F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > smoke coming out of the engine bay
Studio RSR

10-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #23
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacky View Post
after numerous phone calls being ignored I'm now dealing with the service manager who has so far been fine. He reckons he knows what the fault is but can't stay to much until it's been stripped and checked which will likely be Monday morning.

In eyes it's the same fault just hasn't been rectified. They've just put a new clutch in but haven't actually looked at what's causing the clutch to burn out
So the car is fine when you drive it but not when your wife drives it?

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #24
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

not sure what your trying to get at? I hardly drive it I've got a work van. she drives it to work and school runs
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #25
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
not sure what your trying to get at? I hardly drive it I've got a work van. she drives it to work and school runs
You state in post 7 that you drove it and it was fine, your wife drove it 3 miles and the problem started. BMW clutches have a delay valve which means the feel of the clutch maybe different to other cars your wife may of driven in the past. I'm not meaning to offend you or your wife, but clutches don't normally fail through a manufacturing defect, it's normally an outside influence.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #26
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

if I'm honest mate the clutch was that burnt it would of been near enough impossible to do and to happen again 2 weeks later tells me it's a fault and not a driving error
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #27
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Quote:
if I'm honest mate the clutch was that burnt it would of been near enough impossible to do and to happen again 2 weeks later tells me it's a fault and not a driving error
If the pedal was stuck down and needed pulling to get it back up, then it sounds like either the master cylinder has seized or maybe there is something jamming the actuator between the pedal and the piston.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #28
Lex G
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Smoke from Engine (AH3)

Hello, my 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3 has some smoke coming from the engine bay recently. It has around 65k miles. I took it to BMW service and they can't detect/can't find what is wrong. Help please.:
      02-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #29
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex G View Post
Hello, my 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3 has some smoke coming from the engine bay recently. It has around 65k miles. I took it to BMW service and they can't detect/can't find what is wrong. Help please.:
As far as I'm aware, AH3 are all automatics. So highly unlikely to be the clutch / master cylinder as it was in this case.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #30
Lex G
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Quote:
As far as I'm aware, AH3 are all automatics. So highly unlikely to be the clutch / master cylinder as it was in this case.
Yeah its an automatic. Does it mean it may be a major problem since even bmw technicians can't find the problem?
      02-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #31
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Yeah its an automatic. Does it mean it may be a major problem since even bmw technicians can't find the problem?
Could be major. Could be minor - or even virtually nothing. The first thing is to find out where the smoke is actually coming from - which is something that you can probably do yourself. First check your oil and fluid levels. If all of them are fine, then have a good look for any oil or fluid leaks - if (for example) you had an oil leak, that could lead to smoke. So could a hose that's fraying, parts wearing out. If it all looks good, take the car for a normal drive, and pull over at some point and open the hood and look to see if there is some smoke, and where it is coming from.
Also, what sort of smoke ? Black smoke ? White, like steam ? Does it smell ? If so, of what ?
All questions that, without the answers to, nobody can tell what is going on.
Diagnostics are good. But sometimes it take the human eyeball to actually look at things and see what's happening.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #32
W211F30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30- 335i M

I had a faint white smoke coming from the engine bay (passenger side).. thought it was a VCG but it wasn't.. Irvine BMW took care of it at no charge (although I'm out of warranty)
Appreciate 0