F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Track Events in the Bay Area
GetBMWParts

04-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
not.ramos
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2C

Track Events in the Bay Area

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to track scene but I'm interested in tracking my 335i at least once.

What track events are in the Bay Area, how do I get started, what are the requirements, and how much is it?

I know that certain events require some sort of experience and a restriction on certain modifications.

ULTRA MOTORSPORTS
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

I think BMWCCA has it. Check out the golden gate chapter. I think they have a track day coming up soon-ish? I'm contemplating whether I want to join BMWCCA...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

I was literally just checking this out today. I'm somewhat in the same boat as you, so Stage 1 sounds like a good place to start.
https://simracewaydrivingschool.com/...iving-courses/
      04-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos.33f View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to track scene but I'm interested in tracking my 335i at least once.

What track events are in the Bay Area, how do I get started, what are the requirements, and how much is it?

I know that certain events require some sort of experience and a restriction on certain modifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
I think BMWCCA has it. Check out the golden gate chapter. I think they have a track day coming up soon-ish? I'm contemplating whether I want to join BMWCCA...
Hooked on Driving is a good group with plenty of track days and a good coaching cadre. They're a bit more expensive than some of the other groups out there, but that's also a decent filter that you'd want (less chance of cramming too many cars on the tracks, unsafe drivers, ect.). It's a good place to learn for beginners.

Your mods should be fine as long as you pass a tech inspection (almost all groups require this). Download a tech inspection form from the group/company you want to run with and have it done at your next service or go to one of the indy's that does them (IIRC some might do it for free).

I wouldn't rely on BMWCCA for track days. The GGC only does two events per year (the first being this coming weekend), which is nothing.

The Audi club has a track weekend coming up at Thunderhill this Mother's Day weekend. They're an excellent group to learn with (especially as a first timer), and a bit cheaper too.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:16 AM   #5
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

NASA is really good to new track drivers as they have proper downloads per session where you can ask questions about corners and how to take them. For the first 2 levels HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) 1 and 2 you'd have an instructor and HPDE 3 and 4 you drive alone. Each level you must test out of. Very informative and organized but not as much track time I think. It's great experience for people with no track experience and need more guidance. They also progress into time trials. I also see spec Miata and spec e30 races there as well as some single car races. My experience is primarily at Sears Point/Infineon/Sonoma Raceway.
      04-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
Drunkm0nk3y
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
NASA is really good to new track drivers as they have proper downloads per session where you can ask questions about corners and how to take them. For the first 2 levels HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) 1 and 2 you'd have an instructor and HPDE 3 and 4 you drive alone. Each level you must test out of. Very informative and organized but not as much track time I think. It's great experience for people with no track experience and need more guidance. They also progress into time trials. I also see spec Miata and spec e30 races there as well as some single car races. My experience is primarily at Sears Point/Infineon/Sonoma Raceway.

Calvin can you send me more info on NASA. I've been itching to track the f30 this summer. I've done trackdays with my Motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
not.ramos
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2C

Quote:
How is your experience with Sonoma Raceway? What are the restrictions? I know Mazda Raceway has the 90-92 db restriction for sound on turn 5?

ULTRA MOTORSPORTS
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 01:35 AM   #8
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos.33f View Post
Quote:
How is your experience with Sonoma Raceway? What are the restrictions? I know Mazda Raceway has the 90-92 db restriction for sound on turn 5?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkm0nk3y View Post
Quote:

Calvin can you send me more info on NASA. I've been itching to track the f30 this summer. I've done trackdays with my Motorcycle.

https://www.nasaproracing.com

For more info. Sonoma raceway is one of my favorite racetracks. Has a lot of elevation changes, different radius turns, stringing S turns, off-camber turns, big long front straights. All terrific fun. Very technical but very rewarding when done correctly. not sure about the sound restriction as I always had a full catback exhaust so it ain't too loud.
      05-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #9
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Do the BMWCCA - they offer Novice, Expert, and Semi-Pro instruction WITH instructors. The latter is what sets them apart from the other driving "schools". If you pilot the car yourself, you literally learn nothing - and your odds of crashing on the track can be pretty significant.

I've logged over 1000 miles of track school time between the Miata club, Hooked on Driving, and the CCA schools. There's a reason the CCA schools are a few hundred bucks more. It's humbling having someone tell you when to brake, gas, turn, etc. but man that passenger seat live input helps. You'll log at least 100 miles in the day. And guaranteed, you'll learn A LOT.

The CCA also offers a less expensive "car control clinic" for about $150-ish. It's cones in a parking lot, but you'll explore the limits of your car in a space WITH A LOT of room. The CCA usually recommends this before a track school and sometimes requires it.

I'm a near 20 year BMW CCA member. It's worth every cent of that year membership fee. And FWIW, on your first service visit, that 10%-15% off labor/10%-20% parts discount from just about every BMW indy shop and dealer pays for the membership fee.
Appreciate 0