F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Erratic traffic info on pro nav
proTUNING Freaks

12-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Erratic traffic info on pro nav

Mine's the MY12 Professional Nav unit and I use the 'Traffic Situation' view quite a lot to get a quick indication of what the roads are like in my area. Since July when I got the car it's been fine.

Friday evening I make a half hour journey and the traffic info doesn't appear at all, but everything else on the map is normal. Saturday morning I'm getting traffic info (e.g. the coloured shading) for local roads that have never had info before! Saturday lunchtime, it's back to plain grey and now I don't even have town/road names on the map, it's just a 3D perspective grey background with roads marked out in white or black. Not even the 3D buildings are showing (for areas where I know they should be, e.g. central Brighton).

This morning I've got the traffic info intermittently... one minute it's there, next minute it's gone!

I assumed the town/road names/3D buildings etc come from the data on the nav unit and the traffic info is transmitted to the car, but don't know if the two are related

It did occur to me that maybe 'they' are working on the traffic info system, causing these glitches. The fact I started seeing traffic info for roads that didn't have it previously made me wonder if they were hooking up new systems or something. Anyone else (esp. in the southeast) having any problems?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

I've noticed the colour lines have had a mind of their own lately. One journey you can start off and they don't appear, another they come up but then disappear half way through a journey etc.

One time the Road Closed notice appeared even though it was closed on the other motorway carriageway and the side I was on was open and flowing nicely. On that occasion an alternative route wasn't displayed until I was approaching the supposedly closed junction even though the alternative would have been a few junctions before. On this occasion the road had been closed for hours so it wasn't even a sudden closure.

I've not had any updates that I'm aware of, although I did notice a few new roads but this may have been because I'd been zoomed out on high view previously.

Not much help really am I?
      12-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Estoril1984
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK
Mine's the MY12 Professional Nav unit and I use the 'Traffic Situation' view quite a lot to get a quick indication of what the roads are like in my area. Since July when I got the car it's been fine.

Friday evening I make a half hour journey and the traffic info doesn't appear at all, but everything else on the map is normal. Saturday morning I'm getting traffic info (e.g. the coloured shading) for local roads that have never had info before! Saturday lunchtime, it's back to plain grey and now I don't even have town/road names on the map, it's just a 3D perspective grey background with roads marked out in white or black. Not even the 3D buildings are showing (for areas where I know they should be, e.g. central Brighton).

This morning I've got the traffic info intermittently... one minute it's there, next minute it's gone!

I assumed the town/road names/3D buildings etc come from the data on the nav unit and the traffic info is transmitted to the car, but don't know if the two are related

It did occur to me that maybe 'they' are working on the traffic info system, causing these glitches. The fact I started seeing traffic info for roads that didn't have it previously made me wonder if they were hooking up new systems or something. Anyone else (esp. in the southeast) having any problems?
I've noticed the same issues as you Rob, thought I had changed the settings by mistake. One minute I had rtti, then I didn't.
      12-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Thanks for the responses, phew sounds likie it might not be the nav unit that's on the blink, rather it's something external to the car. Was driving for bout 75 mins yesterday and I had traffic info available for about 5 minutes of that

I've also had that road closed thing come up for no apparent reason - a27 by Chichester, road was open but computer said 'No'

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0