F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > OEM BMW tool to punch perfect holes for PDC sensors?
GetBMWParts

12-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

OEM BMW tool to punch perfect holes for PDC sensors?

I was wondering if anyone here has heard of such a tool?

I'm looking to do both a rear and front PDC retrofit for my 2014 M-sport 328i, but my biggest fear in doing the work is that i'll mess up my bumper when drilling the holes for the PDC sensors.

I first heard of the tool in a thread about the rear-view camera retrofit from bimmer-tech (post #38), but googling around didn't turn up anything. I was wondering if anyone here has heard of such a tool, where it can be obtained if available, links, etc...

I was planning to just use a step drill bit for the work, but if there is something that is even more sure-fire, then i'll go with that.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

I too was gonna suggest a stepper bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Just use a hole saw. At least once you get the right size, you know they'll all be right.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Closing the loop ... 18mm!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
saaltonen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I'm waiting for my M3 style bumper to come in to retrofit on my F31. 18mm was the right fit for the PDC sensors right? I had thought of using a hole saw myself, do you think a stepper would be a better approach?

Only really get one shot at it... haha, just want to make sure I plan accordingly

I already have the PDC on my stock Sport Line bumper, is there an adhesive mount on the back side of the bumper that I should order a new set of for the new bumper? I was planning on leaving as much as I could intact on the OEM for an easy swap back if I ever want to.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone here has heard of such a tool?

I'm looking to do both a rear and front PDC retrofit for my 2014 M-sport 328i, but my biggest fear in doing the work is that i'll mess up my bumper when drilling the holes for the PDC sensors.

I first heard of the tool in a thread about the rear-view camera retrofit from bimmer-tech (post #38), but googling around didn't turn up anything. I was wondering if anyone here has heard of such a tool, where it can be obtained if available, links, etc...

I was planning to just use a step drill bit for the work, but if there is something that is even more sure-fire, then i'll go with that.
I don't know about the tool, but if I remember correctly I had read in a thread that the actual marks for the holes are marked with a cross in each exact spot on the inside of the bumper, if you search for the thread I'm sure it will come out, it also showed how the holes were cut and whoever did it put tape on the paint where the holes where drilled so it wouldn't chip.... hope this helps a bit
      01-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
saaltonen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I bought an aftermarket M3 style for F30 so I doubt it has markings in the back of mine

I will just measure 1000 times, drill once.

Good call on the tape to help with chipping though, will give that a shot. It will be unpainted but still any bit helps I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaltonen
Quote:
I'm waiting for my M3 style bumper to come in to retrofit on my F31. 18mm was the right fit for the PDC sensors right? I had thought of using a hole saw myself, do you think a stepper would be a better approach?

Only really get one shot at it... haha, just want to make sure I plan accordingly

I already have the PDC on my stock Sport Line bumper, is there an adhesive mount on the back side of the bumper that I should order a new set of for the new bumper? I was planning on leaving as much as I could intact on the OEM for an easy swap back if I ever want to.
I really want to see how this plays out on your f31. Post pics of finished product please.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
saaltonen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns View Post
I really want to see how this plays out on your f31. Post pics of finished product please.
Will do for sure. Might be a little while though, not supposed to get here until maybe next week and since I'm pretty fussy I'm gonna take my time getting those PDC sensors mounted and such. I hear fitment is good but I'll believe it when I see it, never had much luck with even good quality aftermarket's in the past.

Really excited to see how it turns out though. Currently looking at some coilovers too so that would help the look as well. Still undecided about 19 vs 20's. I like the look of aftermarket 20" but the 405M's look silly IMO. Probably a VMR CSL Replica or something in black to match the sport line trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaltonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns View Post
Will do for sure. Might be a little while though, not supposed to get here until maybe next week and since I'm pretty fussy I'm gonna take my time getting those PDC sensors mounted and such. I hear fitment is good but I'll believe it when I see it, never had much luck with even good quality aftermarket's in the past.

Really excited to see how it turns out though. Currently looking at some coilovers too so that would help the look as well. Still undecided about 19 vs 20's. I like the look of aftermarket 20" but the 405M's look silly IMO. Probably a VMR CSL Replica or something in black to match the sport line trim.
Sounds great! Are you changing the front fenders to the m3 style as well? And do these bumpers come preprinted? Or is that something you will be doing?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
saaltonen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No plans to do fenders or anything else really. I might change my mind once it's on but the fenders are a bit much for me and wouldn't fit my build. I'm just looking for an OEM+ look, not an M wagon conversion. The sport line front bumpers just really don't have the same mean look the rest of the car does. The only other thing I thought of doing was the M-Sport or M3 Replica side skirts. I won't do that until the bumper is on though, the stock sport line look pretty good IMO.

These bumpers come unfinished, I don't believe they are even primed. In my opinion I would rather prep and prime it myself anyways. I will be prepping and spraying it myself, fortunately my family owned a body shop growing up so I picked up a thing or two.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry... shoulda posted some other pics of how the rest of the drilling/install went. The pics I posted earlier should leave no doubt how perfect the 18mm step drill bit was as far as fit goes.

The f30 m-sport rear bumper has cross hatches to mark the spot where the PDC sensors go, so you will have a guide. They are there for all 4 PDC sensors.

Some additional info that will help:

1) The step-drill bit is also better than a hole saw in that you can see intermediate results along the way - i.e. the hole from the smaller intermediate sizes will give you a visual confirmation that you are getting closer to the actual size needed without going over. For ALL of us OCD idiots in this forum, thats huge. With a hole saw you got one shot and if you are off, thats it. Your bumper is ruined for good yee-haw. And i can tell you are probably the most OCD of us all haha. You just want to use a stepper drill bit. Trust me.

2) Start drilling from the rear to the front to start, but you want to finish drilling from the front to the rear. The reason is that whatever direction you drill from will create artifacting (i.e. paint peeling) on the other side. Since you don't want that artifacting on the front of the bumper where it can be seen and is harder to correct, you want to finish from the front.

3) And for that matter, start with a pilot hole with the tiniest drill bit you can find drilling from back to front using the middle of the cross-hairs on the rear bumper as a reference point. Then you'll have a perfect starting hole to use from the front when you start in with the step drill bit.

4) I discovered that no matter how perfect you are in drilling, it will not 100% perfect. I should clarify. The 18mm drill bit will drill you a PERFECTLY SIZED hole. But there is still some rough edges of left over paint (albeit tiny bits) around the circle you drill. You will be able to cut away most of these left over rough edges with a knife, but at best its still manual job and it won't be perfect. I suppose an artistic type who has a magnifying glass and a tiny super sharp knife, and an extra 4 hours could do it, but for the rest of us... The only way to do a perfect job is to cut the hole first in an unpainted bumper, then to paint it after the (perfect) hole has been cut. Thats the only way to insure a flawless painted hole.
Attached Images

Last edited by squidlyboy; 01-02-2016 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #13
saaltonen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the detailed write up and photos! Always helpful to hear from someone who has been there.

I agree about the stepper bit, just wanted to double check. That fit was damn snug in the earlier pictures and after install.

Thankfully I am working with an unpainted bumper when it arrives so that makes it easier to do a nice job die to the inherant paint chipping associated.

Where did you get your PDC sensors? I might just get new and leave the others in the OEM bumper, what do you think? Also prices or part numbers would be helpful if you have them. Thanks again, I owe ya one!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #14
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

I got mine from Ebay. But the genuine BMW OEM part numbers can be found in roxxor's DIY thread. But it will cost you an arm and a leg. I haven't checked prices lately, but i'm guessing you can find 4 equivalent Ebay ones for the price of a single OEM one. But i'm just guessing here.

All that info for both types of sensors can be found in that thread.

Good luck with the project - you are lucky you get to paint after the fact - your PDC sensor holes should look absolutely perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #15
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Sensor came out great!!! The only way to get the OEM look is to paint inside the hole as well. But I don't think anyone would notice that. What did you use to "deburr" anything that didn't come out 100% clean? I have one on the front I would like to clean up
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #16
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

I used one of those precision utility knives with the little blade attachment on the end of it. It came out Ok, but trying to debur the rough edges of left-over paint perfectly around the circular hole was a challenge. As you can see, it wasn't perfect.

That doesn't take away from the 18mm step drill bit though. That thing popped the perfect sized circle for the PDC sensor.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:49 AM   #17
F30_335
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Garage List
2014 335i  [0.00]
There is BMW tool to make holes in bumber. But it cost huge money.
I was installed suround view. Camera in front bumper need the same whole like PDC - 18mm. So I just bought same OEM tool but from VAG. It cost just 20-30$
It has purt number BEA000001. This tool make ideal whole.
Here is example on plastic:

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_335 View Post
I was installed suround view. Camera in front bumper need the same whole like PDC - 18mm. So I just bought same OEM tool but from VAG. It cost just 20-30$
so it is the same size hole (18mm) for the side view cameras as the PDC sensors? I asked the same question in the Surround view DIY.. You wanna sell that tool... .. We can't get that tool in the US, will have to source from somewhere across the pond based on my initial search
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #19
F30_335
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
so it is the same size hole (18mm) for the side view cameras as the PDC sensors? I asked the same question in the Surround view DIY.. You wanna sell that tool... .. We can't get that tool in the US, will have to source from somewhere across the pond based on my initial search
Yes, whole for PDC and cameras is the same.
If you want, I can sell it. It will be 20$ plus shipping. Think it will be cheap becose tool is not heavy.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, whole for PDC and cameras is the same.
If you want, I can sell it. It will be 20$ plus shipping. Think it will be cheap becose tool is not heavy.
PM sent...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #21
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats intriguing... I'd love to see how that performs on a painted bumper. Do you have pics on the results of your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 02:46 AM   #22
F30_335
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thats intriguing... I'd love to see how that performs on a painted bumper. Do you have pics on the results of your car?
My front bumper is not good sample. It is wraped in protective film and after drilling whole in bumper, film not cutted perfect.

Here pic from vag forum.

Here is OEM BMW tool. As you can see, it is same like mine. Just check price by part number

Appreciate 0