsepower and 663 pound-feet of torque from the combination of a 3.8-liter, twin-turbocharged V8 engine and an electric motor. That's right: this sucker is a hybrid. The internal combustion engine features a few tweaks to improve cooling, and McLaren says the block uses a special casting to incorporate the motor. As a result, the P1 features a boost system that can serve up an instantaneous 176.5 horsepower dumped straight to the seven-speed dual clutch transmission. The driver can summon up that grunt on command by pressing the steering-wheel-mounted Instant Power Assist System button.

McLaren has revealed the last piece of the puzzle and announced its tested performance figures. The 100 km/h benchmark (62 mph) falls in "less than three seconds" while the 200 km/h barrier (124 mph) is shattered in "under seven seconds." Lastly, the rear-wheel drive P1 will hit 300 km/h (186 mph) in "no more than 17 seconds" (an impressive 11 seconds faster than its legendary McLaren F1). Those blistering numbers put the P1 among a very small and elite group, with members like Bugatti, Koenigsegg and Hennessey – the fastest road cars on the planet.

The lightweight electric motor, developed by the McLaren Electronics arm of the Group, produces 179PS (176 bhp), and is unique to the McLaren P1™. The motor produces maximum torque of 260Nm instantly from a standstill, greatly increasing the throttle response of the McLaren P1™, and peak combined torque of 900Nm is delivered from just 4,000 rpm. In addition to this, the McLaren-developed 'boost' system, IPAS, provides up to 179PS instantly. The instant response of the electric motor provides a sharper throttle response more associated with a normally aspirated engine, and the significantly enhanced air-charging system enables the McLaren P1™ to have more top-end power – the perfect combination for high performance.

The electric motor is mounted directly onto the engine, and all drive is channelled through the dual-clutch seven-speed gearbox to drive the rear wheels. Thus, the electric motor and 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 petrol engine work seamlessly together, providing more than just added ultimate power and torque.

sources: Autoblog & McClaren
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #257
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

^^^ that car is SICK.

The reality of the situation is that BMW is going to sink billions of dollars into hybrid/electric vehicle development over the next several years. The most advanced driving engineers are going to be working on the hybrid side. Sure, it might be a while to catch up to the incredible ///M cars that they already make, but it is definitely head-in-the-sand attitude to ignore that the next "great" BMW will undoubtedly be some form of hybrid or electric car.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #258
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's actually not an artifact of the torque converter, it's the shift program of the automatic. After driving aggressively, the car assumes you aren't finished aggressively accelerating yet. Hence, it holds the engine at the optimal gear for the fastest acceleration possible until it is convinced you're done having fun. The fastest way to do that is to either to back to Comfort / D or to lightly and steadily apply throttle.
Yes, if you temporarily need to accelerate to move out of the way of something, the throttle seems to get stuck in the high RPM. I actually thought it was a problem with the car. The stuck rev noise is somewhat obnoxious really. I understand how to break the stickiness by tapping the throttle again, but I'd like it to never do it in the first place.

Also with the auto there sometimes seems to be a lag problem where the gear won't engage immediately upon applying throttle, and you simply get high revs for about a second before any movement. That's dangerous, cause you plan your driving maneuvers based on expected (immediate) response.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #259
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

That sounds like turbo lag to me more than throttle by wire delay. BMW says the AH3's step load delay is 2.25 seconds as opposed to 2.75 in the 335i, thanks to eBOOST.

High revs followed by the power coming in is pretty typical of lag. I think people are crazy when they say N55 has no turbo lag. It definitely has a little bit of lag, but only if you start off with the engine under 2000 RPM and apply full throttle.

OTOH even if the car immediately gave you throttle, I don't think it'd make the difference between dangerous vs safe. That only translates to maybe a few feet and 5mph of difference assuming the car could have responded with full power 1 or 2 seconds earlier.

If you want that, get a SRT8 with a naturally aspirated 6.4L engine or a larger displacement turbocharged car where even without boost the car has plenty of power on tap.
      02-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #260
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds like turbo lag to me more than throttle by wire delay. BMW says the AH3's step load delay is 2.25 seconds as opposed to 2.75 in the 335i, thanks to eBOOST.

High revs followed by the power coming in is pretty typical of lag. I think people are crazy when they say N55 has no turbo lag. It definitely has a little bit of lag, but only if you start off with the engine under 2000 RPM and apply full throttle.
Turbo lag typically means the power from boost is not available until turbo spools. However, some power from the engine should be available immediately. By "lag", I meant lag from any gear engagement at all - as if it was waiting on transmission. This is in a 2010 335i (N54) AT. Before this car, had a MT 335i with no such lag (due to turbo or otherwise).

Quote:
OTOH even if the car immediately gave you throttle..
But these cars have always provided immediate throttle. I was trying to say that the auto sometimes (unexpectedly) does not immediately put the car into gear, for some reason.

The Activehybrid 3 test drive showed similar behavior to the 2010 335i auto, with regards to deciding for you to keep RPMs high after acceleration. Other than that nuisance, and unexpected softer-brakes (longer stopping with usual pressure), it was an overall smoother/quieter drive and I ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #261
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
For those with the M-Sport AH3, can you confirm that it does NOT come with the M dead pedal and M door sills?

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #262
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
For those with the M-Sport AH3, can you confirm that it does NOT come with the M dead pedal and M door sills?
Does not come with M door sills, does come with M dead pedal if you get black carpet.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #263
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Does not come with M door sills, does come with M dead pedal if you get black carpet.
Is the active hybrid logo on the front door sills, or all 4 of them?

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #264
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
Is the active hybrid logo on the front door sills, or all 4 of them?
Just the front. The rear are much smaller and just say BMW.
Appreciate 0