F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Does the car automatically brake to avoid a collission
proTUNING Freaks

10-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Haarschmerzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i xdrive

Does the car automatically brake to avoid a collission

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi forum members

I know that the car brakes and closes the windows AFTER a collission.

But how about braking when it sees a collission comming? I think Audi has this feature.

Also: Can I change the sensivity for the parking assistant? When I activate the topdown view, the continues beep sound apears even if I have no problem making the turn or still moving forward quite a bit. Really annoying when you can't trust the continuing beep when making a steep turn into a parking space ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Maybe Volvo has that feature, don't know about Audi unless it's an option. The BMW has adaptive cruise that will stop, but you have to add it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Yeah I think you need adaptive cruise to be added as an option and to be active for it to do that There's also the optional "active safety" but not entirely sure if that does it or not

Certainly not a standard feature though
      10-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Yeah I think you need adaptive cruise to be added as an option and to be active for it to do that
Correct.

The auto-collision systems of other manufacturers aren't 100% but the idea isn't a bad one provided it's switchable e.g. ASS.

Either way I'd suggest concentration and practicing your driving skills is the best method for now!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
s1cksh00sbrah
Rep
Drives: transitioning to 2013 328

OP please don't take offense to this.

Is anyone else terrified of drivers becoming over-reliant on technology? I'm genuinely afraid that one day I will be in a terrible accident because somebody's car "Forgot to brake". Virtually all software has malfunctions or bugs...To see a complaint about a car beeping while it parks itself kind of signals the beginning of the end in my mind :/ I hope I'm not crazy.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
marseille82
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1cksh00sbrah
OP please don't take offense to this.

Is anyone else terrified of drivers becoming over-reliant on technology? I'm genuinely afraid that one day I will be in a terrible accident because somebody's car "Forgot to brake". Virtually all software has malfunctions or bugs...To see a complaint about a car beeping while it parks itself kind of signals the beginning of the end in my mind :/ I hope I'm not crazy.
No u are not crazy i totally agree. A car parking itself is however a crazy thing to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

If a computer can parallel park better than you can and guarantee to get 4" from the curb and never damage your 19" rims then it's a good thing, no?
      10-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Sorry guys, I think the OP is correct. I read in the F30 brochure that the car will apply 100% braking power within a few milliseconds of an anticipated crash to lessen the impact. It sounds like a great feature and I know it's on the Mercedes SL550 as well.

EDIT: Here. They talk about it within the video on page 41 of the digital brochure: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...a-178409b2fdd1
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
marseille82
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
If a computer can parallel park better than you can and guarantee to get 4" from the curb and never damage your 19" rims then it's a good thing, no?
It is until the computer goes nuts and wreck your bumpers and rims. Don't get me wrong, I love technology, but I also think that some things need to be left alone. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marseille82 View Post
It is until the computer goes nuts and wreck your bumpers and rims. Don't get me wrong, I love technology, but I also think that some things need to be left alone. Just my opinion.
+1
      10-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

The answer to the question is Yes, if you have the Active Cruise Control option @$2400. Note this option is not available with the M-sport package.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1cksh00sbrah View Post

There are terrible accidents all the time because people forget to brake (or some other negligent driving failure). Computers are not perfect, but I believe in time it will be demonstrated that the computers are overall far safer than humans.

Take a look at the Google self-driving project, over 300k miles without a single computer-controlled accident (there was a fender bender when one of the cars was under human control.)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Active Protection – preventative occupant protection.

If the car enters a critical pre-crash scenario, the driver and front passenger belts are pulled tight, and the side windows and sunroof are closed. If the front-mounted camera or radar detects an emergency braking manoeuvre initiated by the driver or the onset of heavy understeer or oversteer, Active Protection deduces that a collision is likely. If a crash is unavoidable, the system automatically brakes the car without any intervention required from the driver. Following the initial impact, the car is then slowed to a standstill with maximum deceleration of 5 m/s2 and its brakes locked for a further 1.5 seconds. This reduces the likelihood of – or even prevents – a second collision.

So it seems that you need the radar or front mounted camera for this system to work.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by marseille82 View Post
Sure, that could happen, but how many people curb their rims at least once every few years? Most likely the computer will be more reliable than human beings overall.

If you believe you're above-average in your parking skills, you always have the option of not using them. Why not allow those with average (or below-average) parking skills an option to do it better?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia View Post
So it seems that you need the radar or front mounted camera for this system to work.
Specifically, you need the active cruise control feature. The front mounted camera is included with other packages, but does not guarantee the auto braking feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #16
Haarschmerzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i xdrive

Thanks for all the answers.

I'm a little bit disappointed that the car only autobrakes to "lessen the impact" when the crash is already unavoidable. While I see your point, I don't think anyone is going to say: I'm not gonna brake carfully anymore, the car will do fullon emergency braking anyway..

Also about the beeping: the only thing where the beeping would really help is when making a sharp turn into a parking space and you dont know it the angle is enough to not touch the other car/pole... But the beeping is too sensitive. I can easy do the turns even if the continous beeping starts. So the beeping never helps. I hate the beeping!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #17
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Yep, my understanding is that the BMW system is only working when the 'Active Cruise Control option is fitted and active. Over here you can buy fairly basic Fords that have automatic braking (under 20mph / obstacle detected in path of vehicle) fitted as standard. I also believe that in future the top Euro NCAP rating will only be given to cars with this feature.

Do I think drivers are going to start relying on the car to do the braking for them? No. I'd like to think that it's basic human nature (self preservation) to try and avoid a collision and these systems are just there for the odd occasions where the driver fails to brake because they're being inattentive or distracted, so I'm all in favour of it.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #18
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Do I think drivers are going to start relying on the car to do the braking for them? No. I'd like to think that it's basic human nature (self preservation) to try and avoid a collision and these systems are just there for the odd occasions where the driver fails to brake because they're being inattentive or distracted, so I'm all in favour of it.
Couldn't agree more. It's there "just in case", not in lieu of the driver
      10-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #19
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
The answer to the question is Yes, if you have the Active Cruise Control option @$2400. Note this option is not available with the M-sport package.
I have M sport and ACC.

I get a warning (Red car in HUD and display) when the system is concerned but it doesn't brake, maybe it will if the crash is unavoidable.

If the cruise is active it brakes some, but wants me to brake harder by flashing the icon.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
Sure, that could happen, but how many people curb their rims at least once every few years? Most likely the computer will be more reliable than human beings overall.

If you believe you're above-average in your parking skills, you always have the option of not using them. Why not allow those with average (or below-average) parking skills an option to do it better?
Do you not think that ability to park a car is a basic driving skill? If you can't park should you even be behind the wheel of a car?

Another thing about these electronic aids, use them all the time and you lose the practice to do it yourself. That is why airline pilots have to do 1 in 3 landings without auto pilot.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Available in Europe on M Sport, as I have it on mine (still waiting for car), only available on Auto.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #22
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
I have M sport and ACC.

I get a warning (Red car in HUD and display) when the system is concerned but it doesn't brake, maybe it will if the crash is unavoidable.

If the cruise is active it brakes some, but wants me to brake harder by flashing the icon.
Interested to know what happens if you ignore the flashing icon, will it up the brake pressure?
Appreciate 0