F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > do I dare make my 98k mile n55 fast or wait for a lower miled car?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-16-2023, 11:48 AM   #1
L4zy.f30
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335

Garage List
2015 bmw 335xi  [0.00]
do I dare make my 98k mile n55 fast or wait for a lower miled car?

I have a 2015 335 with stage 1 and I love it absolutely a great car all around but if I get gapped by a c63 one more time I’m going to end it all. I obv know it’s not a fair matchup from the gate but it’s still worth a shot. Anyway is it worth getting my car into the 500s with such high mileage. I’ve done extensive/ preventative maintenance on this car and it runs like a true gem but the thought of throwing a big turbo and doing internals on it with it having 98k daunts me. I’m not in a position to get a new car atm but can spare some to build this thing the way I’d like. I have a good amount of knowledge on cars but a bit new to the bmw scene. Please enlighten me!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 03:04 AM   #2
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

This almost seems like an ChatBot response:

Altering a high-mileage car comes with its own set of risks and factors to consider. It’s important to assess the expenses involved, potential problems that might arise, and your future intentions for the vehicle. If car modifications are something you’re enthusiastic about and you have the financial means to handle the changes and any subsequent repairs, then it could be a worthwhile endeavor. However, keep in mind that pushing your car to its limits can affect its dependability. Therefore, it’s essential to strike a balance between enhancing performance and maintaining the overall health of the car, all while keeping your budget in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehomo7465 View Post
Modifying your car, especially with high mileage, involves risks and considerations. Evaluate the cost, potential issues, and your long-term plans for the car. If you're passionate about it and can afford the modifications and potential repairs, go for it. However, be aware that pushing the limits may impact reliability, and it's crucial to balance performance upgrades with the car's overall condition and your budget. big shot boxing
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 04:01 AM   #3
keithyo88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i msport rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4zy.f30 View Post
I have a 2015 335 with stage 1 and I love it absolutely a great car all around but if I get gapped by a c63 one more time I’m going to end it all. I obv know it’s not a fair matchup from the gate but it’s still worth a shot. Anyway is it worth getting my car into the 500s with such high mileage. I’ve done extensive/ preventative maintenance on this car and it runs like a true gem but the thought of throwing a big turbo and doing internals on it with it having 98k daunts me. I’m not in a position to get a new car atm but can spare some to build this thing the way I’d like. I have a good amount of knowledge on cars but a bit new to the bmw scene. Please enlighten me!
Since I am the least qualified to comment on your question I shall do so I am of the camp that believes that, with each model's strengths and flaws there is a unique character. Since BMW has a reputation for performance in speed, suspension, etc., the temptation is great to enhance each model, encouraged by many aftermarket products. As [gehomo7465] and [eluded] have well noted, as well as your own comments, you may already know the answer.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 08:01 AM   #4
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

It ends up getting really expensive. Are you going to pull the motor out or try to do everything with the block hanging in there?

Go to real OEM look through every single section and pick out the part numbers you think it needs or you would want to replace. Add them all to cart and you're going to be probably in the 2 to 5000 range somewhere. And then you got to do all the fluids and everything which is also expensive. All the little tiny gaskets and seals and hardware it just doesn't end. There's the clutch and all the driveline stuff / suspension while you have it apart. Maybe it's a good time to get some of the paint cleaned up too. It's a good opportunity to sit there and clean all of the parts. You can save on the labor if you do it yourself, but not really, as you have to spend so much on tools specialty tools and equipment that unless you do it two or three times it doesn't make sense to do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 11:56 AM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
500s means turbo upgrade. Do you have access to E85? If so i would just throw on a HPFP and race IC, run stage 2+ bm3 and call it a day. It will be significantly faster than stage 1
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2023, 05:44 PM   #6
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

126k pushing damn close to 600hp here. No issues. Rolling burnouts at 60mph :-) Couple Mustang Moments but no crowd killer
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2024, 08:10 PM   #7
halcyon_waves
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport 6MT

I'm in the same boat. Car just hit 100k this year and right around the same time I did chargepipe, IC, and MHD tune. Now I'm considering adding a downpipe and I want to do it right and go with Fabspeed - from what I understand, they look stock and will pass the visual test and also will not throw a CEL without a tune (I live in CA and have to do smog).

I'm debating if I should proceed with the DP, since this particular one is almost $2k... I think it boils down to the fact that I know my car is well maintained as I do most of the work myself and I'm quite meticulous, and a recent Blackstone oil analysis tells me the engine is in great shape as far as oil contaminants go. If well taken care of, these cars should go well over the 200k mile range. I'm still back and forth on the DP but so far I feel like everything else I've done has been well worth it. It's also nice to know that I'm well out of the warranty range, so that no matter what I do, there is no warranty to "void."
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 09:01 PM   #8
bimmerbater
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
500s means turbo upgrade. Do you have access to E85? If so i would just throw on a HPFP and race IC, run stage 2+ bm3 and call it a day. It will be significantly faster than stage 1
Agreed. For most people that’s plenty of power to have fun in, let alone hang with some c63s
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 01:26 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon_waves View Post
I'm in the same boat. Car just hit 100k this year and right around the same time I did chargepipe, IC, and MHD tune. Now I'm considering adding a downpipe and I want to do it right and go with Fabspeed - from what I understand, they look stock and will pass the visual test and also will not throw a CEL without a tune (I live in CA and have to do smog).

I'm debating if I should proceed with the DP, since this particular one is almost $2k... I think it boils down to the fact that I know my car is well maintained as I do most of the work myself and I'm quite meticulous, and a recent Blackstone oil analysis tells me the engine is in great shape as far as oil contaminants go. If well taken care of, these cars should go well over the 200k mile range. I'm still back and forth on the DP but so far I feel like everything else I've done has been well worth it. It's also nice to know that I'm well out of the warranty range, so that no matter what I do, there is no warranty to "void."
AA is a slightly cheaper option. I have been running fabspeed for several years, yes it passes OBD2 check and in my case it passed visual. In theory it could fail visual, but usually is not a problem as it "looks" stock so long as they dont use a mirror to inspect for the BMW stamp
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 01:46 PM   #10
halcyon_waves
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AA is a slightly cheaper option. I have been running fabspeed for several years, yes it passes OBD2 check and in my case it passed visual. In theory it could fail visual, but usually is not a problem as it "looks" stock so long as they dont use a mirror to inspect for the BMW stamp
Unfortunately AA no longer makes it for PWG models

I've been going to my smog guy for a few years now and all he does is use a flash light to check. It would be real nice to just throw this thing on once and forget about it... very tempting, but it's such a steep price. I understand it was much more affordable back in the day.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:48 PM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately AA no longer makes it for PWG models

I've been going to my smog guy for a few years now and all he does is use a flash light to check. It would be real nice to just throw this thing on once and forget about it... very tempting, but it's such a steep price. I understand it was much more affordable back in the day.
You can always get a cheap catted one and swap every 2 years if you DIY and dont mind the labor. Depends on what price you put on your time.

Black friday does offer significant discounts on this DP usually, but that has come and gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 01:42 AM   #12
halcyon_waves
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can always get a cheap catted one and swap every 2 years if you DIY and dont mind the labor. Depends on what price you put on your time.

Black friday does offer significant discounts on this DP usually, but that has come and gone.
That's exactly it, I would really prefer not to do the job twice every two years. Although I suppose if I do, it'll be a cakewalk by the time I get to years 4-6... Have you done the job yourself? How was it?

I was able to get a good price from Mike at X-PH around Black Friday, but decided to hold off as I was having valve cover issues and just changed it out myself.

By the way, I think you were one of the guys who said I could get the MAD Race IC in without taking the bumper off. Definitely doable, but it was a huge pain in the ass lol. Thanks for the confidence.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 12:15 PM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly it, I would really prefer not to do the job twice every two years. Although I suppose if I do, it'll be a cakewalk by the time I get to years 4-6... Have you done the job yourself? How was it?

I was able to get a good price from Mike at X-PH around Black Friday, but decided to hold off as I was having valve cover issues and just changed it out myself.

By the way, I think you were one of the guys who said I could get the MAD Race IC in without taking the bumper off. Definitely doable, but it was a huge pain in the ass lol. Thanks for the confidence.
I get that, that's why i went fabspeed. Yes i did it myself. I swapped it with the front of the car (only, not back) on rhino ramps in a driveway. The only thing that can be hard is accessing the bolt for the top v-band depending on how its oriented (only relevant the first time since you can change the orientation yourself going forward), or taking off the bottom clamp to the midpipe if the car has rust. Most people can do it in an hour after you have done it once. Just make sure you have a new gasket, new bottom clamp (generally one time use), and O2 sensor sockets. Kies has a good install video that is easy to follow if you want to see what it entails.

Same experience with VRSF race IC that is identical. I gave up the first night and returned the next morning to finish.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 09:39 AM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Do a flash tune and call it a day
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 10:18 AM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
if I get gapped by a c63 one more time I’m going to end it all.
Really? Grow up, you might get the chance to grow old.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:53 AM   #16
waxepo8875
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi

Quote:

Sounds good. traffic jam 3d
Appreciate 0