F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Seats vs. Regular Seats
GetBMWParts

11-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue E90 sedan

Sport Seats vs. Regular Seats

Are the regular seats truly deficient, or just "not as nice" as the sport seats?

I have an E90 with regular seats, and I have no special physical requirements. I have the most average 55 year old body build in North America: 5'10", 150 pounds. I'm the Bob Newhart of BMW drivers.

I've found my E90 seats to be totally unnoticeable over the last 2 years. That may be a good thing? I mean, I don't think of them at all, on short trips or long trips, on curves or straightaways. They aren't special, but they work.

I had an F30 328xi to test for two days. It was a Sport Line and it had Coral Red sport seats. I DID notice them. They were tight about my shoulders, even with adjustment. I felt less tension than I've apparently been used to in my upper body while driving. They LOCKED me in place. Now, of course, by comparison, I realize that I've been sliding around a bit in my E90.

Over short distances, the sport buckets were great. I have to wonder if that might be confining or uncomfortable over 2 or 3 hour trips?

My lease is up fairly soon. I want an F30. I actually prefer a Luxury or Modern Line car, but . . . not if I think I prefer the sport seats, in which case I would be (mildly) forced against my will into a Sport or M Sport that don't quite appeal to me as much aesthetically, although they'd be okay.

I don't drive like a maniac, but a regular drive of mine takes me 30 minutes up and down an exceedingly el twistola highway.

The real problem is that I like the Luxury Line, but the seats are the issue.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank BMW USA for making this, and many other option decisions, unnecessarily difficult, joyless, and stressful with their cockamamie LINES b.s. After all, it's not like there are other car companies out there that want my business, eh?

What would YOU do? Go for looks or function in this case?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Sport seats are more anatomical, or better adjustable to your body.
They prove very comfortable on long trips (provided they're properly adjusted before the drive).
In Europe they're sold as an optional for cca. 700$.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

I've been driving with E46 sport seats for 7 years now. There is no going back to bench seats. The adjustable hamstring support is worth it alone. The hugginess factor is huge in the curves. I notice that in other cars, with bench seats, I simply do more work fighting physics.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Sport seats offer more support and keep you tight in the seat so when you're driving you dont twist and turn, I find S Seats to be more ergonomic and comfortable for longer distances
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironysatire View Post
Are the regular seats truly deficient, or just "not as nice" as the sport seats?

I have an E90 with regular seats, and I have no special physical requirements. I have the most average 55 year old body build in North America: 5'10", 150 pounds. I'm the Bob Newhart of BMW drivers.

I've found my E90 seats to be totally unnoticeable over the last 2 years. That may be a good thing? I mean, I don't think of them at all, on short trips or long trips, on curves or straightaways. They aren't special, but they work.

I had an F30 328xi to test for two days. It was a Sport Line and it had Coral Red sport seats. I DID notice them. They were tight about my shoulders, even with adjustment. I felt less tension than I've apparently been used to in my upper body while driving. They LOCKED me in place. Now, of course, by comparison, I realize that I've been sliding around a bit in my E90.

Over short distances, the sport buckets were great. I have to wonder if that might be confining or uncomfortable over 2 or 3 hour trips?

My lease is up fairly soon. I want an F30. I actually prefer a Luxury or Modern Line car, but . . . not if I think I prefer the sport seats, in which case I would be (mildly) forced against my will into a Sport or M Sport that don't quite appeal to me as much aesthetically, although they'd be okay.

I don't drive like a maniac, but a regular drive of mine takes me 30 minutes up and down an exceedingly el twistola highway.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank BMW USA for making this, and many other option decisions, unnecessarily difficult, joyless, and stressful with their cockamamie LINES b.s. After all, it's not like there are other car companies out there that want my business, eh?

like you ive never gotten sport seats in my BMW's but i have some close friend with sport seats with an E90 and now he has a F30 sport line.
after driving with hte sport seats over long distances it feels just the same as comfortable as the regular seat to me. But yes the sport seats to hug you a bit more tightly compared to the regular but one thing you should keep in mind is during the winter time when you have a thick jacket. When i drive my friends car with a winter jacket on it is very VERY uncomfortable. it feels like the seat pushes you forward into a position where you dont want to be.
just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
I've been driving with E46 sport seats for 7 years now. There is no going back to bench seats.
with bench seats, I simply do more work fighting physics.
oh my goodness, I do hope you compensate with more fitness to keep your belly flat
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I wish i had the sports seats but in my opinion they are not as tight as others eg recaros. They are nice but i dont know i track my car as well and dont really nofice it. But is my body compensating? Dont feel like it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'd never thought of the heavy winter coat issue. We have to wear those from November until May in the North Country.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
oh my goodness, I do hope you compensate with more fitness to keep your belly flat
Hahah I don't have that physics issue, thankfully.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

I think the sport seats are one of the best things of BMW ownership. First thing I spec. They've always been great and just keep on getting better somehow. They're great, especially on long trips!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82, F30

go with the sport or m sport line. for you, it sounds like function is more important than form and with sport you are getting function.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
loosenit2
Private
Rep
Drives: 12 328i Luxury

I have a luxury with no sports seats. The sports seats were a sticking point for me, I didn't like them. I found the side bolsters restrictive and uncomfortable, and no I'm not big. After driving for 6 months I don't regret my decision, there are times I slip a little on curvy roads when I am driving spirited. Most of the time though I want comfort, not to be locked in while I drive agressivley.

Last edited by loosenit2; 11-30-2012 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

The non sport seats are flat and uncomfortable to me. I would not spend $40K+ on a car with seats like the non-sport versions, they are just unbecoming to a car of this nature.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
you could model

I, on the other hand, have to put down 6kg
if I don't want to change half wardrobe...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
you could model

I, on the other hand, have to put down 6kg
if I don't want to change half wardrobe...
Getting to this weight was just as bad. I went down 6 inches on my waist... Now even extra slim fit shirts don't fit.

Needless to say, my seats are adjusted for maximum hugginess.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Getting to this weight was just as bad. I went down 6 inches on my waist... Now even extra slim fit shirts don't fit.

Needless to say, my seats are adjusted for maximum hugginess.
Who cares about shirts when you can walk around undressed

I got this extra weight by working behind a desk from morning till late evening; I still do, however now I'm more careful what and how much I eat.

Hugginess and seat? you risk being trampled by gentle women feet if they find out you want to be hugged
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Who cares about shirts when you can walk around undressed

I got this extra weight by working behind a desk from morning till late evening; I still do, however now I'm more careful what and how much I eat.

Hugginess and seat? you risk being trampled by gentle women feet if they find out you want to be hugged
If only BMW offered custom formed bucket seats. A hardy German hug, if you will.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
If only BMW offered custom formed bucket seats. A hardy German hug, if you will.
I think you can order such seats by the German Recaro.
The only problem is getting in and out of those seats without needing a Chiropractic afterwards.

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/en/...ultima-10.html
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:

It's a shame you can't add the sport seats as an option to any line in the US. I had a base loaner F30 328 and was disappointed in the standard seats compared to the sport seats in my M Sport. They were unremarkable and I did slide around a bit when I tried to have some fun with the car. The sport seats are quite comfortable for me (5'10" 200lbs 42 jacket, 33 waist) and I can dial them in to keep me from sliding around during spirited cornering...I really like mine. Also, I've had several passengers comment on how much they like the seats -- I've never heard that from a passenger in any other car I've had.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:

In my humble opinion, LOOKS and FUNCTION both win out to the M-Sport and Sport Line in this case. Win win. But I understand that some favor the looks of the Luxury Line. That being said, I love the sport seats but my wife hates them.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

We are lucky in Canada because all 335 sedans come standard with sport seats. I was fortunate that I was able to get saddle brown leather interior from the luxury line with sport seats
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #22
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep

I envy Canada!
Appreciate 0