F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F36 440i - comfort mode sounds like the car is switched off when driving in low RPM
GetBMWParts

03-05-2024, 01:40 AM   #1
chucky101
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440I F36 LCI

Garage List
Hi All,

The other day i was driving in first gear comfort mode (it was on D) i shifted with the paddleshift around 6500 but it didnt register and the RPM's hit red line for roughly 1 second until i let off the gas.

So now the car is acting abit strange and is very quiet between 1000-2500 RPM while driving in comfort and when idling. It feels like the car is turned off. It used to have a grunt. However it still sounds normal in sport and sport +

Another thing is, while in D and comfort mode, it hangs in second gear and third gear a few seconds longer than it should before automatically shifting and feels awkward.

The car is completely stock and I did a full oil change and topped up abit of coolant recently and was all good. No codes or anything showing up.
(I also did the throttle reset thing hold the peddle down for 30 secs etc.)

It is a due a vehicle check service but i doubt the BMW dealership would check this.

What could be something i should check?
Spark plugs, transmission fluid? pipes etc.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:20 AM   #2
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

It's in your head, bouncing off the limiter is not detrimental to a healthy engine. The redline is actually conservative, and the DME will cut fuel long before any damage is done. There are people here that shift at redline daily 😁
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:34 AM   #3
chucky101
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
It's in your head, bouncing off the limiter is not detrimental to a healthy engine. The redline is actually conservative, and the DME will cut fuel long before any damage is done
I guess so but im certain that the second and third gears do hang a little longer than usual in D.

I would be driving light on the throttle around 50km/h and could see/hear the RPM go to 3500 before it changes to the next gear. Shouldnt it be around 2500-3000?

I've had the car for almost a year as a daily and certain that its holding the gear longer. I've read somewhere that transmission fluid change would fix it?

Also would the VANOS possibly be causing the low RPM to be oddly quiet and a little sluggish in comfort? The fuel consumption is still the same.

Edit: I'm not shy at shifting on redline but the fact that it didnt register the shift felt wrong like the car was constipated ahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:52 AM   #4
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Not sure if you're talking about engine noise changing in different modes but the speakers do modify volume according to sport (+) or comfort. It's all fake. It's called ASD (active sound design).
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:08 AM   #5
chucky101
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Not sure if you're talking about engine noise changing in different modes but the speakers do modify volume according to sport (+) or comfort. It's all fake. It's called ASD (active sound design).
The Active sound has been disabled when i purchased the car. I tried to code it back on again but dosnt work not sure why.

So nothing is coming through the speakers, its all from the exhaust with the windows down.

The exhaust noise changes when you click different modes, valve opens etc.

But the issue im having is driving in low RPMs seems oddly quiet, like the car feels like its switched off i cant hear or feel the exhaust in D under 2500 RPM
Appreciate 0