F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Poor BMW Roadside Experience
ARMA SPEED

05-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Poor BMW Roadside Experience

My first and only long post here was my intro. I always thought my second would be about European delivery or my first M car. Unfortunately it’s this...

I was rear-ended a couple of weeks ago. Great news is everyone is okay. Good news is damage is minor. Bad news is I had a poor experience with BMW Roadside. Terrible news is I received a pathetic resolution from BMWNA.

Long story short:

1 - Pressed SOS button for a tow around 630PM on a weekday in Chicago (not Alaska), tow did not arrive until 930PM.

2 - First tow no showed. Second understood I had been waiting a long time so sent a regular truck to complete paperwork and wait with the vehicle for their flatbed to arrive. Roadside instructed me to leave the keys w/ tow truck driver.

3 - Auto texts for tow alerts from Roadside continued to come in for an hour after I left my vehicle with the small truck. Roadside had no idea where my vehicle was until late the next morning. They still don’t know if it was a tow scam or the second tow company took it upon themselves to send a non-authorized tow company. As a result, we (myself and Roadside) have no clue if it was on a flatbed for the initial tow to overnight storage. Dealer claims to be running some diagnostics to determine an improper tow while it is in for repairs.

4 - I complained to BMWNA about the wait time and the tow debacle / Mickey Mouse organization of their Roadside service. Their resolution was $100 which I found awkward and insulting.

Upon searching I see long waits for Roadside are not uncommon. Fairly disappointing. I would expect premium service to go along with the premium vehicle we all pay for. Any feedback on the situation would be much appreciated.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
tron1043
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
2013 328i M-Sport  [0.00]
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
Bummer. It seems like BMW could offer you something better than $100. Maybe free navigation updates or something along those lines.
      05-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

It's just contracted through AAA, it's not like BMW has dedicated roadside of their own. I'd assume that for whatever reason, AAA coverage is lax in your area.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Haven't used BMW roadside, but if it's anything like Mercedes' offering, tows are contracted out to local businesses. Things like flat tires, out of gas, dead battery, or lockouts can be handled by the roadside tech, but tows required a call to "our guy."
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the replies. Regardless of who it is contracted through, I would expect it to be premium service for the premium vehicles we all pay for - very disappointing overall.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #6
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite View Post
Great news is everyone is okay. Good news is damage is minor.
If damage was minor, why were you having the car towed? Was it rendered undrivable?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
If damage was minor, why were you having the car towed? Was it rendered undrivable?
Good question. Wheel & tire were impacted. Looked okay but I didn't want to risk it. #1 safety and #2 possibly causing further damage if it was out of alignment etc.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:21 AM   #8
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It's just contracted through AAA, it's not like BMW has dedicated roadside of their own. I'd assume that for whatever reason, AAA coverage is lax in your area.
Sadly, no.
BMW Roadside pays way less than AAA, so the pool of responding tow truck drivers is much shallower, and trending towards desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite View Post
[...]Long story short:
1 - Pressed SOS button for a tow around 630PM on a weekday in Chicago (not Alaska), tow did not arrive until 930PM. [...] we (myself and Roadside) have no clue if it was on a flatbed for the initial tow to overnight storage. Dealer claims to be running some diagnostics to determine an improper tow while it is in for repairs. [...] I complained to BMWNA about the wait time and the tow debacle / Mickey Mouse organization of their Roadside service. Their resolution was $100 which I found awkward and insulting.
I don't see anything insulting about $100, especially if there is no evidence or damage from any improper towing.
Yes, the wait was longer than ideal, but $100 should be enough to buy a few bottles of wine to get over that.

The fact that you went through all this trouble even though the car had only minor damage and was derivable - that's the crazy part.

a
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #9
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Sadly, no.
BMW Roadside pays way less than AAA, so the pool of responding tow truck drivers is much shallower, and trending towards desperate.

I don't see anything insulting about $100, especially if there is no evidence or damage from any improper towing.
Yes, the wait was longer than ideal, but $100 should be enough to buy a few bottles of wine to get over that.

The fact that you went through all this trouble even though the car had only minor damage and was derivable - that's the crazy part.

a
It's pathetic. Heard Porsche is just as bad.

It was an awkward exchange. Like I said above, not sure what a good resolution would have been but the $100 wasn't it.

Re calling for a to - I addressed in my last reply above. Would do the same 10x again if presented with this situation. Of course I would call my own tow and let my insurance pick up the tab.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0