F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > ED Customs Clearance
proTUNING Freaks

06-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
DKNY999
Rep
Drives: F32 435i Sport+DHP

ED Customs Clearance

Does anyone know if customs clearance takes longer for European Delivery cars, compared to cars that arrive new? My car arrives in NJ June 17 and it seems to take a week to 10 days to get to dealers on Long Island for regular delivery - but I haven't seen anything specific to ED cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNY999 View Post
Does anyone know if customs clearance takes longer for European Delivery cars, compared to cars that arrive new? My car arrives in NJ June 17 and it seems to take a week to 10 days to get to dealers on Long Island for regular delivery - but I haven't seen anything specific to ED cars.
I can't answer your question directly, but I know what is like to wait for an ED car. It's excruciating to say the least. The ED experience is amazing except for the waiting part after you drop the car off.

When I do it again (and I will), I'll plan for it to take 10 weeks and put that date on my calendar. I won't think about the car, track the car, call my dealer, post on BMW forums, check ships, ask about customs, or perform any other actions until the 10 weeks are up. Then, when the car arrives in 8 weeks I will be happy that it got here early. Kidding of course. I'll probably stress each day like I did the last time!

Anyway, relax and breathe regularly. You car will be here soon
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
DKNY999
Rep
Drives: F32 435i Sport+DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I can't answer your question directly, but I know what is like to wait for an ED car. It's excruciating to say the least. The ED experience is amazing except for the waiting part after you drop the car off.

When I do it again (and I will), I'll plan for it to take 10 weeks and put that date on my calendar. I won't think about the car, track the car, call my dealer, post on BMW forums, check ships, ask about customs, or perform any other actions until the 10 weeks are up. Then, when the car arrives in 8 weeks I will be happy that it got here early. Kidding of course. I'll probably stress each day like I did the last time!

Anyway, relax and breathe regularly. You car will be here soon
You are correct, the wait is excruciating. And for some reason, knowing what ship it's on (Independence 2), seeing pictures of it in port, and getting notices of its last reported position at sea aren't helping to ease the angst. Maybe I should take up meditation...
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
hawkerdriver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I remember seeing my ship dock and it taking 16 days before my car was finally delivered at the dealership.

Relax and pick up a hobby until you get the call
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

They have to take everything apart, and the put everything back together... just to make sure you didnt sneak anything in...

Thats why...

Standard procedure...

Oh and they go and clean your car and fix anything broken for you, dent or scratches...

Relax it will come.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
Northcar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
They have to take everything apart, and the put everything back together... just to make sure you didnt sneak anything in...

Thats why...

Standard procedure...

Oh and they go and clean your car and fix anything broken for you, dent or scratches...

Relax it will come.
Yeah, here you can see the "taking apart" part:

And here is the "putting everything back together part." (As you can see it is taking a pretty big wad of chewing gum to get this one to hold together.)

Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #7
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Start buying mods to hold you over.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
Hound Passer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i Convertible

Redelivery of an ED car takes longer than a Priority One "new" car, but not nec. b/c of customs.

In my experience with 3 EDs cars are usually in and out of Customs a day or two after being unloaded.

Its the VPC/VDC that is typically the hold up. If you did not note any repair items at drop off and if no damage occurred after drop off then it typically takes about 5-7 days to get released from VPC. If there is work to be done, and especially if a part has to be ordered, then it's longer.

Next step is waiting for a trailer. Usually a car is put on a trailer a day or so after release from VPC. From there it's 1-4 days to the dealer. Then 0-2 days for the dealer to prep your car.

First two EDs took about 5 weeks drop off to redelivery. Current one would have been 7 but I'm doing PCD so it's 9. Waiting it out is excruciating but all forgotten when you get that call from your CA that you car is ready. Then its time to start thinking about where to go on your next ED adventure.
Appreciate 0