F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Forgot the Premium Package!?!?
proTUNING Freaks

03-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Ltd

Garage List
Forgot the Premium Package!?!?

Okay, so check this out. I ordered a 2013 sport package 335i xdrive a few months ago. I had a very short list of MUST HAVES. I wanted sport pack, comfort access, a white car, backup camera, but past that everything was gravy.

I even told my CA I didn't care about leather, but since I want the comfort access, which only comes in the premium package, that I wanted the coral red interior while we were at it. So, I sent him a deposit, mind you I have never even sat in an F30, and he sent me back the order spec sheet. I was busy, so I briefly glanced over it seeing the coral red interior, sport pack, and then told him it looked good. I also got the tech package, backup cam, heated seats, HK audio. All of that was on there no problem.

Now, 3 months later, the car will be here next week, I reviewed the new price/spec sheet and it doesn't have the premium package! I looked at it again and the original spec sheet did not have premium package, but did have the charge for the coral red seats!?!? It was definitely my fault for not catching it, so I'll just suck it up.

Unfortunately, every damn time I have to plug the key in I am going to be miffed about it. Beautiful...perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
you don't have to plug the key in.

Push button to start is standard now (at least in US models)
Comfort access only allows you to lock/unlock doors by touching the door handle.
oh, and that kick open trunk thing.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Half the people with the kick trunk can't even get it to work properly. You'll only really be missing keyless entry. Keyless ignition is standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post
you don't have to plug the key in.

Push button to start is standard now (at least in US models)
Comfort access only allows you to lock/unlock doors by touching the door handle.
oh, and that kick open trunk thing.
Ha, you have made my day! That is awesome. Like I said, I haven't driven an F30, but my E90 you had to plug the key in.

Shwew! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Congrats on the new ride. You will love it. I went form the E90 to the f30 last month and am loving it. I do have the comfort access and also had it in my E90. It is a nice to have and not a need to have in my book since you can still start the car without plugging the key in. I will say that the comfort access from my E90 to F30 is greatly imporved but the trunk pop kick does frustrate the crap out of me. I bought a 2012 leftover with no miles so I took it the way it came which was loaded to the balls with every option. But you won't miss the CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
Congrats on the new ride. You will love it. I went form the E90 to the f30 last month and am loving it. I do have the comfort access and also had it in my E90. It is a nice to have and not a need to have in my book since you can still start the car without plugging the key in. I will say that the comfort access from my E90 to F30 is greatly imporved but the trunk pop kick does frustrate the crap out of me. I bought a 2012 leftover with no miles so I took it the way it came which was loaded to the balls with every option. But you won't miss the CA.
Thanks, everyone here has seen a white 335 with a red interior, so I doubt I will post any pics when I get it...but I might! The only thing different I got from what i have seen, was the high gloss black trim instead of aluminum. I am not sure I will like that, but I didn't know the difference until after I ordered. I did get the red horizontal trim.

BUT, I really don't mind using the key to open the doors for the most part. A few of our other vehicles have had keyless entry and I don't really care about it that much. It's not that hard to put a hand in your pocket and hit the button. What I hate, is when you get seated and then have to dig around in your pockets to pull out the key to put in the ignition. Especially, if you have other keys you have to carry on the chain. Then the thing is even more awkward to plug in and the keys are hanging down the dash.

I spent about 7 hours yesterday really bummed about the premium thing and not having push button start.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
FEE
Ne Conjugare Nobiscum
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport MG/Blk

I did pretty much the same, but opposite. I got the premium package for the keyless entry and ignition (or so I thought). I somehow totally brain flushed the push button start. So now I've got comfort access when I don't really need it. Oh well, I'll just consider it a bonus!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEE View Post
I did pretty much the same, but opposite. I got the premium package for the keyless entry and ignition (or so I thought). I somehow totally brain flushed the push button start. So now I've got comfort access when I don't really need it. Oh well, I'll just consider it a bonus!
That is funny. Who knew? Other than everyone on here that is... My CA didn't know, but no surprise there.

I added $1450 for leather seats I didn't care about in the end, but oh well, the red should be sharp.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
FEE
Ne Conjugare Nobiscum
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport MG/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmel View Post
That is funny. Who knew? Other than everyone on here that is... My CA didn't know, but no surprise there.

I added $1450 for leather seats I didn't care about in the end, but oh well, the red should be sharp.
That's how I see it too, and I think I'll spend the first month or two popping the trunk with my foot whether I need it open or not!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Yeah, the premium package is a bit of a rip. All you are getting is leather seats and comfort access. I ordered mine with the M Sport Line package, and had to add the leather seats (Would not own a BMW with fake leatherette seats.....). The same applies for the sport package, just pay the 1450 for leather seats and you get all of the other options along with the package. Because the 335I/XI comes with so many more options than the 328, the premium package really isn't necessary. On the 328i/xi however, the premium package was worth it.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
Yeah, the premium package is a bit of a rip. All you are getting is leather seats and comfort access. I ordered mine with the M Sport Line package, and had to add the leather seats (Would not own a BMW with fake leatherette seats.....). The same applies for the sport package, just pay the 1450 for leather seats and you get all of the other options along with the package. Because the 335I/XI comes with so many more options than the 328, the premium package really isn't necessary. On the 328i/xi however, the premium package was worth it.
I have never driven a car with their Leatherette, but I don't see why, with modern technology, a synthetic material could not be made to feel/look/wear better without all of the negatives of hide. Maybe you checked it out more though?

I really have never found BMWs leather to be that great in the past and for all I knew, it could have been pleather. Seems thick, very opaque, and not pliable. My S4 had Recaro seats. They weren't as well shaped and fit as the BMW sport seats, but the leather was a hell of a lot nicer.

Not criticizing your choice, just throwing it out there for disussion. I will be happy to have leather bc of the color.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmel View Post
I have never driven a car with their Leatherette, but I don't see why, with modern technology, a synthetic material could not be made to feel/look/wear better without all of the negatives of hide. Maybe you checked it out more though?

I really have never found BMWs leather to be that great in the past and for all I knew, it could have been pleather. Seems thick, very opaque, and not pliable. My S4 had Recaro seats. They weren't as well shaped and fit as the BMW sport seats, but the leather was a hell of a lot nicer.

Not criticizing your choice, just throwing it out there for disussion. I will be happy to have leather bc of the color.
Well, I already own an E92 with Coral Red Leather and I love the smell of real leather. The leather has worn fairly well on the car, as long as it is taken car of.

I own a detail shop and have seen BMW's come in, some with leatherette and some with real leather. You can tell, it feels really soft and it does not seem as durable. I also would not pay $45,000+ for a vehicle and get leatherette with it.

Lastly, you also have to think of the resale value of the vehicle. If, for some reason you may want to sell it down the road, it would be a decent sale point to have leather seats and a custom color, like coral red. I bought my E92 used, but a big sale point was the Coral Red Leather seats because of how rare that color combo is, and it is a factory order only option.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I didn't order the premium package on our 335i and have no concerns about not having the leather. Honestly, the Dakota leather on our X3 isn't very impressive at all. It's pretty stiff and doesn't feel that great and makes us sweat in the summer. Hasn't shown age after 2 years of use though which is a plus. I looked at some leatherette on the lot and it looked nearly identical to the Dakota leather. 90% of people will never now the difference.

Had a 2007 ML350 with MB's proprietary leatherette MB-tex and it still looked new after 125k miles of use. Also held up great to big dogs trouncing around in the 2nd row on an almost daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Enilder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Call me crazy but I can live without leather. I don't know how many of you guys drive these cars with butt naked but I sure can't tell what I am sitting on.

And I have a soft spot for alcantara, which is NOT leather (not available for F30s, I know).
Appreciate 0