F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How did this even happen????
GetBMWParts

02-28-2024, 04:55 PM   #1
Albozzz
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i F36

How did this even happen????

Hi guys,

So this is my wife’s car. She went to far over the curb when she parked the car. So when she put it in reverse, she damaged the lip.

But what on earth has happend to the big red circle on my photo? How did the white part end up like that? It really hurt my eyes… How do I get it back up in its position?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:19 PM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Looks like the front bumper hooked the rebar protruding from the top of a parking stop. Been there, done that. New bumper time.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:24 PM   #3
Albozzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Looks like the front bumper hooked the rebar protruding from the top of a parking stop. Been there, done that. New bumper time.
Yeah but I dont want to change the whole bumper since it now look okay apart from that white part bending downwards.

You can hardly tell there is damage on it. But from far away you can see the white part bending down (not on these pics tho, the angle is not right).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:28 PM   #4
Albozzz
Rep

So my question is how do I get that white part (big red circle) back up to right position?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 10:14 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Heat gun. Soften it, bend it back.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 06:19 AM   #6
Albozzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Heat gun. Soften it, bend it back.
So you think its only bended and thats it? I think there is something behind it pressing it down.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 07:31 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Only you can say if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 07:34 AM   #8
Albozzz
Rep

Quote:
Only you can say if that's the case.
It was nothing behind it. I think it has gotten ”out of its place”, but I cant figure out how.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 08:21 AM   #9
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
If you can't feel anything with your hand behind there, I would just put down a microfiber cloth between the lip and the bumper, and grab a plastic pry tool of some kind and start pushing the bumper piece up with it from the sides first. If plastic is too weak, you can grab something more sturdy/metallic and slowly start to wedge it up. The bolt is definitely out of its place, so I would first make sure it goes back up without issues. Once the bolt is near its designated thread-in hole, I would tighten it back up to where its supposed to go. In any case, I doubt anyone can see any possible damage that would come up from this.

Last edited by NxTH; 02-29-2024 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 08:25 AM   #10
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

It will be difficult to see what's going on without getting under the car and inspecting all of the plastic pieces.

I'm not sure how only that spot became damaged and not the lip, but there is a screw you can see in the picture. It looks like it was pulled out and is hanging on the edge of the plastic piece preventing it from being returned to it's original spot. It fastens to other plastic pieces under the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:53 AM   #11
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

the m-performance front splitter has a lot of screws attaching it. remove the bumper or jack the front of the car up so you can get view at all the attachment points on the back side of the front splitter. you'll need an 8mm socket and 8mm box gearwrench to loosen everything up and relieve the tension caused by the the front splitter being pulled on when it was caught on the curb.

looks like the lower middle attachment point is torn and useless now
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 10:18 AM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxTH View Post
If you can't feel anything with your hand behind there, I would just put down a microfiber cloth between the lip and the bumper, and grab a plastic pry tool of some kind and start pushing the bumper piece up
That could result in cracking the plastic. I had a 15cm round indentation 5cm deep on the outer corner of my rear bumper, source unknown. I heated the area enough to make it pliable and then was able to push it back out with my hand, wearing a glove to keep from burning my skin. After it cooled you couldn't tell it had ever been dented.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 11:36 AM   #13
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
the m-performance front splitter has a lot of screws attaching it. remove the bumper or jack the front of the car up so you can get view at all the attachment points on the back side of the front splitter. you'll need an 8mm socket and 8mm box gearwrench to loosen everything up and relieve the tension caused by the the front splitter being pulled on when it was caught on the curb.

looks like the lower middle attachment point is torn and useless now
This
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2024, 12:51 PM   #14
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That could result in cracking the plastic. I had a 15cm round indentation 5cm deep on the outer corner of my rear bumper, source unknown. I heated the area enough to make it pliable and then was able to push it back out with my hand, wearing a glove to keep from burning my skin. After it cooled you couldn't tell it had ever been dented.
I'd obviously be careful if I was OP. It's either trying to push it back himself with care, or like suggested, lift the car up and fix it like that or bring it to a shop for them to do it. I once had a similar situation to yours, but with a side skirt. It had dented and popped off from one of the attaching points. It might be plastic, but from what I saw it can take quite a lot of force. I used a few plastic tools to push it back in.

Another testament to the rigidity of the plastic: I once drove off with my heater plug and cable still attached to my front bumper (we heat our cars with something called Defa in Finland that attaches a cable to the bumper and the other end goes to a wall socket on the exterior wall of the house, this then powers an interior heater placed in the vehicle).

I had attached the cable, had reversed into my carport and next morning just drove off without taking the cable off the bumper. It was on an extension, so I got maybe 10 meters from the house. Heard a loud snap, and didn't know what it was at the time. When I came home, I saw the cable lying in the yard, it had come off from the extension which was still attached to the wall because I had it go round a pole just in case. The attachment point in my car basically had one loose screw on it. After tightening it, I saw no visual damage anywhere in the bumper. Interesting because this could have literally ripped half of the bumper off. Cable was toast. Quite impressed in the quality of the plastic. That said, always be careful when you are trying to remold something.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:01 PM   #15
Albozzz
Rep

I now solved the problem. Had to use less force and rather dismount some plastic pieces - push everything up and back to place, and then attach a screw/bolt and now its done!

Wife hade extreme luck not damaging this more than she did. After all, you cant even see it happend…
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 02:21 PM   #16
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albozzz View Post
I now solved the problem. Had to use less force and rather dismount some plastic pieces - push everything up and back to place, and then attach a screw/bolt and now its done!

Wife hade extreme luck not damaging this more than she did. After all, you cant even see it happend…
Glad this worked and was this easy.
Appreciate 0