F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 USB cable location
GetBMWParts

12-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

JB4 USB cable location

Hey guys, I upgraded to jb4 a couple months back after having the stage one for a year. I do have the usb cable that comes with it. Want to do some data logs soon so I can see if I can switch to map 2 with 91 octane instead of 93 because there is none near me.(have er catless dp). So my question is, how do you connect your usb cable? Through the glove box to the tune, or through the same hole that the ob2 comes in from? Thanks in advance!
      12-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
smallba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_E
Hey guys, I upgraded to jb4 a couple months back after having the stage one for a year. I do have the usb cable that comes with it. Want to do some data logs soon so I can see if I can switch to map 2 with 91 octane instead of 93 because there is none near me.(have er catless dp). So my question is, how do you connect your usb cable? Through the glove box to the tune, or through the same hole that the ob2 comes in from? Thanks in advance!
i ran mine through the same hole as the the obd2 ran it down the center console and it comes out by the e brake between the seat. I have it connect to a 2 foot otg cable to use jb4 mobile on my phone (Android). i also have the the 3 foot extension for my use with my laptop.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #3
Joe_E
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallba View Post
i ran mine through the same hole as the the obd2 ran it down the center console and it comes out by the e brake between the seat. I have it connect to a 2 foot otg cable to use jb4 mobile on my phone (Android). i also have the the 3 foot extension for my use with my laptop.
When doing logs, what should I look for? Is there any average benchmarks set by everyone else?
      12-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320ayayay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_E View Post
When doing logs, what should I look for? Is there any average benchmarks set by everyone else?
Look at the ignition timing. It may drop lower under high boost, especially with lower octane. You can do comparisons with different octanes and different maps to see if the car can maintain performance as you raise boost.

Btw, I just purchased an extension for the USB at fryz and easily run it through the hood and window.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
I upgraded to jb4 a couple months back so I can see if I can switch to map 2 with 91 octane instead of 93 because there is none near me.(have er catless dp). So my question is, how do you connect your usb cable?
You want something even better? Buy tis. I did and it's great.

http://jb4connectkit.com/store/

You do have to pay for the app though but you have full and very easy control at any time.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #6
Joe_E
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
You want something even better? Buy tis. I did and it's great.

http://jb4connectkit.com/store/

You do have to pay for the app though but you have full and very easy control at any time.
Planning on buying it, Not sure If I should do it now or after I buy my m sport bumper?
      12-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

Yeah I need to log as well. I got 92 oct so I am a little better off and hope that Chevron or Shell will be good enough to run map 2 with a catless DP. And most of the time temps are low here as I am in Seattle. Just waiting till closer to summer to install JB4, DP, and Exhaust. Might buy Intercooler and just do it all at once.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Joe_E
Captain
Rep

Did runs on map 1 and everything was fine, then first log on map 2 and the car sounded like it was 2 stepping at 4k rpm so i let off and switched back to map 1
      12-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
smallba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_E
Did runs on map 1 and everything was fine, then first log on map 2 and the car sounded like it was 2 stepping at 4k rpm so i let off and switched back to map 1
make sure you have the latest and correct firmware, and nothing else besides the jb4 connected to the OBD2
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #10
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Huh? Can you elaborate. That's not right. Could it just be your boost fluttering? Had you just switched gears when it happened?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #11
Joe_E
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtight2me View Post
Quote:
Huh? Can you elaborate. That's not right. Could it just be your boost fluttering? Had you just switched gears when it happened?
I had switched over to map 2 to do my first run. I was doing a 40-100mph to log, not sure of the speed but i'd say somewhere around 50-60 at 4k rpm is when it happened. I went WOT hit 4k rpm and all i heard was really loud popping coming out of the exhaust. Wasn't sure why it happened but i let off and stopped logging. Wasn't the ordinary pops and crackles, it was much louder than that and was about 5 or so pops in a matter of half a second
      12-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had switched over to map 2 to do my first run. I was doing a 40-100mph to log, not sure of the speed but i'd say somewhere around 50-60 at 4k rpm is when it happened. I went WOT hit 4k rpm and all i heard was really loud popping coming out of the exhaust. Wasn't sure why it happened but i let off and stopped logging. Wasn't the ordinary pops and crackles, it was much louder than that and was about 5 or so pops in a matter of half a second
Post your log. Could be helpful to see how your car is running on other maps too. Was the car in automatic and shifting? My car makes violently loud popping sounds on shifts in map 2. I was pretty startled the first time I heard my exhaust shift under high boost with the catless DP. It sounds like a shotgun, or a bunch of pops at once, and sometimes just one cracking pop.

Try doing a log in 3rd or 4th gear in each map. Put it in manual and go WOT from 2500rpms to redline. Then post your logs and we can compare performance from each map. If you don't have the intercooler yet, and temps are high, then you may have issues running map 2. Sometimes ignition timing drops off, or the psi gets erratic.

Feel free to hit me up to help walk you through it in person.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #13
Joe_E
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtight2me View Post
Quote:
Post your log. Could be helpful to see how your car is running on other maps too. Was the car in automatic and shifting? My car makes violently loud popping sounds on shifts in map 2. I was pretty startled the first time I heard my exhaust shift under high boost with the catless DP. It sounds like a shotgun, or a bunch of pops at once, and sometimes just one cracking pop.

Try doing a log in 3rd or 4th gear in each map. Put it in manual and go WOT from 2500rpms to redline. Then post your logs and we can compare performance from each map. If you don't have the intercooler yet, and temps are high, then you may have issues running map 2. Sometimes ignition timing drops off, or the psi gets erratic.

Feel free to hit me up to help walk you through it in person.
Ill do some more logs tomorrow. What octane are you using? I did mine on 91, dont have 93 anywhere near me. And your help would be greatly appreciated! was confused the entire time
      12-08-2016, 02:40 AM   #14
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ill do some more logs tomorrow. What octane are you using? I did mine on 91, dont have 93 anywhere near me. And your help would be greatly appreciated! was confused the entire time
I'm map 2 on 91 so yours should work as well. I'll message you my number.
Appreciate 0