F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 435i F33 M Sport - Nuance help
GetBMWParts

06-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
LondonF33
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport

435i F33 M Sport - Nuance help

Hoping someone can help with this!

I have a late 2015 435i M Sport with all the options except for enhanced bluetooth. I can't get the dictation function to work on emails in office...this is what happened.

In the car: get to the spelling of words, centre button says 'voice dictate' so I hit that. I get the nuance logo and it tells me it doesn't recognise my email. At this point I don't have the email I used for connected drive set up...I can't do this in the car so stop.

In Connected drive: I see at the bottom it says this...

Configure the dictation function
Messages, texts or memos can be created and sent with ease using the dictation function and integrated speech recognition. Here you have the option of transferring your own personal vocabulary to the service provider Nuance in order to help the speech recognition recognise your own custom terms and names.
This vehicle is not linked to an account with Nuance. Please register for the dictation function from Nuance first from the vehicle.

So I call BMW Customer Service - they tell me I shouldn't be able to see the voice dictate bit in the car or on my connected drive screen....because I don't have enhanced BT I can't use dictation functionality.

I then call the dealer as I am now mad...as I said I got all but a couple of minor extras, and he tells me that I do have it but because I have an iPhone 6 it won't work, he blames the phone.

My very long winded questions are therefore:
- do I need enhanced BT for dictation to work or do I need a better phone?
- do I need an account with nuance before any of this will work anyway?
- how the heck do I set it up as the car, BMW and Nuance aren't helping!

I live in London and have to store the car 100 miles away so will have to do this in a few weeks - can anyone help because I'm fuming mad that I specifically asked when I ordered the car for this and was told it was included, then when I try it nobody can define what's right.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
GeertB
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran coupé

I would go back to the dealer and ask an explanation.
Maybe they can show you it works with another phone?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #3
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

The Nuance voice recognition only works with Android.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:03 AM   #4
LondonF33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeertB View Post
I would go back to the dealer and ask an explanation.
Maybe they can show you it works with another phone?
I have and he's saying it's the iPhone - I haven't been able to physically take the car in yet - it's a long trip...I think you're right and this is what will end up happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
The Nuance voice recognition only works with Android.
Nuance and BMW tell me otherwise - apparently there is an app for IOS (which I now have but haven't used) called Dragon Dictation that solves this, I have no idea how. The dealer did mention this though hence blaming the phone and said the app that used to tie Apple to the car is no longer available but to try that one.

In summary is the ability to do this actually in my car but because I have an Apple phone it's not going to work until that changes? And nothing to do with enhanced BT?

If it is enhanced BT I'm missing then that's a big problem....if it's just my rubbish iPhone then fine, I can fix that.

Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Does Dragon Dictation actually integrate with iDrive, though?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
LondonF33
Rep

It would seem not....I have now given up, doesn't seem that anybody but me cares about this function when calling BMW, Nuance or Apple!
Appreciate 0