F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPod Classic Crashing?
proTUNING Freaks

07-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #45
anotherguitarplayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Garage List
2021 BMW M550  [0.00]
I've had to reset mine a few times. It will get to a point where it's only showing one album for every artist.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #46
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelayer_pres View Post
I've had to reset mine a few times. It will get to a point where it's only showing one album for every artist.
You have about a month to take it out of the car while its still a useful portable music player. After that, the heat will kill it.

This is not a software problem. It is a hardware problem. Your Classic is telling you its slowly dying. You'll realize this when it stops working and you take it out of the car and it doesn't work there either.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #47
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
You have about a month to take it out of the car while its still a useful portable music player. After that, the heat will kill it.

This is not a software problem. It is a hardware problem. Your Classic is telling you its slowly dying. You'll realize this when it stops working and you take it out of the car and it doesn't work there either.
I don't think this is the problem, at least in our case. Mine worked fine in my Miata for years, and it gets a lot more heat and vibration there than in my wife's 328. (We're talking Dallas heat.) But it locks up all the time in the Bimmer. Thinking that it was, as you say, slowly dying, we tried a brand new one in the BMW. It locked up on day one, in mild weather.

OTOH, I think there may be some electrical issues with the BMW interface. We regularly find the iPod fully discharged in the mornings. Either the iPod has continued to run all night after the car is turned off, or the car itself is discharging it. An auto start/stop can't possibly help.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #48
anotherguitarplayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Garage List
2021 BMW M550  [0.00]
The answer might be somewhere in the middle It lived for 2 years in my Infiniti center console. I had to reset it maybe 3 times in those 2 years and never had it discharge. I've had my BMW for 2 weeks and it already has discharged 2x and had to reset it close to 5. It does seem much hotter to the touch on similar days inside the BMW after a few hours versus the Infiniti.

FYI. iPOD diagnostic mode shows a healthy hard drive with no bad or reallocated sectors.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #49
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

For what it's worth, I have a 5th gen iPod Touch 64GB running 6.1.3 (I think), and it has worked perfectly fine without any crashes. I can get the BMW iDrive version, if anyone wants. I hook it up via lightning cable -> USB port in center console. It stays there for most of the day, even in this excruciating heat. I've seen temperature warnings on the iPod a few times, so I started taking it out of the car more often.

I use a Windows PC and Mediamonkey (fuck iTunes) to sync to my iPod. Works great. I'm quite content with the integration/playback.
      07-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #50
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

I think the issue only affects the iPod Classic. When using my iPhone 4S or older iPod Nano, I never had any issues using it in my car...and I live in PHX. The Classic on the other hand, constantly needs to be reset and fully discharges when I leave it connected. Yesterday, I thought it was completely dead. Resetting didn't work, connecting it to a wall outlet power source didn't work; it was just dead. I set up an appt at the Apple Genius bar and naturally, it starts right up. We wiped it clean anyway and I reinstalled all of my music when I got home. It was charged all night so I plugged it in to the center console USB this morning. Started reading it for about a second and then disconnected. I took it out, reset it and then started playing an album before plugging it back and it connected just fine. I don't necessarily think it's the iPod itself, but rather BMW's software. I guess they figure all of the programming effort should be spent on providing support for the latest tech so the Classic interface is now a little buggy.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0