F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Removing failed touchup paint?
proTUNING Freaks

06-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Removing failed touchup paint?

So I bought a tube of touchup paint from BMW (mineral grey), and tried to use it on some scuffs from a too tight parking space. Unfortunately, apparently just taking the brush that came with the paint and applying it to the scuff doesn't work, and now I have paint that's more black than grey (I guess too thick?) over that entire area, and it's ugly as hell.

I want to remove the touchup paint without damaging the original paint around it. Would nail polish remover work to just remove the newer paint? (I'm assuming the original clear-coat and the opticoat I got afterwards would protect the original layer of paint). If not, what other options do I have?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
gtuel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MGM Sport Line 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
So I bought a tube of touchup paint from BMW (mineral grey), and tried to use it on some scuffs from a too tight parking space. Unfortunately, apparently just taking the brush that came with the paint and applying it to the scuff doesn't work, and now I have paint that's more black than grey (I guess too thick?) over that entire area, and it's ugly as hell.

I want to remove the touchup paint without damaging the original paint around it. Would nail polish remover work to just remove the newer paint? (I'm assuming the original clear-coat and the opticoat I got afterwards would protect the original layer of paint). If not, what other options do I have?
This will work: http://www.langka.com/

The "blob eliminator" will take it off pretty easily.
      07-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

Did you try other solutions to the scuff marks before you went for the touchup paint? Frequently, minor swipes leave cars with paint transfer which doesn't really hurt the paint that much. It can be fixed with some detailing clay or maybe some polishing. After you get the touchup paint removed, I'd take it to a good detailer and have them try some basic spot paint correction (assuming you haven't done that already).
      07-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Thanks gtuel the Langka worked great! Got rid of all that ugly splotches. Though the OEM BMW touchup paint stick still blows. Looks more dark grey/black than mineral grey.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Thanks gtuel the Langka worked great! Got rid of all that ugly splotches. Though the OEM BMW touchup paint stick still blows. Looks more dark grey/black than mineral grey.
Your issue is typical for all metallic colors. Metallic colors are VERY difficult to touch up.

Did you shake the paint stick well before using? The included brush won't work well to spread metallic colors. You need a tool that will allow you to carefully place a blob of the color and let it naturally flow to cover the damaged area.

There's some websites that discuss the process, but its not easy.

Solid colors are easier to touch up, unfortunately BMW seems to be getting away from solids....
      07-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
gtuel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MGM Sport Line 335i

Quote:
I'm glad it worked for you. I used the Langka products on previous cars, and it does a nice job, but it really depends on the quality of the touch up paint you use. I've since switched to using Dr Colorchip and highly recommend it, especially for darker colors. I've used it on my mineral grey and have been happy with the results.